GrandTrinity

What herbs do you take and why?

What herbs/vitamins do you take and why?

I'll go first. I take valerian root sometimes to sleep deeper or calm nerves. Ginsing I take, I dont know why, I sapose it helps memory. Also, I started taking a vitamin B suppliment to improve eyesight and calm nerves, I find it helps. I also take a multi vitamin for nutrition and Omega 3 fatty acids because its got a lot of good properties, saposedly.

Main one I take is glucosamine. Fantastic stuff for joints. I have a dodgy knee joint after a footballing injury and it still gives me pain. If I dont tale glucosamine for a couple of days I can really tell the difference.

.... ok here we go haha

i have started regularly taking an oxygen supplement, i add a little to virtually every drink of water i have. oxygen is the ultimate of all ultimate detoxifiers and parasite killers, we no longer get enough from the air we breathe (cos of all the carbon monoxide) so it helps to move all the junk out (and i have plenty of it left still from a previous 15 years of a refined wheat diet ugggg, i was so niaeve and disconnected).

i take colloidal gold in the mornings, this stuff is great. blissful all day, and if i get a chance to meditate in the mornings (working real hard at the moment to pay off a debt, 7am start) the effects is increased dramatically.

i have a smoothie for breakfast with banana, kefir (lacto-fermented milk), apricot kernels (vitamin B17), a brahmi/gotu kola (help regain my memory)/withania (iron) powder, maca powder (peruvian ginseng, great stuff), and a natural joint food formula (MSM, glucosamine, plus a whole host of other goodies).

at the moment i make protein biscuits (using millet for flour) with guarana and some other herb, like ashwaganda (indian ginseng) or suma (another ginseng, forget which country) and other more general herbs such as cinnamon and nutmeg (also good for brain), and i have this for morning tea to provide the energy to get through what is a horrible day spent at this crappy factory. however i'll only be there two more weeks and then i'll lay off the stimulants.

usually in the evening i also have some colloidal minerals (in fulvic acid, a super antioxidant). i alternate monthly between colloidal minerals and a multi-vitamin/mineral tablet.

and i take colloidal silver every 4 or 5 days, just to keep the flus and colds away.

i also just ordered some chlorella, to help repair my damaged liver (from the refined wheat diet). so will have a small go of that.

i also make myself herbal teas at night, a relaxing blend, say passionflower, scullcap, echinacea, rosehips, valerian, hops, etc.

errr thats about it. but it varies sometimes... i dont like to be completely regular. keep the body guessing and all. dont get it reliant upon a continual source.

I take:

Reishi Mushroom (the Taoist mushroom of Immortality :), it is a Shen tonic and for vitality - it rocks! and has many health benifits)

a multivitamin - no brainer

fish oil supplement - omega 3's

flax seed oil supplement - omega 3's (Kundalini likes this stuff)

Nexium, doh! (for acid reflux)

the thing that was challenging for me was to remember that I AM still in a body which needs as much attention with the means of this world. I have never heard of a Spiritual Master advising people to NOT take a multivitamin or anyone else for that matter :)

To me with supplements and most other things in life, what is right for one person can be terribly wrong for another. Better to get in touch with your intuition by learning a divination technique like I Ching then do what everone else does.

Inner Peace,

Matt

Matthew, I see you take Nexium. You know the company that makes Nexium also makes OTC Prilosec. They are very similar drugs, they work the same way and are chemically very close. I think they also did a Claritin to Claritex switch when that patent came due.

From what I heard, when the patent on Prilosec was up, they made it Over The Counter and came out w/ heavily marketed Nexium. Cost difference $18 a month vs $100+. Effectiveness difference, neglible.

Try Prilosec, like Nexium it should be taken every day. From what a doctor has told me it can be used every day. I find it works just as well at a fifth the cost.

Google it to double check, but its worked well for me and others.

Peace

Michael

HERE BABY

RJ

Matthew, I see you take Nexium.  You know the company that makes Nexium also makes OTC Prilosec.  They are very similar drugs, they work the same way and are chemically very close. I think they also did a Claritin to Claritex switch when that patent came due.

From what I heard, when the patent on Prilosec was up, they made it Over The Counter and came out w/ heavily marketed Nexium.  Cost difference $18 a month vs $100+.  Effectiveness difference, neglible.

Try Prilosec, like Nexium it should be taken every day.  From what a doctor has told me it can be used every day.  I find it works just as well at a fifth the cost.

Google it to double check, but its worked well for me and others.

Peace

Michael

2543[/snapback]

post-9-1110952352_thumb.jpg

Ginseng used to be my wonder herb. If I take it now it really screws me up and I don't know why. Instead I spend a small fortune on a various high strength antioxidants plus a sprinkling of personally helpful supplements.

Interesting combination for men I found while at University: Take Ginseng, zinc supplement, Vit B complex and eat a lot of celery for about a week and the sex drive should go into turbo. :P

Dr. Schulze's Superfood first try soon

nature's living superfood first try soon

NOTE: as Dr. Schulze hints at most vitamin-supplements are useless...

brain enhancer formula by Stephen T. Chang recently started

Dr. Schulze's Superfood    first try soon

nature's living superfood    first try soon

NOTE: as Dr. Schulze hints at most vitamin-supplements are useless...

brain enhancer formula by Stephen T. Chang    recently started

2568[/snapback]

What is wrong with vitamin supps? And how is that brain enhancer working?

Although I know that one can doubt the words of a seller of a certain product I will still quote Dr. Schulze (more at the links below) as much of it is simply true. Regarding brain enhancer. No reports yet. Should I get an A in my summer medical exams it will have word. Even if it is only a B. Currently... don't ask (have consumed it only for a very short time):

"Many modern health food supplements are made from man-made synthetic compounds and ingredients. Taking vitamin and mineral supplements may improve your health but they are often not natural."

"Man-made synthetic supplements can't reproduce natures' comprehensive profile. Many enzymes, vitamins and other chemical compounds are combined in nature to ensure rapid absorption by the body. Synthetic substitutes do not contain all of these compounds and studies have shown that their absorption rate is rapidly reduced.

The vast majority of man-made supplements are eliminated by the body, with only a small proportion of the nutrition actually being absorbed."

"All vitamin and mineral supplements currently made are NOT blended foods. In fact most are made from very undesirable, even horrifying substances. If you look on your current bottle of nutrients, it will state it contains many vitamins, minerals, and a long list of no's like starch, wheat, cellulose, soy, lactose, etc. It will even be in a base of herbs but you will notice that it doesn't state what the actual vitamins and minerals are made from. I can tell you right now no one is grinding up fresh raw vegetables and organic grains to make these pills."

http://www.herbs-hands-healing.co.uk/superfood/sf6.html

http://www.herbs-hands-healing.co.uk/super...Fvvitamins.html

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I guess my prescription plan must be pretty good because I pay $20 for a three months supply of Nexium.

I appreciate the tip though!

Matt

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I guess my prescription plan must be pretty good because I pay $20 for a three months supply of Nexium.

I appreciate the tip though!

Matt

Well...not that something is particularly wrong with vitamin supplements themselves, but you must be careful when choosing the ones that combine more than three different types of vitamins/and/or mixed with herbal extracts. When you get into the ones that are packing too much into those tiny little pills/capsules...the body has a really hard time breaking them down and actually absorbing them into your system so that they will actually WORK. Taking singles, combinations of two, or fresh and natural sources are best.

Hope that helps a little!

-Jessica

re: vitamin supps: many of the available supps don't break down in your stomach fast enough to actually deliver the vitamins therein.

re: ginseng: i just finished a book on ginseng recently. i dont have it in front of me now so i can't remnember author and title, but i bought it at the tai sophia institute which is a chinese medicine school in maryland. lots of diffrent kinds of ginseng, not all of which are actually ginseng but from entirely diffrent plant families. red and white ginseng, also know as korean and chinese ginseng respectively, should be avoided by people under 40 according to the book and popular chinese knowledge. american and siberian ginsengs can be taken by the under-40 crowd undre sertain circumstances. usually only used for several weeks at a time. these four ginsengs are tho only "true" ginsengs, in other words from that family of plants. do your research carefully on this and /or consult your chinese medical practioner or other natural health professional. the siberian ginseng has been pretty well studied in russia.

In the morning I take a MegaFlora Probiotic on an empty stomach.

About an hour after breakfast I take a "Mood Factor" (by Country Life) that is a nice mix of things I used to take separately, but this product is much cheaper. I also take a "Think Clearly" by SuperNutrition and a "Vegetarian Green Multi" by Nature's Life.

I try to get a little Garden of Life "Perfect Food" every day or so, in a shake with a bunch of other stuff, including some "Udo's Oil".

I put Flax in my oatmeal and sometimes I'll just cut up slices of banana and shake them up on a plate of flax and eat 'em.

At night I take Inositol and 5HTP. If I am really restless I take this great sleeping formula the name of which escape me right now.

More importantly than any of this though, probably, is food. I'm doing the "Potatoes Not Prozac" food program. Still only on step 5 though technically.

I drink lot's of water and I try to eat raw fish or meat at least once a week.

Hey Harry, check this out and count your sheep.

Most memory problems occur when you're encoding the material; you really should be checking out study and mnemonic techniques, which will help your memory far more than anything you can pop in your mouth.

I've been getting more into my juicer. Nothing to fancy. A carrot juice here or there w/ the some other herb added. My favorate is probably a small granny smith apple and piece of ginger. I juicem then put'em over ice and seltzer w/ a few drops of vanilla and a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. Its a fantastic homemade gingerale.

Peace

Michael

I want to work on a good home brew rootbeer this summer. Probably Sassparilla bark and root, licorice, wintermint and burdock in brandy for two weeks, mix w/ some honey and try it over seltzer water.

About 70% of my diet consists of juices from the juicer. Amazing machine!

There's literally TONS of things you can mix in these things. It does incredible things for your energy and metabolism.

I think its important enough for every household to have one. It most certainly ranks over the coffeemaker/quesadilla maker! ha! :P

Blessed adieu,

-Jessica

I have a juicer too, but so far have stuck to just juicing fruit and veg (eg just apple and banana, or carrot and tomato). Not tried anything even as adventurous as apple and ginger.

If those of you with a juicer could post some of your more interesting (and preferably tasty) combinations, then they might inspire me!

Thanks in advance!

Supplements for increased energy

*Bee pollen

*Coenzyme A

*Coenzyme 1 (sold under the brand name Enada)

*Free-form amino acid complex

*Kyo-Green (from Wakunaga of America

*N,N-Dimethylglycine (DMG)

*Octacosanol

*Siberian Ginseng

*Spirulina

*Wheat germ

you can get "Enada" here

Huge center with a wide variety of products

My most favorite place for stocking up!!

has anyone used any of these?

-Jessica

Okay, BobD...

looks like I've finally gathered come great juice elixirs for ya.

Digestive Cocktail

This is terrific after a tough workout--or a big meal!!

1 orange

1/4 grapefruit

1/4 lemon, with the skin

*Peel the orange and the grapefruit, leaving on as much white pith as possible. Cut or break the fruit into segments, and slice the lemon. Process the fruit in the juicer.

The Arouser

This is really great in the summer time over ice. As for the name--it does the trick every time. You can also add 1/2 an apple for a more complex flavor, if desired.

2 (4-ounce) bunches of black grapes, organic if possible, with stems

1/2 cup black cherries, pitted

*if the grapes are not organic, remove the stems. Process the fruit in the juicer.

Ginger Jolt

Powerful antioxidant with a warm tingle. The benefits of this juice is exceptional when using to soothe motion sicknesses and stomach upsets.

2 apples

1 pear

1-inch knob of gingerroot

*Cut the apples and pear into narrow wedges. Pare the skin off the gingerroot. Beginning and ending with the apple, process half the apple and pear wedges in the juicer. Process the ginger. Process the remaining apple and pear wedges, beginning and ending with apple.

AAA Juice

You cannot beat this juice for keeping your immune system healthy, which explains its triple-A rating.

3 carrots

1 stalk of celery

1 apple

1/2 beet with the greens

1/2 handful of wheatgrass, if available

1/2 handful of parsley

*Trim the carrots and cut them into 2-3 inch pieces. Cut the celery into 2-3 inch pieces. Cut the apple and beet into narrow wedges. Beginning and ending with the carrot and celery pieces, process the vegetables and apple wedges in the juicer.

Hope you try at least one and enjoy it!

In order to reach your destination, as long as you are facing in the right direction, all you have to do is keep on walking...

-Jessica

• Like 1

Okay, BobD...

looks like I've finally gathered come great juice elixirs for ya.

Cool. Thanks a lot. My local shops will be closed the next two days, but I'll hit them mid week and try some of these out. I'll print your message out as a shopping list. They all sound like interesting combinations (carrots & celery & apples?).

1/2 beet with the greens

Beet as in beetroot? That seems to be what a search on google thinks.

Thanks again.

To answer your question, BOB,

Yeah, I am talking about the beetroot. Some of these suckers can get as big as your head. They are easy to find in big city fresh markets, or bigtime markets with alot of variety. They should be near the fresh spinaches, fresh herbs, kolrabi and white beets. These guys pack so much nutritious punch you can literally feel the difference in the morning when drinking the juice before a major meal or as an afternoon refresher. Energy tonic better than any of that crap in cans they are selling now! (ie: No fear, Red Bull, etc)

Let me know how these are!

I'm gonna start a section in contributed articles OR just a thread in off-topic pertaining to healthful recipes for smoothies and juices. Which do you guys think is more appropriate for this kind of material?

May you all live long healthful experiences,

-Jessica

2577[/snapback]

Most vitamin supplements just give you really expensive urine.

I have a lot of tinctures and teas all over my house, but I don't take all of them all the time... Lessee... I like to keep nervines around, just harvested some milky oats today for that, but I also love pedicularis, verbena, California poppy, lemon balm, chamomile...whatever is around. I keep some pulsatilla around in case I have a nervous breakdown (or to give to other suicidal or manic people). I take red root (ceanothus) sometimes because I have some lymph issues...though I'll use ocotillo if I don't have enough root--it's a bitch to harvest... I have spirulina and Cell food (oxygen and some trace minerals) around but don't use them unless I feel called to... I usually drink some kind of herbal tea for calcium and minerals and all that (nettles, raspberry leaf, horsetail, red clover, you name it) and in the spring I try to do a lot of burdock, nettles, dandelion root, cleavers, etc...or my creosote/milk thistle tincture. When I get sick I usu. do osha (for throat stuff), usnea (to kill the infection) and olive leaf... I keep ginger around because I get cold real easy (blood yin deficient). Also my boyfriend made me a blood tonic (yellow dock in blackstrap molasses syrup) and some panther piss (don't remember what the hell he put in there). Oh, and I have some fire cider which will kill off any cold or flu (it's got cayenne pepper, parsley, garlic, onion, ginger and I forget what else which was steeped in apple cider vinegar for a while) but also always excacerbates my excess fire *sigh*.... and then the garlic/thyme honey... And then there's the cramp bark and angelica for my occasional liver blood stagnation liver chi stagnation, though I want to experiment with some mugwort infused oil I am making next time...

Well, you wouldn't be able to tell from this huge list, but I actually try to do food first before I go to herbs... Green leafy bitters and root vegetables for the liver, calming foods like oatmeal or miso or whatnot as nervines, seaweed etc. for minerals, etc. etc.