SeekingSilence

Perfect Health Diet

Inspired by some old posts from SecretGrotto, I decided to start this thread about the Perfect Health Diet as espoused by Paul Jaminet and his wife.

For those unfamiliar, Paul proposes that the perfect diet focuses on whole foods and a certain macronutrient ratio. Essentially, carbs (~150g) and proteins (75g) are kept relatively low, and fats make up the bulk of the daily calorie load (140-150g/day). For those who are more interested in the details, the Jaminets provide an outline of the diet on their website (here).

Having given that brief introduction, has anyone tried the PHD or a similar diet? What have your experiences been?

As well, what might a Taoist POV be on such a fat-heavy diet? And what would such a fat-dominant diet have on cultivation?

• Like 1

I personally think high fat diet (health fats of course) is the best also, as it is what our ancestors used to live off before domestication of grains and the advent of agriculture. Also the brain is 75% fat.

For me the best diet would be mainly seeds, nuts, vegetables, small amount of meat and fruits, then lots of healthy oil like organic extra virgin coconut/olive oil - essentially mainly fats and fiber, followed by protein then small amount of healthy carbs (no grains or cereals ideally, little to no white starchy carbs.

That's what works best for me interms of feeling energised and not drained by eating, also what our digestion system is best geared for considering it hasn't changed in the last 40,000 years.

Combined with "intermittent fasting" this is very close to how our ancestors would have naturally eaten.

• Like 2

Human being is the most compacted animal - so much function packed into being smaller than a horse, less hair than other animals, etc.

Grains are the most compacted seeds, from the most recently evolved plants - grasses. In fact, they are the fruit and seed contracted into one thing.

Seeds from bushes and trees point downward.

Grain seeds point upwards.

Eating grain seeds causes upright standing and talking.

When we feed a baby grains it stands up and starts talking.
If we feed the baby meat and fat it stands and talks later.
If we feed the baby fruits it stands and talks later.

If we feed the baby chemicals it stands and talks later.

Feel free to try this or observe what others do and what happens.

The time that people assume humans ate fat and meats and not grains and seeds, like before 10,000yrs ago - that was the last Ice Age.

What will happen if people now continue to eat as people did during an Ice Age that ended 10,000 yrs ago?

They will have trouble from excess - plaques, tumors, hardening, etc.
They will be out of sync with the current environment.

They will become "wrapped too tight" or "too cranked-down" and start looking for alcohol and drugs to loosen them up.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

I personally think high fat diet (health fats of course) is the best also, as it is what our ancestors used to live off before domestication of grains and the advent of agriculture. Also the brain is 75% fat.

For me the best diet would be mainly seeds, nuts, vegetables, small amount of meat and fruits, then lots of healthy oil like organic extra virgin coconut/olive oil - essentially mainly fats and fiber, followed by protein then small amount of healthy carbs (no grains or cereals ideally, little to no white starchy carbs.

That's what works best for me interms of feeling energised and not drained by eating, also what our digestion system is best geared for considering it hasn't changed in the last 40,000 years.

Combined with "intermittent fasting" this is very close to how our ancestors would have naturally eaten.

our ancestors did not have processed oils in their diet. It is too concentrated. Oils are best when contained in foods. IMHO

While I find the arguments for Paleo diet compelling.  I don't think our ancestors had that much fat in there diets.  Wild animals aren't as fatty as farmed or domesticated.   Organ meats can be fatty, but they're not that big.   I

different for every person depending on consitution.

but generally speaking, i feel like having a lot of fat in ones diet is a good thing. especially if we're talking lots of avocados and coconut oil, olive oil, fat from nuts/seeds. then again, i think lots of protein is also a good thing if you don't overdo heavier meats and also a good amount of carbs, fruit sugars. a really large amount of fat could be hard to break down depending on liver health/bile production.

What, in particular, stands out as imperfect?

What in particular stands out as perfect?

From a scientific viewpoint, where are the references? They're not even refering to any studies to support why certain foods stuffs are good or bad for you.

I'd say eating a lot of fat is a horrible idea, the cardiovascular system will be clogged

I don't agree. The connection between hyperlipidemia and the intake of fat is not that simple.

• Like 2

The diet synchronic describes also does a great job for me.I would only ad lots of greens especially wild herbs like dandelion, stinging nettle etc.I never planed to eat like this it was all by intuition.After ten years of daily meditation cooked grains started to smell and gave me a bad feeling.I was literally forced into raw food.I think eating fish or meat once a month is ok.I also heared that the 3 cultures in the world that live longest have all a diet that is high in protein and fat.But i think no one should force themself into a diet which doesnt feel good.Have a nice meal :)

• Like 1

My favourite foods tend to be high in all 3 so-called "macronutrients" (fat, protein, carb), such as peanuts & beans.

Edible legumes, nuts, seeds, grains, etc -- all are fruits. As vonkrankenhaus says, grains are actually high in protein as well as carbohydrate. I think they're OK.

One thing I've noticed about subculture diets (paleo, keto, vegan, raw til 4, etc) and regional diets considered to be healthy (Mediterranean, Okinawan, etc) is that they ALL involve cutting out processed, inorganic (pesticide etc) foods.

I know that, as much as I love a sugary chocolate bar, I feel very much healthier and more energetic when my diet consists of fresh organic produce, and not processed sugars, preservatives, flavourings, cheap pesticide-ridden veg, hormone-ridden meats...

• Like 1