Sign in to follow this  
林愛偉

26 Vows of Lin Ai Wei

I had assumed you were a Taoist. hmm.

Oh, but Daoist and Buddhist are only labels. In the cultivation of certain results, the methods leading to an enlightened mind, free to come and go as they please, may manifest in any form. Some methods which are labeled Daoist are similar to some which are labeled Buddhist, and vice verse. The origin of both are the same, the methods of both are similar in function to an extend, and to that extent the realization may be on two different levels. BUT...

Cultivation is just cultivation. In other words...

Chinese, American... we are all people...no?

:)

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

P.S.- I was brought up as a child with Daoist cultivation, am a disciple of Quan Zhen Daoist school. I became a disciple within Buddhism later on in my yrs. My teachers though are of both Daoist and Buddhist schools respectfully. That means, they are not hybrids, but complete Daoist and complete Buddhist.

I simply arrived at a shore where cultivation is simply cultivation. The mind is that which concludes which method is more effective. Some from here may work, some from there may work. In the end, the distinguishing of which is what must be dropped. At that point, it doesn't matter what is Daoist or Buddhist... just as long as one attains complete wisdom.

Edited by 林愛偉

It looks like a fascinating journey.

And it seems rather... never-ending, expanding yang-like...

One thing I didn't understood: People like to help more than they like to be helped... So, what do you think?

* I vow that when all living beings, demons, and those of all realms, dragons, demon and demon kings, those in the heavens and hells, all spirits and ghosts attain pure complete enlightenment, I will be the last to enter nirvana.

At the end, how do you and others that have the same vow decide who will enter Nirvana last? :)

At the end, how do you and others that have the same vow decide who will enter Nirvana last? :)
I guess it will be like your typical scene when Chinese go out to eat and all fight to pay the bill at the end. :D

No, you first!

No, you!

Lin, you are hardcore.

Rock, Paper, Scissors of course :P.

I've got a rock.

It's in my pants. :lol:

hhaha

It looks like a fascinating journey.

And it seems rather... never-ending, expanding yang-like...

One thing I didn't understood: People like to help more than they like to be helped... So, what do you think?

It is a practice that results in ultimately helping yourself in the end. The end is based on the cultivator's mind. He/she can only help those beings which he has affinities with, or better stated...can only help those within his mind.

So, my running in front of a car to push you out of a way may kill this body, but because I was at a stillness with what I was doing, neither discriminating there being a me and a you, it itself is a cultivation method which thrusts one into awakening. Its not selfish, and I wouldn't run in front of any random car for the sake of good results..hahaha

If you see the conditions, and have the capacity to work with them, then it is your duty, based on your own mind.

Peace,

Lin

hehe good question...

One can only help those who are of their mind. Therefore, when a vow is taken that one will n ot enter nirvana until all living beings do so first, that is basically saying all living beings of the person's mind. That means, if all I have compassion for is my family, then they are all living beings. But since my compassion is not mine alone, it is to everyone I meet, for they become in my mind at that point.

There is no really entering Nirvana. It is just said to be so for the perception of leaving one state of mind and experiencing another passes within mind and thus builds the view. Certain words are used just to describe the function.

Peace,

Lin

:lol: Who said Heavens are boring

Another word that puzzles me: CROSSING

Ah yes... Crossing is just a term used to describe the transforming of one mind to another. Kind of like here we are on a barren land, and we have a boat, on the boat we sail to another shore, and that shore is with trees, and grass, etc. Literally a big difference.

Since there is a difference in mind through cultivation, it is like being in a whole new land so to say. Though you may remember the past, you are not controlled by it.

Peace,

Lin

• Like 1

Marvelous Lin! :)

As to the question of not entering Nirvana until all other beings have entered first - surely you achieve complete, perfect and unsurpassed enlightenment first and then just don't disappear into Nirvana resting on your laurels?

Edited by rex

Marvelous Lin! :)

As to the question of not entering Nirvana until all other beings have entered first - surely you achieve complete, perfect and unsurpassed enlightenment first and then just don't disappear into Nirvana resting on your laurels?

That sounds quite right... :) Though attaining complete and unsurpassed enlightenment, one is still utilizing a form, a thought, an attachment with the intention only being to work with those of his mind. Though there is attachment, it is not the attachment in the manners of those who are not enlightened.

Much lighter a holding on to.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

*bows*

*bows again*

i trust your sincerity, Sifu. your example in this forum has already helped me to relax into my own being a little more.

i have a student who will be attending college in NY in the fall. i hope he will be close enough that he will be able to study with you.

At the end, how do you and others that have the same vow decide who will enter Nirvana last?

hehe good question...

lol, It was my intent to a koan... the question without answer

hehe good question...

lol, It was my intent to a koan... the question without answer

It makes sense now.. I was wondering ...lol

It would be that there is no you and others.

Funny! :lol:

Vows are not are not made to any god, immortals, or anyone else at all.

They are specifically for one's own cultivation.

They can be anything that guides you to do things, that are beneficial, you find difficult to accomplish.

If it is a vow to attain the highest attainment of any practice, so be it...it will be realized with humility if it is

also offered for the sake of living beings.. to help them attain as well.

Its a good and wise thing to keep oneself constantly " in check " while on the path cultivating the way.

Reading it daily to remind oneself is also good cultivation of keeping to one's vows, until they are memorized and in one's mind constantly...until the results are realized.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Be careful with vows, as I think they can create baggage ("karma?") that may carry over into future lives. I recently had a lower block removed that was from a vow - probably for celibacy or renunciation - from a past life (probably monkhood).

Yours appear a little safer since they are conditional, but conditions can also change in your future lives. Therefore, they could still conceivably cause problems and restrict you from spontaneously adapting to any new situation.

Remember, there is no unchanging Tao - it is always changing. Hence, every moment is thus new and entirely unique. Therefore, any rigidly fixed system or pattern will probably backfire on you at some point in eternity. That's why Taoism is about being free and formless, instead.

Edited by vortex

Be careful with vows, as I think they can create baggage ("karma?") that may carry over into future lives. I recently had a lower block removed that was from a vow - probably for celibacy or renunciation - from a past life (probably monkhood).

Yours appear a little safer since they are conditional, but conditions can also change in your future lives. Therefore, they could still conceivably cause problems and restrict you from spontaneously adapting to any new situation.

Remember, there is no unchanging Tao - it is always changing. Hence, every moment is thus new and entirely unique. Therefore, any rigidly fixed system or pattern will probably backfire on you at some point in eternity. That's why Taoism is about being free and formless, instead.

As long as one realizes that the vows are set by them self, and utilized by them self, there should be no problem. There is always the possibility of attaching to the method. With Daoism, people attach to the idea of formlessness, and get stuck there.

If one finds them self at odds with their vows and the situation, they should stick to their vows. The vows are vows because of its opposite. No problems no vows...but that means in all environment, not just one's own quiet little space. This is why Buddhists and Daoists now and in the past made vows. Everything around them though is not separate, there are beings who are still with attachments. Some make vows to help others, some make vows to guide in specific cultivation, and others make vows for both. It is the person which would cause the problem for them self really.

There are vows/precepts in Daoism. Nothing wrong with them at all. It is the cultivator that makes the problems not so much the method. Yet a method can cause problems as well...and that would have originated with the person teaching it...lack of wisdom, or just evil. haha

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Sign in to follow this