Ell

Sightseeing in Italy?

So, despite not really being a big fan of flying, not really having a ton of money, and not speaking the language (hah!), I am set to be the best man at a destination wedding in Italy come November....what an adventure it should be for me the guy who's never been outside of North America....

I've been looking for stuff to get excited about seeing (you know, during the free time outside of my buddy's wedding). I'm really looking forward to visiting the Vatican, even though I'm not nor ever have been Catholic. There seems to be a lot of amazing history there in addition to all the beautiful structures. I would really like to go to a pro soccer game, but I don't think anybody's playing on the days I'm there.... 

Any suggestions from the more worldly members of the forum? I'll be mostly in Florence and Rome.  

And, please, for the sake of my mental health, let's keep it fairly light. No negativity, Vatican City conspiracy theories, etc. The stressful side of travel is stressful enough as it is!

Both cities are beautiful. It's hard to know where to begin. You are really going to be visiting living museums. There really isn't a place to turn without bumping into a cathedral, coliseum, fountain, architectural delights abound. You will be spoilt for choice. I think you might want to spend a bit of time chilling, people watching, eating, drinking, walking.....the food is fantastic(there is a famous ice cream parlour near the Trevi fountains-take an evening walk like the Romans do). Why not take in an Opera ? Bit different. Not sure about football as I don't really follow it.

Pick up a rough guide, but really, a city plan and your feet are all that is needed. I have never visited the Vatican as it's usually very busy with long queues and some fairly tacky plastic icons festoon every inch of the area surrounding the entrance. The coliseum is one of the highlights, but the whole city will keep you fabulously entertained.

Enjoy. Try not to eat just Pizza (good though it is).

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

I back packed through Florence at 24.  The city really captured my heart.  The Churches are the museums, breathtaking to the point of overload.  Great place to wander and get lost in.  Tons of little eateries, artistic shops.   I was able to stay at an inexpensive pension, for a few nights, a shut down school dorm for a few more.  I think the city houses Michaelangelos' David; fountains and statue's abound in the city.

I went there again 15 years later on anniversary with my wife.  Again, very charming.  Nice to eat well, but I miss the carefree, nothing but time backpacking days. 

Ideas-

Travel light, expect to walk long distances with your luggage.  Don't expect elevators.

Finding cheap hotels means more $$ for food and activities.

Spring for a coffee and a backpacker might give some insights about faires, bars and places most tourists miss.  

Lots of free walking city routs available on internet or as podcasts.  Very worthwhile.  In my younger days I'd follow around tour groups.

In famous Piazza (Squares)  ask for prices.  20 years ago a coffee could be $15, whereas a few blocks away it was $1.75

When you're sick of the city there are some beautiful but strenuous bike riding tours that are great- no crowds, no museums.  (very strenuous)

Have planned and unplanned days. 

Don't forget about Nice, its got a beautiful park.

Save money, eat off the street, ie street vendors and/or make a few meals from bread and cheese then splurge. 

Don't be too ambitious, the best times are often hours sitting with a beer and hors d'oeuvres people watching.

Loved Florence, loved Venice for a slower pace the 5 villages were very nice.  Cinque de Quinsomething, laid back Italian Riviera was nice.   Never made it to Rome. 

• Like 1

If you go to the Colloseum book the underground tour in advance, it's great value and you get access to exclusive areas away from the big crowds. In fact try to book everything touristy you do in advance, especially the Vatican Museum, that way you can avoid many hours of queuing.

• Like 1

Just touring Florence properly would take more than a week.  What a wonderful city that is.

And there is so much of Rome to see.  And do go to the ancient structures.  It will be worth the time.

I was stationed in Italy during the early 1970s so I can't recall any specifics to mention.  Make sure to go on line and hit every site about tourism to those two cities.

• Like 3

Italy is one of those places where you don't intend to go unless you are in love. I know that sounds cheesy but it is true. I never wanted to go but the second I met a woman who I was madly in love with, I dreampt of going all around the world with her. So much for that haha

Italy is one of those places where you don't intend to go unless you are in love. I know that sounds cheesy but it is true. I never wanted to go but the second I met a woman who I was madly in love with, I dreampt of going all around the world with her. So much for that haha

It wasn't in my top ten, to be honest....but it's important to this friend that I'm there. So we'll see what happens, hah

You didn't mention how long you're going to be staying. Time is of the essence... But as the others have said, you can't go wrong in either place. I especially like the suggestion of roaming around, soaking up atmosphere.

Enjoy!

Oh, also, when are going?

You didn't mention how long you're going to be staying. Time is of the essence... But as the others have said, you can't go wrong in either place. I especially like the suggestion of roaming around, soaking up atmosphere.

Enjoy!

Oh, also, when are going?

Second week of November. Whole week.