Sign in to follow this  
noonespecial

Thoughts on Gnosticism

This is something i wrote to myself, thought i would share -

Problems with Gnosticism - I mean classic Gnosticism, ie. this world is the result of a lesser god, with malevolent intentions, the dreaded demiurge, Ialdobaoth - and we are food for this system - hit the youtube scene and variations of this theme are basically everywhere, the world is a matrix, a hologram, the alien shit, etc. Yet I plead guilty, what ultimately led me to Hermeticism and Daoist strains of thought and practice was a feeling that we are indeed trapped...

One of my first real book purchases as a teenager (that is, purchased on my accord) was Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper, it’s really an occult classic in it’s own way, the first of it’s kind, the internet before the internet,  youtube knowledge before youtube, perfectly blending Apocalyptic ‘ Hal Lindsey style ‘ Christianity, alien life forms, roswell, drugs, alphabet agencies, all under the watchful eye of a government cabal who answers to a worldwide cabal, it doesn't get any better perfectly representing the gnostic/conspiratorial microcosm. As it is below, so it is above - meaning these earth conspiracies are small versions of universal ones - conspiracy amongst men merely reflects the conspiracy among the angels, therefore the conspiracy amongst angels represents the conspiract amongst the gods, no escape huh - it seems to be shit all the way to the top levels. Bummer.

Somewhere down the line, after bouts of religious fervor here and there, and extreme polarization I came to Christian Gnosticism, Gospel of Thomas and the rest of the classics, Gospel of Magdalene, Aprocyphon of John, I devoured the whole of the Nag Hammadi  -  and here we have the grand conspiracy, what we thought was God is actually a false God, nay, the God of the Bible none the less - now through Gnosticism and Google, I eventually came to know and practice an exercise known as the Middle Pillar with quite unexpected results, my body shook, visions occurred, my soul was jarred, astral projection is real and not just active imagination - and ultimately this was my introduction to Golden Dawn style spirituality, the mysteries and all the other crazy shit attached to ceremonial magic - all fine and dandy, what a better way to explore the conspiracy than to join in it, everyone knows the bad guys do Qabalah right? BUT - I learned something interesting along the way, there is a certain wisdom inherent in the duality, it is hidden beneath fear, and angst, and shells of our thoughts and emotions - hidden in the very cruelness of nature and unfairness of the world. But this is all a multiplication of a basic duality, a me vs you ad nauseam, 0s and 1s - but dare we admit that we enjoy this game of duality, the drama of being separate and the drama of competition, yes, we enjoy this individuality, and ironically that is why we fear death, we fear losing our separateness, so we hate the hate that hate made in the end, do you see?  

In fact, can we even conceive another way of living, would life and beingness have any sense of urgency if there was no expiration date. What I was left with after my adventures in Qabalah and magick was a deep understanding of the necessity of suffering as the beginning of wisdom, the necessity of duality in discovering the value of non-duality.. Living forever is worthless if you don't know you are living forever - there is no eternity therein, just boredom.

So now I realize Gnostics are what they are, as are their conspirator cousins, another group of polarized individuals who believe everything would be alright if everyone else, consumed and believed the same material as they do, no better than the sheeple they criticize, or the governments and religions they hate - that is not to say there are not valid conspiracies out there, but watching a documentary on dmt, or 9/11 or listening to hours of terrence mckenna is not going to help anyone in actuality - 10 minutes of mindful breathing a day would probably do more good for the world, change yourself remember, break down differences, blessed is the peace maker, peace makers do what? They reconcile opposites towards equilibrium, equilibrium is what? Peace. The world is what it is, have faith in the process, but do your part is what i tell myself.

So oddly enough, the evil Qabalah has led me to the beginning of Wisdom, back to the Tree and her Guardian, the master of dualism and her Knowing, and I am left with an understanding of God that Islam or Christianity could have never delivered. Ultimately, we have to look at our own polarization before we can see properly, and this requires the dreaded word, responisbility - therefore I realized Gnosticism is just another blame the other guy philosophy, at least in Orthodox Christiniaty it is mankind who is to blame - which is ultimately true. We are no angels, and it doesnt seem to be because of any malevolent space alien demon archons, it is merely our own dull self-awareness and dead empathy causing all this shit, our clinging to separation, country, patriotism, racial allegiances, we take pride in these things, yet they only lead to our estrangement from ourselves and our planet. Know thyself.

• Like 2

Is it true Gnosticism that believes the God of the Bible is evil? I thought that was like an offshoot.

edit: nevermind, don't know where I got that idea, but it does seem according to wikipedia that the demiurge idea is central to Gnosticism. I was under the impression that the early Christian gnostics mainly differed because they were more about experiencing divinity for themselves and seeking truth...basically seeking omniscience.

Edited by Aetherous

Is it true Gnosticism that believes the God of the Bible is evil? I thought that was like an offshoot.

edit: nevermind, don't know where I got that idea, but it does seem according to wikipedia that the demiurge idea is central to Gnosticism. I was under the impression that the early Christian gnostics mainly differed because they were more about experiencing divinity for themselves and seeking truth...basically seeking omniscience.

Its def not a blanket term, there were different schools. But yes, I mean gnosticism in the classically understood sense, that is matter and creation are evil and have no inherent worth.

• Like 1

BUT - I learned something interesting along the way, there is a certain wisdom inherent in the duality, it is hidden beneath fear, and angst, and shells of our thoughts and emotions - hidden in the very cruelness of nature and unfairness of the world. But this is all a multiplication of a basic duality, a me vs you ad nauseam, 0s and 1s - but dare we admit that we enjoy this game of duality, the drama of being separate and the drama of competition, yes, we enjoy this individuality, and ironically that is why we fear death, we fear losing our separateness, so we hate the hate that hate made in the end, do you see?

This is the road to Wisdom.

All life serves a purpose which can be seen given the proper perspective. That anyone could seriously entertain the notion of a Supreme Being - who is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent - having created a world without purpose, or more strangely, a world which is hostile to our fundamental spiritual identities, seriously boggles my mind. I never cease to be impressed by the serpent's capabilities!

So now I realize Gnostics are what they are, as are their conspirator cousins, another group of polarized individuals who believe everything would be alright if everyone else, consumed and believed the same material as they do, no better than the sheeple they criticize, or the governments and religions they hate

The neo-Gnostics suffer from a lack of true perspective among other things (such as cult-like devotion to an L. Ron Hubbard type character and a slavish adherence to dogma). Even false teachers and organizations have their purpose however and that makes them an interesting study.

Best,
UFA
  • Like 1

Hmmm ... I have been dealing with one lately ;

This world is a prison ... I dont belong here ... my true home is ( now it gets interesting )  - heaven .... I want to leave here and go there and be with God and live a better life where everything will be wonderful ... etc. 

Except in this case, it was tied in with Buddhism and the need to let go of desire (for this world ) and not 'come back'    -   all mixed up with a Christian after life. 

I 'liked' their (Gnostics) take on sex; it is bad because it creates more life and life is sorrow ... right then , no more sex ... or children .... or new gnostic cult members 

..... well, hang on a minute there .... you can have sex, but only to make more gnostic cult members . ..... we need them to spread our message.

Thus is born ' theology '   :closedeyes:

Edited by Nungali

Extinguish the desire to reincarnate by fulfilling ALL desire vs. extinguishing Creation by extinguishing Mind by extiguishing human pro-creation.  I'd probably say neither lol.

There are a lot of things in Gnosticism that I resonate with, but I have also picked up a few off-putting dogmatic vibes which I just don't jive with.

Even the writings of samael aun weor; I have a few of his books, and even though I have experienced much of the same things, and understand and resonate a lot with what he says, I find something about him unnerving, just like the total package of Gnosticism. Its almost as if these are the teachings of a demon who found their way to ascendancy. That's just what I feel in my heart. So I don't throw it all out, I keep what I like :)

Edited by CodyWizard
  • Like 1

yes, one meaning of the word is 'direct knowledge' meaning one can communicate or experience divinity without some intercession of a priest between you and your God.

But Gnostics come in all types ... even 'white ones'  that see  life as a joyful beautiful and spiritual experience ... we willed to incarnate and come here and have the experience , so ... do that .  Dont deny the experience. 

- Ever been some place absolutely fantastic and exciting ... with another person or a child, and they ;  "  I wanna go back home !"  straight away 

:(  

I found this rave interesting : 

http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/   -  Ch 6. 7 & 8 ' The Three Schools of Magick' Pt 1.2.& 3. 

Edited by Nungali

There are a lot of things in Gnosticism that I resonate with, but I have also picked up a few off-putting dogmatic vibes which I just don't jive with.

Even the writings of samael aun weor; I have a few of his books, and even though I have experienced much of the same things, and understand and resonate a lot with what he says, I find something about him unnerving, just like the total package of Gnosticism. Its almost as if these are the teachings of a demon who found their way to ascendancy. That's just what I feel in my heart. So I don't throw it all out, I keep what I like :)

Mine the gold ! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this