mantis

Falun Gong

i just noticed the link in which oolong posted in the "man love" topic. this falun gong stuff seems very interesting. has anyone here doodled with it? all of the classes are free so it says and for some reason it's outlawed in china. i may give this a whirl in 3 months - once my vow is completed.

Might be a good idea to stay away from them. Too weird <--- I have a right to claim this as a weird person myself since I know what weird looks like ;)

Might be a good idea to stay away from them. Too weird <--- I have a right to claim this as a weird person myself since I know what weird looks like ;)

There are many principles in the book that are not proper. Qi Gong cultivation is fine, but the foundation of what their system is preaching does not lead one to pure enlightenment. Their principles do not result in wholesome outcomes ultimately.

Its outlawed in China because the practitioners of it became political, also because they, with qigong practice, did not need hospitalization during their time with serious sicknesses. That means less and less people were going to hospitals, and special interest groups were losing money. More and more people became attracted to it, and a few wholesome principles, which deterred sheep like mentality and directed toward individual power.

Though that is good in one way, all of the teachings were, are not, 100% pointing to one's own reason and logic. The karma in that is detrimental. Both sides of the coin, china and this system are not proper in their dealings.

Too much hiding and too much conspiracy.

This is best, for my sake, discussed in person with references available with their book, and then proper teachings.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

hmm so would you still recommend their qi gong or is that wacked as well? thanks

"Qi Gong cultivation is fine, but the foundation of what their system is preaching does not lead one to pure enlightenment. Their principles do not result in wholesome outcomes ultimately." --Lin Sifu

if their qigong practice is rooted in their principles, then you're better off seeking elsewhere.

don't be afraid to spend money on worthwhile training.

i still say one of the best things you can do for yourself is make plans to visit gainsville. it's not that far from you. it's a very attainable goal. it'll just take a little time and work to make it happen.

anthony's very good and very real.

For the record I am not a member of Falun Gong. I posted the comment simply as another viewpoint on the topic. I did a little research on them and there certainly seems to be a lot of propaganda on both sides. That having been said, Lin hit the nail on the head when he said that they tried to mix politics with spirituality which usually has disastrous results.

They also have some rather non-convential beliefs. Apparently Li Hongzhi implants a "falun" or dharma wheel into the dantien of his disciples which is supposed to help with their cultivation. From what I have read, Lin is correct that they shun modern medical treatment and instead rely on qi gong. But if the qi gong does not work, then they willingly take on the suffering and believe it will help work off bad karma. Obviously this would not be a popular practice in the eyes of non-practicioners, especially family members.

In my humble opinion, I think it starteed off as something positive and took a wrong turn somewhere (here's a good article if you are interested). Li has also made some really porposterous claims which should make anyone think twice about his motivations, although I do think the qi gong and meditation aspects are actually pretty good (you can watch the qi gong forms for free here

For what it's worth, David Verdesi on Sean D's forum claims that Li Hongzhi studied with Sifu Wang Liping (Opening the Dragon Gate), but did not get very far in the system.

it's not being afraid it's that there is no money to spend lol

money can always be earned, my friend. that's your task. to earn money, to save money, and to bring your goals to life by being resourceful.

i've been poor all my life, and i'm no stranger to homelessness. i know what it's like to be broke. but i also know what's possible when one is determined.

i have no idea where the money is going to come from to get me to new york to meet up with Lin Sifu. but it's not an option for me to miss it. my task is to make it happen. and it will. period.

it's not being afraid it's that there is no money to spend lol

Well, about the qi gong, there is a state of mind within their qi gong that is distinguished as Falun Gong. So if you can separate the energy of that state from the postures, practice it. But I would say , don't even bother.

Reading one sentence of any Buddhist Sutra would have more lasting results than any amount of time practicing Falun Gong.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

i see. i suppose this is a no-go then. i thought what was initially meant by sifu lin is that their qi gong led them to not having to use the hospital, not that they preferred qi gong over medical treatment. that is crazy. thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

about anthony, hundun. the problem with it is that his class is spread out over a 4 week period, meeting once a week. this would mean i'd have to be at least a month in gainesville, probably in a hotel. although the class is only $100 the hotel would destroy me ;x. not to mention that level two class is 8 weeks, lol.

Edited by mantis

i see. i suppose this is a no-go then. i thought what was initially meant by sifu lin is that their qi gong led them to not having to use the hospital, not that they preferred qi gong over medical treatment. that is crazy. thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

about anthony, hundun. the problem with it is that his class is spread out over a 4 week period, meeting once a week. this would mean i'd have to be at least a month in gainesville, probably in a hotel. although the class is only $100 the hotel would destroy me ;x. not to mention that level two class is 8 weeks, lol.

They're charging for classes?! :o

Last I heard they were supposed to be for free.

People can attain benefits in anything they do, especially if their intention is proper. Over time, things may change with imposing other views on oneself. That is where it can, and usually does, go wrong.

By all means, if you feel strong affinity to go and cultivate it , do so, but stick to the qi gong postures, and basic breathing. Drop any views they have in their teachings. Stick strictly to Daoism and or Buddhism.

Peace and Happiness,

Lin

haha no that's for a qi gong teacher that lives around here that hundun recommended to me. i'm not strongly attached to it but i just wanted to do something over than nothing, if that makes sense. i've never tried qi gong or any other internal art before in my life so i figured what harm could be done?

if you'd like, i can contact him and see what can be worked out. i know he does weekend retreats from time to time.

i'll let you know once i have a car of my own, i do plan to visit but it's not going to be something happening to soon.

For what it's worth, David Verdesi on Sean D's forum claims that Li Hongzhi studied with Sifu Wang Liping (Opening the Dragon Gate), but did not get very far in the system.

Allow me to chime in on that statement... David said he was a student... but he also said a few other things, not necessarily that he did not get very far in the system. What got clear though: not really suggested for several reasons...

:)

Harry