3bob

Who would prostrate before...?

Who would prostrate before or to spiritual authority?  It's common in eastern countries but very uncommon in westernized countries - although I imagine such is still done in Roman Catholic Church's in America.

Can you name or give examples you have seen or  participated in?

Depends what I wanted. Pretty much anyone telling me to whilst holding a rifle to my head in the hope they wouldn't shoot me. My wife mainly-she is my spiritual authority and wage earner-prostrating myself before her is an infinite pleasure.

• Like 2

I prostrated myself when I was in Basic Training.

At your age I suspect you are mainly prostate with a head attached.

• Like 1

At your age I suspect you are mainly prostate with a head attached.

Oh, I can still stand up tall and proud with the best of them.  Duration has decreased significantly though.

Oh, I can still stand up tall and proud with the best of them.  Duration has decreased significantly though.

'With a little help from my friends" at the drugstore ;-)

• Like 1

I want 50 push-ups now!  and when we march and I say, left- right- left I mean your other left- right- left!

• Like 1

I prostrated for a police officer who had mistaken me for his target, but that was upon request and threat of deadly force.

Seen a couple of priests take their vows face down on the floor.

Initiates putting their head to the ground in front of their Master when he accepts them into his family (could agree to do that, the respect is mutual there.)

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth

I want 50 push-ups now!  and when we march and I say, left- right- left I mean your other left- right- left!

I was actually a pretty good Drill Sergeant on the side.  I could have a platoon of troops do some pretty slick maneuvering.  And no one dared get out of step when we were drilling.

i had a guy do to it to me once ....  made me feel  half kinda sick and the half wanted to kick him in the head while he was down there. 

Let's hope the 'gods' dont feel the same way about it. 

Now, what was it the one we cant mention here said about that ....  something like  'assuming the position that the enemies of man's freedom find most pleasing.'

Edited by Nungali

One teaching in martial arts is that when you prostrate, if you take the person you're prostrating to outside of your peripheral vision (if you can no longer see them), then you're opening yourself up to trouble. Another is that if you fully prostrate, you expose the back of your neck, which is the perfect place for a sword to slice.

I could physically prostrate before anyone without meaning it mentally, such as in the case of being required to. I could mean it mentally or emotionally, but may or may not physically do it...if I really respected the person. Or in simply being compassionate toward a person, it's like an energetic prostration is happening...so their deservingness of receiving a prostration might not even be there, as it is in the case of someone who is to receive honor or respect for some reason.

I personally find it very awkward to do the prayer position to someone in order to thank them, or to bow to them...outside of the context where the people involved are in spiritual pursuits, where they're respectable, and where it's the common practice to do it often.

• Like 2

Don't mind bowing to anyone, or everyone.  It seems like a good practice, showing respect and I prefer it to shaking hands.  Prostration- getting on my hands and knees then putting my head to the ground.  The respect feels too one way.   I am no slave and you are no lord. 

When in Rome I'll do what the Romans do, but of my own accord I'd bow deep to those I respect, hold for a respectable time, but prostrate, no, I'm reluctant to do so. 

• Like 1

Who would prostrate before or to spiritual authority?  It's common in eastern countries but very uncommon in westernized countries - although I imagine such is still done in Roman Catholic Church's in America.

Can you name or give examples you have seen or  participated in?

I would and do.

While there is no greater spiritual authority than myself, that is, my own true nature, Kuntuzangpo, the natural state; from a practical point of view in the real world, there are many who are farther along the path than I am and there are those that have come before who have helped me along the path. There are many I can learn from.

The act of prostration is primarily an act of subjugating the ego. It is not about raising someone or something above oneself, but rather an act of diminishing the self, which is the primary obstacle to spiritual awakening.

There are many other beneficial aspects to this practice and I'll touch on a few.

It is a wonderful physical exercise. A few hundred prostrations upon awakening in the morning is a great way to get going physically. It is also a wonderful method for developing the feelings of devotion and gratitude which are the fuel of Tibetan Buddhist practice. It is said that devotion is the key to success in these practices.

When we prostrate ourselves to a master or a lineage, we are not prostrating to who they are but to what they represent, our own connection to the natural state and the source of teachings that helps us to realize liberation. They are wonderful for purifying oneself of attachment to the ego and its central place in our lives.

Prostrations in Tibetan Buddhism are generally performed along with recitation of refuge prayers. Refuge can provide a wonderful source of stability and strength in our lives. It reminds us that the ego is not all there is. If we look deeper, we can connect with something vastly more significant than the conditioned mind.

I'm no authority so take or leave my comments as you will, but anyone interested in the meaning of prostrations should check out writings from TIbetan Buddhism on the topic.

The example I can cite is related to the Ngondro (foundational) practices in Tibetan Bön and Buddhism.

Most Tibetan practitioners practice prostrations throughout their lives, not just during the basic training. 

With the correct attitude, they can be quite powerful and supportive to our practice.

And that may be the most important point. They are not an obligation or a requirement, they are a support.

To the extent they help us along our path, they are valuable.

If we relate to them in a negative way, it is better to change our relationship to them or let them go altogether.

This of course can be said about any spiritual practice. 

• Like 5

I have used the technique of having someone lay prostrate on the ground (healing ceremony) so that they are open to new suggestion.  It seems to pull the tunnel vision out of people somehow, if they are willing to surrender.

• Like 3

Not sure if this topic is interesting to many people but here is a link with some nice, though limited, discussion on the topic that may be illuminating. 

http://www.lionsroar.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-devoted-to-ones-guru/

Nice article, Steve.  I like the fact that it mentions something looking into the eyes of the guru and seeing yourself.  We are life recognizing itself...

• Like 1

Manitou, that brings to mind rolling around on the ground which is something a lot of creatures do for its healing effect. :)

• Like 1

Nice article, Steve.  I like the fact that it mentions something looking into the eyes of the guru and seeing yourself.  We are life recognizing itself...

I also very much like the acknowledgement that we can look at all appearances (eg all things, situations, people, etc...) in our lives as our teacher. I think at each of the three levels he describes -

guru as teacher

all appearances as teacher

nature of mind as teacher

- we are "life recognizing itself" - beautiful phrase.

• Like 2

I prostrated myself when I was in Basic Training.

This is actually a really good point. For the most part I believe the police, armed forces, judges etc have replaced that function in western society and the ones with the power are very aware of it.

• Like 1

This is actually a really good point. For the most part I believe the police, armed forces, judges etc have replaced that function in western society and the ones with the power are very aware of it.

That's an interesting idea.  Being ex-cop and ex-military, I'd love to hear an expansion on this?  I haven't thought that out as you seem to have - but something inside me tells me there's truth to it.