noonespecial

Wow, nothing checks your progress like a HUGE traffic ticket

Surely the ancient sages didnt have to deal with this. Just when I thought my non-attachment practice was showing signs of fruition, I receive a huge $600-800 traffic violation ticket this morning, and I am literally freaking out over my finances right now, really puts a damper on the whole day and my so-called freedom from attachment I believed I had attained, ye, how the universe tests us. lol.

Fellow bums, please check every year for new idiosyncracies in traffic law, lest you end up like me, feeling like an out of sync idot.

• Like 3

Well, don't get too far up yet.  They will likely still find a way to get your money.

But you are right.  Nothing like a little reality to test ourselves with.

• Like 1

Well, don't get too far up yet.  They will likely still find a way to get your money.

But you are right.  Nothing like a little reality to test ourselves with.

Haha, its been a couple of hours and I am content with the fact that they will take my money and increase my insurance premiums, here is to hoping that the money goes to community improvemnet, fix the potholes or something, instead of the fat guys bonus.

here is to hoping that the money goes to community improvemnet, fix the potholes or something, instead of the fat guys bonus.

If your money has to go to somebody´s bonus, you´d prefer if they were thin? Fat people need the occasional financial break too. Ok, rant over.

(Hmmm...considering editing out my post. I don´t want to be curmudgeonly or critical. And perhaps you were merely being descriptive: was the officer who gave you the ticket fat? I just wanted to point out the little insidious ways negativity against people whose appearance we don´t like slips in.)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

If your money has to go to somebody´s bonus, you´d prefer if they were thin? Fat people need the occasional financial break too. Ok, rant over.

(Hmmm...considering editing out my post. I don´t want to be curmudgeonly or critical. And perhaps you were merely being descriptive: was the officer who gave you the ticket fat? I just wanted to point out the little insidious ways negativity against people whose appearance we don´t like slips in.)

No worries.

To add, yes he was fat, yes he did jump in the middle of the road to stop my car, yes he did have a negative attitude, yes it was hilarious (hardly not worth an $700 traffic violation) but if you want to switch gears, when I see an overweight person, I do form an opinion about their lifestyle choices, discipline or lack there of, etc., especially when it is an officer of the law. So yes it would piss me off if it went to his donut fund rather than community services. So sue me. ;)

Edited by noonespecial

Haha, its been a couple of hours and I am content with the fact that they will take my money and increase my insurance premiums, here is to hoping that the money goes to community improvemnet, fix the potholes or something, instead of the fat guys bonus.

Yeah, we can always hope that they will do the right thing. 

But still, I never have liked the fact that no only do those involved have to pay for what happened but we get charged by an authority that has nothing to do with what happened.  Taxation without representation.

• Like 1

But still, I never have liked the fact that no only do those involved have to pay for what happened but we get charged by an authority that has nothing to do with what happened.  Taxation without representation.

I could bring in my 3 year old kid who was in the car at the time as witness, but I don't think that will jive.  What is more upsetting is  that if the law was so concerned about safety, and since it was a recent addendum to an existing traffic law, he could have easily parked and told the cars to stop, thereby ensuring no one gets hurt, rather than setup a trap down the street out of sight, it's ridiculous.

So sue me. ;)

Nah. I prefer to confine my frivolous battling to internet forums. An actual court appearance would be too stressful.

Edited by liminal_luke

Earlier this year I got thee ticket.  In the mail, it said I'd been captured (2 months earlier on way to Burning Man) by photo doing 20 miles over the speed limit, in a work zone, with workers present.  The fine was $800 and I had to appear in court mandatory, on my birthday, 250 miles away, at 8 A.M.  

They just freakin print money there at the Quad cities, nailing 90% of everyone who passes by.  I hired a lawyer to represent me.  You know what happened, the judge didn't freakin show up that morning..

• Like 3

... rather than setup a trap down the street out of sight, it's ridiculous.

Oh, most are very good at doing that.  One here in Florida made national news before they finally stopped doing it.

• Like 1

Nah. I prefer to confine my frivolous battling to internet forums. An actual court appearance would be too stressful.

Ironically exactly how i feel right now. haha. Im going to show up and beg the judge for a reduction anyway. Admit my guilt, my ignorance of the law, my financial situation and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Yes, they had minor problems, like robbery, highway murderers, invasions, and dictatorial rulers.  :P

Seems like not much has changed.

• Like 1

Surely the ancient sages didnt have to deal with this. Just when I thought my non-attachment practice was showing signs of fruition, I receive a huge $600-800 traffic violation ticket this morning, and I am literally freaking out over my finances right now, really puts a damper on the whole day and my so-called freedom from attachment I believed I had attained, ye, how the universe tests us. lol.

Fellow bums, please check every year for new idiosyncracies in traffic law, lest you end up like me, feeling like an out of sync idot.

How fast were you driving? Which state?

How fast were you driving? Which state?

I wasnt driving fast, I passed a parked school bus on the other side of the street and apparently it had its lights on (which is a joke, they were not even noticeable), they changed the law so that cars going both directions have to stop for a parked bus not just the car in the same lane as the parked bus. In fact I was driving so slow the officer was able to jump in front of my car. This is in California, Bay Area.

I wasnt driving fast, I passed a parked school bus on the other side of the street and apparently it had its lights on (which is a joke, they were not even noticeable), they changed the law so that cars going both directions have to stop for a parked bus not just the car in the same lane as the parked bus. In fact I was driving so slow the officer was able to jump in front of my car. This is in California, Bay Area.

I believe that law applies most everywhere that I know of. I always stop for a bus in that situation. Err on the side of caution.

I believe that law applies most everywhere that I know of. I always stop for a bus in that situation. Err on the side of caution.

Yes, I chekced the laws and I did mess up. Most everyone I spoke too was unaware of this, so at least i warned some other people. The law is tricky, if it is a four lane 'highway' you can pass on the other side but not two lanes.

Sounds like a reasonable law (safety is for the children) but great Lord Guan is the fine insane! And here i complain about my 50 dollar parking tickets.

Not only does it leave a dent financially, i'd be on the verge of developing a phobia for yellow buses.

The law is absolutely reasonable, my problem is where were the kids, oh...there were none, just a bus with blinking lights? Why was the cop hiding, if there was a real safety concern, children crossing the street, he should be parked in the middle of the street as a preventitive measure not waiting in the bushes, as the great American sage P. Diddy once said, "Its all about the benjamins baby."

• Like 3