LAOLONG

Is september 2015 the end ?

Never mind any asteroid, I would say that the popularity of the Daily Mail Online is a stronger sign that the world is coming to an end, or at least severely regressing.

• Like 13

I think they should be saying,

"Yes, it is inevitable that something really really big is at some point going to crash into Earth and wipe out life as we know it. And it could happen this month, or even tonight, but it could be another hundred million years from now; the truth is, we probably wouldn't know about it until a second before we were incinerated. Either way, there's nothing anyone can do about it, so don't bother worrying. And it is of course highly unlikely that this lunatic has predicted anything of the sort, so please ignore him."

Edited by dustybeijing

Come now gentleman. There is no "end". Even if this phase of humanity goes completely extinct conditions will arise on some planet for the whole process to begin again. The process of the universe is cyclical revolution. Regeneration and degeneration. Even if it were the dark times or the "kali yuga" as some believe it to be the kali yuga is but a state that completes one cycle and begins a new cycle.

Dont fret about the end my friends for, just as there is no concrete beginning, there is no concrete end. The world will keep spinning. The planets will keep orbiting the sun. Our solar system will continue orbiting the galaxy and the galaxy will continue its path through our universe.

Brian Cox :-/

There is an asteroid with our name on it is pretty much code for a cheque for research with his name on it. The constant hot air of the lobbying machine for scientific state funded tax handouts is probably a greater cause of climate change than anything else.

• Like 1

I better top the body up with drugs sex and booze ... just in case .

Huh like you already didn't do that!

• Like 1

In a limited sort of way, we're better off if we consider September to be the end.  Likewise, tomorrow morning is a new beginning and late at night we face another end. 

Beginnings and ends

flow like waves.

Waves inside of waves.

Incidentally, CERN is scheduled to be cranked up to full power on September 23rd, and since in the documentary I watched about its creation quite a few of its scientific fathers and mothers asserted that every now and then they don't really know what they're doing and just keep their fingers crossed, methinks the asteroid story may have been put into circulation so that if CERN does do some significant, critical, or terminal damage in this mode, which is according to some a >0 possibility, they have somewhere else to point a blaming finger.  That is if any pointable fingers are retained.  

Since there's speculations that this device is capable of creating a black hole, it's very comforting to know the work of Nassim Haramein, now mind-bogglingly echoed by Steven Hawking (with no references to Haramein's work, obviously -- so I guess it's his own original idea, just a coincidence).  According to Haramein, the black hole is half of the toroid structure which does not crush you all to hell once it pulls you in but merely spits you out into a parallel universe. 

I hope this parallel universe is the exact opposite of ours, everything vice versa, topsy turvy, helter skelter, and they keep anticipating the beginning of their world rather than the end.  They have many legends about the upcoming beginning.  Just as we have ours about the impending end.  I do hope their skeptics laugh at the absurd notion of the world they couldn't get going in all of its history, a static, unmovable world where nothing ever changes, suddenly going wrooom wrrroom...  and beginning.  I so look forward to going na na na na in their face.  

• Like 4

I'm reminded of an old science-fiction story from the Golden Era in which a desert research facility mysteriously vanished and was replaced by a wormhole into deep space "somewhere." A bit of a problem as it was rapidly consuming Earth's atmosphere, the military tried everything before calling in an oil-field expert.

After studying the situation, he demanded an iron-clad deed to that bit of land and then he capped it and tapped it and opened a business selling perfect vacuum.

• Like 3

Brian cox knows how to get mentioned in the press: just mention some run-of-the-mill fear-based semi-valid scientific stuff with a simple one-liner and the media will eat it up. Stephen Hawking did the same. Stupid journalists. Pathetic scientists.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of an old science-fiction story from the Golden Era in which a desert research facility mysteriously vanished and was replaced by a wormhole into deep space "somewhere." A bit of a problem as it was rapidly consuming Earth's atmosphere, the military tried everything before calling in an oil-field expert.

After studying the situation, he demanded an iron-clad deed to that bit of land and then he capped it and tapped it and opened a business selling perfect vacuum.

Brian, was this a novel about scientific engineering. I read something similar where each chapter was a story of engineers overcoming some weird problem. One was a world full of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. It was a really good read, but I cannot find the title.

Brian, was this a novel about scientific engineering. I read something similar where each chapter was a story of engineers overcoming some weird problem. One was a world full of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. It was a really good read, but I cannot find the title.

No, it was a mid-century short-story but I remember neither title nor author. Probably published in one of those popular sci-fi magazines and then anthologized in the 60s or 70s -- I read them by the truckload.

• Like 2

One more time, Red Adair to the rescue...

One more time, Red Adair to the rescue...

Exactly! After trying everything the scientists and military could think of quickly (with time being of the essence), they called in a Red Adair type, hoping he could come up with a way to "blow it out." He refused payment but demanded the property if he succeeded. His solution was to use two heavy bulldozers, approaching from opposite directions, to clamp two halves of a metal ball around the point, with a pipette coming off of it from which vacuum could be drawn. Of course, they then realized the brilliance of his request...

Vaguely on the subject; I must admit I hold my breath and cross my fingers until each September 11th ends. 

I personally believe we have the technology to completely obliterate any asteroid or comet that would threaten us, just because we aren't told that something exists, doesn't mean it doesn't. The system thrives off of peoples fear and an uncertainty, so it wouldn't serve them any benefit to let us know anyway.

Edited by Synchronic

The blood moon tetrad is a interesting one for sure. I think we are looking at a economic collapse pretty soon. 23rd?

Doesn't matter what exactly will be used as a trigger, perhaps multiple and seemingly unrelated triggers -- but what matters is that none of the predictive programming in the past fifteen years or so promises anything but trouble ahead.  Didn't they raise whole generations on the assumption that, in the immortal words of Dan Quayle, "the future will look better tomorrow?"  They don't use that program anymore.  The new one goes something like, "don't complain about what's wrong now -- you ain't seen nothing yet.  Something is not good, something is not right? -- just wait and see what the real 'not good' is like..."    

• Like 3

I personally believe we have the technology to completely obliterate any asteroid or comet that would threaten us, just because we aren't told that something exists, doesn't mean it doesn't. The system thrives off of peoples fear and an uncertainty, so it wouldn't serve them any benefit to let us know anyway.

Any asteroid or comet? Completely obliterate?

Keep in mind that below planets in terms of size we have classified dwarf planets, asteroids (which should really be called planetoids), and comets, among others. Asteroids can be hundreds of kilometres across, and comets tens of km.

And there are loads of them... like, loads and loads. They're all over the galaxy, we haven't observed the vast majority of them, and if one were coming at us, it's not guaranteed that we'd see it before it hit. There is a lot of space out there.

It's theorized that an asteroid/comet only 10 km across caused the last dinosaur extinction; something like that would be more than enough to wipe out life as we know it.

If the object coming towards us is, similarly, 10 km across, and is traveling at around 25 km/sec, it's going to be over 2 million km away just 24 hours before it hits. We would not see something that size from that far away. And even if we had powerful enough telescopes, it would only potentially be visible in the first place if we could see the Sun's light reflected from it; if it's traveling from the other direction, it's dark to us.

As for being able to obliterate such an object...  to launch a nuclear bomb into space with the accuracy to hit an object, at such short notice, thousands if not millions of km away, traveling at such speed? I really don't think it's likely. And the most powerful nuclear weapon we have would still only (as far as I am aware) be able to break it up into many smaller pieces, many of which would likely hit Earth anyway -- the numerous impacts would probably be just as lethal to us.

So.. yeah. 'They' might be lying to us about many things, but I think the maths/science is fairly accurate.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

Call me a cockeyed optimist but if we see a large asteroid coming our way, we can probably deal with it.  You don't have to vaporize it, just move it ofcourse by a few degrees.  Very little if you can get to it quickly enough.  We landed a fairly large sized remote unit on a moving asteroid.  If we have a couple more of those in stock we could set off a series explosions to nudge it off course. 

Trick is seeing them early.  Small ones get through unnoticed.  Almost a year ago, a meteor lit up a piece of Russia, recorded on dozens of car cameras (only in Russia) then exploded in the sky.  Reported with multi atomic bomb level energy but disbursing it high and over 100's miles of it was mostly windows that took the damage.  Stuff like that packs a wallop and we can't see very well. 

Oh well, a disaster every now and then makes life a little more interesting.  As long as you live through it.