Basher

Missing Page number 4

So I was in the Office working hard, as usual.

Had to go use the Photocopier, to (obviously) make a copy of some Reports. :mellow:

Put the first Report in the Document Feeder & whilst watching, I noticed that two pages had stuck together on the way through. Checking afterwards, I had to take out and copy Page 4 separately, as it had been missed from this 50 page Report. :angry:

A few minutes later, another Report & the exact same thing happened again. Now this report had some of the pages out of sync. But I was surprised to see that it was another Page 4 that was "missed". :o

Finally put the largest Report through the Copier & spotted it jump twice!!

Yup, you've guessed it, this time there were two letters & in each the Page marked 4 was missing !!!

:o :o :o

Apart from the Final Report, all only had one, marked "Page 4".

Now all I'd like to know / understand is:

What are the chances of that Happening (and should I now buy a Lottery Ticket) ? ;)

What, if anything, is the Universe trying to tell me ? :blink:

Or am I going Mad ? :D :D :D

• Like 1

So I was in the Office working hard, as usual.

Had to go use the Photocopier, to (obviously) make a copy of some Reports. :mellow:

Put the first Report in the Document Feeder & whilst watching, I noticed that two pages had stuck together on the way through. Checking afterwards, I had to take out and copy Page 4 separately, as it had been missed from this 50 page Report. :angry:

A few minutes later, another Report & the exact same thing happened again. Now this report had some of the pages out of sync. But I was surprised to see that it was another Page 4 that was "missed". :o

Finally put the largest Report through the Copier & spotted it jump twice!!

Yup, you've guessed it, this time there were two letters & in each the Page marked 4 was missing !!!

:o :o :o

Apart from the Final Report, all only had one, marked "Page 4".

Now all I'd like to know / understand is:

What are the chances of that Happening (and should I now buy a Lottery Ticket) ? ;)

What, if anything, is the Universe trying to tell me ? :blink:

Or am I going Mad ? :D :D :D

I'd review what page 4 said and really search for any lesson on that page- even if encoded in mundane

SOTG's: As it was regarding a Commutation iro Insurance / Reinsurance, it's going to be "extremely" Mundane, but I'll take a read of my copy. thanks.

Karl: What's RTFL ? These Letters were stapled together, so (obviously) had to un-staple everything, prior to putting through the Feeder.  

Love It !

Never seen this Film, but intend to do so, if only in order to find out if any more of relevance, in it !

Thanks TM

• Like 1

One of my favorite plays, TM! The movie was pretty nice, too. :)

Makes me wanna go watch it again...

• Like 1

Basher - have you found anything coded in the mundane on page 4?  :ph34r:

(and I'd really like to know what RTFL means too.  Rolling Towards Floor Laughing?)

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

I watched it four times over the years.  The first time, I didn't have enough English to understand much of what was going on, so it was extremely mysterious and disturbing.  :D The second time, I found it extremely funny.  The third time, profoundly tragic.  And the fourth time, I don't even know what.  :unsure:

And this might be what the printer was trying to tell Basher with those four repetitions of page four antics?  Watch this movie four times? :glare:

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

I like this thread.  I like to keep my mind vacant in case something important comes along.

OK, I'll throw in a black ball (I owe you one for Genji from another thread :ph34r: ).  The number 4 in Chinese is a homophone of the word for "death," which is why it is avoided -- sometimes they even skip it when numbering houses in the street.  The movie I referenced is "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead."  The "heads" the coins keep flipping to against all statistical odds are actually destiny's way of informing them what is about to happen to their own heads.  On the bright side, Basher may have been told by the printer that he's going to be an immortal, since page 4 -- death -- was consistently missing. 

Messengers of fate are often humble, mundane -- but I always try to remember that the queen who dispatches them is anything but.

• Like 2

Perhaps the printer just had a hankering for page fours that day. Machines get hungry, too.

• Like 1

I prefer Taomeow's "bright side" take on it !! :D  Basher The Immortal !! :D

Interesting note about "Death" though, as for several years I've not heard of anyone close to me having died.

Last Year (2014) one of my closest mates from schooldays, lost his Mother, and an ex Neighbour of mine got diagnosed with Mesothelioma & died within six months !!

This year (2015) we've already lost (Big) John, a great character & Tai Chi Instructor for the TAO, who was 2 years younger than me !! My Partners Mother & my Favourite Aunt, admittedly both of them were aged. But now I'm wondering if there's a 4th Funeral to attend sometime soon. :(

• Like 1

OK, I'll throw in a black ball (I owe you one for Genji from another thread :ph34r: ).  The number 4 in Chinese is a homophone of the word for "death," which is why it is avoided -- sometimes they even skip it when numbering houses in the street.  The movie I referenced is "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead."  The "heads" the coins keep flipping to against all statistical odds are actually destiny's way of informing them what is about to happen to their own heads.  On the bright side, Basher may have been told by the printer that he's going to be an immortal, since page 4 -- death -- was consistently missing.

Messengers of fate are often humble, mundane -- but I always try to remember that the queen who dispatches them is anything but.

Okay, hotshot.  LOL.  Are we even now?

So the number 4 in Chinese is the number 13 here?  That really does throw an ominous cast over this whole page 4 enigma.  

On the darker side - if the page was missing it could be lurking somewhere to surprise Basher.  Basher, I hope your affairs are in order.

• Like 2

So the number 4 in Chinese is the number 13 here?  

It is, and more...

14 = sure to die

24 = can easily meet with death

34 = death or life.. just a roll of the dice

44 = double-death (a most taboo number)

Other perms like 114, 124, 144, 224, 244, 444, 144, 244, 444, and so on... are also avoided. 

• Like 3

Is the source of this something in nature?  Or something in Chinese lore?  Or the I Ching?  Or Astrology?

All of the above. 

The taoist thought postulates the fourfold cosmic process -- roughly translated as Conception, Growth, Fruition, Consummation, or put simply, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.  It is thought of as universal, but it is also thought of as cyclical -- Consummation, Winter, Death are the end of one cycle but also the beginning of the next.  Nothing in the universe comes to a standstill (wuji) forever, being comes from nonbeing -- not once, but continuously. 

However, in the human world, what comes after death is a big unknown, all we know for sure is that death is "final' as observed on the level of one human life, and of course everybody fears this cessation of life.  (Well, except for buddhists who don't think it's politically correct to enjoy life and hope to bail out. :D )  But if one takes the taoist cognitive paradigm for face value, there's nothing to fear.  "What will the great tao make me next?  A rat?  A rat's liver perhaps?  Where can she take me where it's not good?" -- Zhuangzi

The fourfold process terminating in stage four, "consummation," and the number 4 being homophonous with the word "death" is one example, out of many, of holographic fields of meaning embedded in the words of the Chinese language.  I know very little of it but time and again their insights, play of images, play of ideas sometimes on the level of just one syllable, blow my mind.  Most people, however, will just base their perceptions on one topmost level of meaning -- 4=death -- and jump to conclusions, some of which may be justified (I don't believe in "superstitions" being meaningless, unless they are recent -- ancient ones are always meaningful and rooted in observations of natural processes not available to modern people -- I actually collect them and try to follow).  But the surface meaning is not the whole story... by far.   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5

Your likening it to a holographic field of meaning is a wonderful image.

Do you think that the 4 (meaning death at the surface level) is the reason that all pursuant numbers that CT listed are to be avoided, because of the fact that 4 is mentioned?  Or is that something more holographic too?  I couldn't help but be reminded of several of the Sutras in their mention of buddha-land upon buddha-land - almost like being in a glass funhouse.  There seems to be such a 'rhythm' about CT's list that transcends the mere mention of 4.

Or not.  What do I know, lol?  Thank you for your beautiful explanation, Taomeow.

• Like 1