AussieTrees

Lower back pain resource.

Hi all,

We could build a resource related to lower back pain.

No longer experience pain that much anymore.

Left leg numbness,like a tooth injection to numb the pain but in the leg.

Chi gong helpful,some days full feeling.

Have also developed my own self massage routine,helpful in reducing lbt stress.

Also have some basic stretching routines,also helpful.

Then when all else fail,ibiprofin or nuerofin as it is traded.

Recently began using again after 6-7months.

Welcome to hear other coping strategies.

• Like 1

In my mid 20's I had pretty bad back pain and sciatica.  Some surgeon even recommended operating, glad I didn't do it.  Ultimately stretching and strengthening (and high dose ibuprofen) was what brought lasting relief.  

These days when I get stiff I swear by my Spoonk; a yoga mat with 1,600 1/4 inch plastic spikes.  It hurts when you lay on it.  Maybe that hurt translates into a release of endorphins or maybe its hitting a few acupressure points along with 1590 others, but it gives me relatively quick relief.

Any kind of relaxing guided meditation is good too.  Often back pain becomes a nasty closed circuit.  You're in pain so you tighten and tightening brings more pain.   I'll give a shout out to yoga nidra site as a resource for free deep relaxing mp3's - http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/ and go to Downloads.

• Like 2

I found acupuncture and especially cupping offer excellent short term relief from back pain (although my issues have mostly been with the upper back). Far superior to anything Western medicine had to offer short of powerful painkillers (and that's not a route you want to go down).

Long term improvement seems to come from correcting posture and releasing tension - some resources I've found which have helped with this have included Sifu Dunn's Chi Kung for Health DVD's, Damo Mitchell's books (especially Nei Gong, which contains an amazing collection of exercises for returning your posture to it's natural, relaxed state, but also Heavenly Streams) and local classes in Tai Chi and meditation (especially the Tai Chi, since a teacher on hand can spot all sorts of problems with your posture which you won't notice yourself).

Back pain sucks - good luck beating it :)

• Like 2

I've found that McKenzie method is really simple and can work well.

What's that exactly?

Edited by gendao

Elbows resting on knees.

This posture came to me a few months ago.

Standing feet apart toe in slightly knees bent a bit.

Start with hands on hips.

Slowly ease hands down to thighs whilst leaning forward.

The natural motion is for your hands to slide to your knees.

Poke your bum out,and rest with hands on knees,if this position feels good,after a time try resting elbows on knees.

Sometimes you can hear spine stretching into place,generally gives short term LBP relief.

What's that exactly?

Well, this isn't the whole method by any means, but this is what I recall of a portion of it (the book is cheap)...

Stage one: Lay on belly (prone position) with arms at sides while relaxing the low back and butt muscles for a couple of minutes or until they release. Do this every 2 hours of the day ideally.

Stage two: perform stage one. Now place the elbows beneath you, like a sphinx posture, and rest on them while letting the belly drop so that the low back kind of extends...once again relax the low back and butt muscles. After a couple of minutes, or when the muscles release and it feels totally comfortable, return back to stage one and repeat it.

Stage 3: perform stage one. Perform stage two. Now place the palms on the ground beneath you and straighten the arms, while letting the belly drop and low back extend...relax the muscles as before until it feels normal and comfortable or for a couple of minutes. Return to stage 2. Return to stage one. This is still done ideally every 2 hours.

It's best for degenerative disc patients, apparently...but I found that it works for low back pain in general too. You start modest and wait until there is some improvement before going up to the next stage. The idea behind the method is that you're basically moving the lumbar vertebrae so that the muscles surrounding them get used to being in a position of extension, which is how the lumbar is supposed to work...many people especially with low back pain tend to sit most of the day, so this counteracts that by doing a normal body movement they barely ever do. Regarding degenerative disc...there's also a kind of theory in the McKenzie method that you want the pain to centralize around the vertebrae rather than radiate down the legs for instance, so this method is known to help with that centralization. I'm sure there's a lot that I don't recall about it, too.

By the way, chronic low back pain is generally a Kidney deficiency issue.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 2

^^ Interesting - sounds like basically Cobra Pose to counteract a slouch. Although I've found that computer slouching is often caused by a tight posterior chain, particularly hamstrings...

72d46fb0120610474783de1c48707090.jpg

April21sit.gif

That keeps your pelvis/thigh angle obtuse, which then inverts your lumbar curve and collapses your spine like a leaning Jenga stack... And when your body is not properly aligned, it must then strain to compensate. Ergo, lower back pain...

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2

Back pain is a symptom of adrenal fatigue (kydney deficiency in TCM)

"Adrenal Gland–Related Muscles

Dr. Goodheart identified five specific skeletal muscles which are related to adrenal gland function. These are 1) sartorius, 2) gracilis, 3) posterior tibialis, 4) gastrocnemius, and 5) soleus. There will be weakness in one or more of these muscles when the adrenal glands are malfunctioning. Because of the attachments of the sartorius and gracilis on the pelvis, (sartorius—anterior superior iliac spine; gracilis—pubic ramus), their weakness in persons with adrenal stress problems may allow the sacroiliac joint to subluxate posteriorly. The sartorius and gracilis stabilize the innominate (one side of the pelvis), holding it in an anterior direction. Many persons with hypoadrenia seek chiropractic help for the care of sacroiliac pain and/or low back pain which is due to the lack of pelvic stabilization normally provided by these muscles.

The sartorius and gracilis have a common insertion (along with the semitendinosis) on the medial side of the knee and rotate the tibia medially on the femur. When weakness of these muscles occurs, there is a loss of stability on the medial side of the knee. The sartorius and gracilis (along with the semitendinosis) act as dynamic ligaments, protecting and supporting the medial knee joint during various ranges of motion. Their function is particularly important in situations where the knee ligaments alone offer inadequate support.

It is very important to check for hypoadrenia in any person with knee problems. One can see how one hypoadrenic person will present with knee problems and another with back problems, and some persons will have both.

Due to the relationship of the posterior tibialis, gastrocnemius, and soleus to the stability of the foot and ankle, many hypoadrenic persons will complain of symptoms of tired feet, weak ankles, or aching calves. The posterior tibialis holds up the medial longitudinal arch of the foot, especially during gait. In some persons exhibiting hypoadrenia-related weakness of the posterior tibialis, the medial arch will drop, causing a pronation problem and strain to the foot and ankle. The one common factor in persons with the above-mentioned musculoskeletal complaints will be the weakness of one or more of the five adrenal gland related muscles accompanied by improvement of their symptoms following treatment of the adrenal glands."

From here : http://www.tuberose.com/Adrenal_Glands.html

It can be fixed with diet and certain exercises. Meditation helps because it lowers cortisol and let adrenals to recover. Same as qigong, walking, taichi, yoga.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 3

How good is it when we feel well?

My old Grandfather,would always say to me,"best thing in life is your good health"

Took the ibuprofen,kept doing the exercises,so now feel much better thankyou.

No ibuprofen past 24 hrs,walking freely.

• Like 2

wall sit is excellent for all types of back pain, you want to make sure you are pushing the lower back into the wall

• Like 1

I have had back pain since my early teens and have suffered with sciatica for the last year and a half. I have two herniated discs in my lumbar spine and a vertebrae that is out of place in my thoracic spine. I also have neck problems.   

I have tried many things over the years, but IMO the best approach (depending on the cause) is a combination of eastern and western ideas and treatments. 

In terms of western treatments, the combination of core stability exercises, combined with a movement practice that helps to release patterns of muscular tension and self myofascial release has helped best.

Stuart McGill and Grey Cook are both good for core stability and functional movement stuff:

http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/selecting_back_exercises.pdf

Thomas Hanna and Moshe Feldenkrais are the go to teachers for releasing patterns of muscular tension:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Somatics-Reawakening-Control-Movement-Flexibility/dp/0738209570

For self Myofascial release/trigger point therapy, Clair Davies is very good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

Eastern methods I am not so familar with, but the things that have helped me are tai chi, qi gong and some exercises from Damo mitchell's book, Daoist Nei Gong. 

In particular the spinal wave exercise is good for realigning the spine and is something I have been experimenting with recently. 

For sciatica, my suggestion is a core stability program (strengthening the multifidus and transverse abdominis) combined with and internal practice like tai chi or qi gong.

You want to strengthen your core stabilizing muscles as much as possible to support your spine and give the discs a chance to heal, while doing an energetic practice which will also help facilitate healing.

I am not the best at keeping to a routine, but I have tried most things and these are what work for me when I do them consistently. 

Edited by kudos100
  • Like 3

In particular the spinal wave exercise is good for realigning the spine and is something I have been experimenting with recently.

I found this one excellent as well - I've been doing a lot of work lately on opening up the hips and straightening the spine, and this exercise (and his book in general) helped enormously.

• Like 1

I have neck issues myself so I know about pain! Uggg!! I don't use pain meds though, even over the counter ones. What I find helps is using my TENS unit, sitting on a stability ball, and ice. Also, when you are sitting still not using your hands, turn your palms face up. It is a acupressure trick that eases neck and back pain with in 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

There's an amazing thing called the Feldenkrais Method for easing many kinds of pain, helping recovery from injuries, and for improving awareness of one's physical body.  I did a 4-month internship with a practitioner and learning about it was the key to helping me begin healing my lower back.  It's still a work in progress but things keep getting better.

You basically do all these tiny movements, and the practitioner helps you use your attention to explore all the sensations that arise - all the shifts your body parts take in relation to one another.  It's almost like a guided movement meditation intended to help you learn about your body & movement patterns.

www.tiffanysankary.com/download.html - This is the website of the person I interned with, you can buy recordings of her lessons here but sometimes she offers one or two for free.  I'm sure you could also find some Feldenkrais lessons on youtube or elsewhere.

Send me a message if you wanna learn any more about it.  I'm not a practitioner but I've been thinking of making my own mindful movement recordings based on what I learned from Feldenkrais and yoga, other forms of meditation etc.  I've written a couple articles about it on my blog: www.syntropulse.com/2015/02/08/feldenkrais-sensitivity/

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 4

Dont know if its been mentioned, but things like Yamuna Body Rolling, or using tennis balls, or other types of balls or doodads such as theracanes, etc. have been very helpful in treating my LBP. Also, directly targeting and strengthening lower abs is important, as, when they are in a weakened condition, they directly affect quadratus lumborum, and erector spinae groups, lower traps, and miscellaneous small muscles such as multifidus and whatnot. Take a look at pelvic tilt, and have hamstring/quadriceps strength and flexibility assessed. Many things effect lower back, including quality of foot wear. Determine if any significant leg-length discrepancy exists, and try to walk softly, like a cat. All day long heel pounding equates with hammer strikes sending vibrations up the skeletal chains. Never standing with locked knees for long, and use of ice/heat/ice (contrast therapy) should be integrated.

• Like 1

I was an athlete all my life and a problem developed in my back which now can only be corrected by surgery... I can only delay further onset.

Over the years, I have found one really major impact to keeping it at bay:  Keep my weight down.

There seems a threshold within my body that if I cross a certain weight, I immediately feel it.

With any body issue, I think there are protective mechanisms at work and what happens to me is that although my body fat is reasonably low, any weight gain tends to accumulate some around my weakened back area.... and that seems to put the pressure on my lower back. 

So, IMO, while it is good to know some general tips for exercise, stretching (and they should be employed as applicable), it is key to understand your own body and it's response to what is going on in your life.   Once I figured out how to combat my individual bodily responses to my back issue, I at least had an understanding of how to more directly help it.   

• Like 3

Thankyou dawei,you have nailed it.

We all eat to much hi calorie foods,yeah we love it.

LBP generally flares up as we get overweight,so it becomes easy to fast when experiencing LBP.

Drink plenty of water,then when you are good and hungry after at least 30 hours of fasting,eat something that will clear the bowels.

Beans and vegetables is my favourite with plenty of chilli,sometimes 14 weetbix works just as well,or pasta.Anyway if all goes well the bowels will empty with some relief to lower back.

Then fast another 24hours,drink plenty of fluids.

• Like 1

Lower Back Pain is fundamentally, usually, due to Yin Deficiency in some form.

The Kidneys, being the Root of Yin, the center of the body's Yin and Yang, the "Root of Life", and the "Root of all the Organs".

In TCM, the kidneys are described as housing the essence and being the root of yin and yang for the entire body-mind.

If the relationship between the kidneys, the lower dantien, huiyin, yong quan, the anus, ming men, jing, calmness, gentleness, water and the core of the earth are all tonified and regulated - the presence of lower back pain is usually minimal.

When we leak jing, which we do incessantly, constantly, we step every moment toward the dissolution of the ability for our spirit to anchor into form via essence.

These Kidney Medical Qigong Sets done for 2-5 mins daily will sort out lower back pain very easily (provided you don't mind being labelled a Ball Hugger! :blink: )

• Like 2