daojones

Boxers Fracture healing

I have had multiple minor boxer fractures since starting to box, and each time it takes longer to heal. It really sucks because I want to train..and also having an injured hand is no fun. It's not that bad, but im concerned that its taking so long to heal this time and I'm concerned about long term damage. Any tips on dealing with this to minimize long term damage?

on the nutriment side of things, i've heard using eucommia & deer antler together can drastically speed up healing from physical injury, as well as replenishing deeper energy reserves. could be worth a try, though deer antler is a little expensive, but eucommia at least is doable.

• Like 2

What is your form in regard to punching in training?

Some say to hit with the first two knuckles with the wrist in a straight line and the palm facing down...this is a more modern version which is aimed at not causing boxer's fracture.

The old way, as in Jack Dempsey's book, which I think is superior in terms of having good alignment in the punch and therefore power, is to hit with the last three knuckles, but at the same time to avoid hitting predominantly with the pinky. A way to do this is to focus on hitting with the radial side of the ring finger's knuckle. This style of punching is also done with the palm facing the opposite side of the body, rather than pointed down...by punching that way it minimizes the chances of hitting the pinky knuckle. Lets say you use this style, with the palm facing downward, in a hook...that will cause the boxer's fracture.

Seems to me that the old style requires slower training of the muscle memory to ensure that a boxer's fracture isn't going to happen...the body has to get used to avoiding the pinky finger.

• Like 1

ya, using the punch with top 2 knuckles method.

I think the issue is a combination of my form and the trainer. When I trained with other trainers I didnt have this issue. But my main coach always caused this problem (hence the repetitive injury). 

On my side, I could see I wasnt punching accurately and my wrist was getting crunched sometimes or i was hitting with my pinky sometimes. From the coach's side, he would slam the pads into my hands when I was punching and also didnt hold the pads up high enough for me due to height difference. So I would guess a combo of my accuracy and form being not well trained and the trainer not providing a good target for me caused this problem.

Oh yeah another thing...it's good to wrap the hands well first, and also wear gloves over the wraps, when hitting hard.

Yup, I do that. Not that I hit that hard...but I did notice that as soon as I got my form better (and as a result started hitting harder) that's when the injury issues began.

• Like 1

Do you get enough sunshine during any given year?

Could be a vitamin D & calcium deficiency.

Hitting too hard too early in training will cause problems too.

-VonKrankenhaus

only thing I can think of is slow down.  Take a few weeks slow.  That is, hit the bags(or shadow box), but much slower(short session too), working on the best body mechanics, hand alignment and tension in the arm and fist.  Have someone experienced critique your form and give pointers. 

This'll give the hand time to heal without continually overstressing it and may help with the underlying cause of the fractures.