SriChi

Dan Harden's Bodywork

OK, just back from Dan Harden's seminar.

First, you must understand that I have zero martial arts experience.

So, Dan is working with internal power. This is not Qi that he is talking about. At least not in the ways Qigong refers to Qi, or the way I understand it :)

This system is based on biotensegrity and the network of fascial meridians (Anatomy Trains, he recommends as a good reference), and using the model of the Heaven-Earth-Man (or more accurately Heaven-Man-Earth). This is not a new system as Dan repeatedly points out.

So, the art is about practicing control over these fascia to achieve internal balance. Everything is spirals and circles :)

It is a subtle art, so reading or even watching videos won't help. And, I don't say that to sound exclusive lol. If you see some of the basic, practice exercises, you'll think they are just standing in wu chi. But, the internal mechanics is different.

Dan invites all of us to feel the power generated, and how he is moving the fascia internally. He is a very down-to-earth, very approachable guy. And, I really admire his no-nonsense approach to this. There are no secret doors, no hoops to jump through.

Dan himself comes from a Judo/MMA background. And, from the various disciplines that I saw at the seminar (Aikido, Karate, Yang Tai Chi, I-Liq-Chuan), and from what I actually experienced working with him, what he has got is legit.

For example, it was a surreal feeling to have a bigger guy than me trying and struggling to lift my elbows. :ph34r:

You can check the testimonials page - http://www.bodyworkseminars.org/testimonials.html - to maybe get a better idea of what he does. They all generally say that Dan's wok improves their individual martial arts. And, I can see how. Dan says his system is plug-n-play, because this system is not anything new, and he doesn't own it. It is just the way your body works.

Overall, this is something I would absolutely pursue if I want to have solid internal power for martial applications.

My interests lie more in body integrity and healing. And, getting intimate with my fascial network, is definitely a step toward a more, integrated relationship with my body.

Edited by SriChi
  • Like 3

So, Dan is working with internal power. This is not Qi that he is talking about. At least not in the ways Qigong refers to Qi, or the way I understand it :)

This system is based on biotensegrity and the network of fascial meridians (Anatomy Trains, he recommends as a good reference), and using the model of the Heaven-Earth-Man (or more accurately Heaven-Man-Earth). This is not a new system as Dan repeatedly points out.

So, the art is about practicing control over these fascia to achieve internal balance. Everything is spirals and circles :)

It is a subtle art, so reading or even watching videos won't help. And, I don't say that to sound exclusive lol. If you see some of the basic, practice exercises, you'll think they are just standing in wu chi. But, the internal mechanics is different.

Dan invites all of us to feel the power generated, and how he is moving the fascia internally. He is a very down-to-earth, very approachable guy. And, I really admire his no-nonsense approach to this. There are no secret doors, no hoops to jump through.

How exactly do you move the fascia internally and how does extreme softness aid that?

11 years training under Yamaguchi Sensei. Everyday he tells me-"Not soft enough." 33 Years later I encounter this man, Dan Harden. I can't do anything to him. First thing he says to me? "Not soft enough!" It's my opinion that what he is doing ....is.... Aikido!

And how are the Anatomy Trains fascial meridians defined as - and how do they compare to Chinese qi meridians?

anatomytrains.jpg?format=1500w

Anatomy-Trains.jpg

And could you describe what Dan's "internal power" felt like?  Are there any videos of him in action?

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

gendao, Appendix C of the 2e of the book compares the fascial meridians with the chinese system.

His power felt like regular power, nothing esoteric. He could generate an enormous amount of force, with hardly any wind-up.

"One-inch punch? How about no-inch punch?"

That's what this system does. There is no telegraph, no wind-up.

The power is just there when you need it.

And, there is also the spiraling movements and constantly going back to our own center. There is no reaction to external stimuli, just always contained within our own center.

In one of the exercises he had us do, it felt like I was just rolling off people (how do you push against a revolving sphere? Your tangential force will simply slide off).

The how part of this. Well, it involves intending to pull on these fascia. It really is that, you just trust that with intention you will be able to manipulate the fascia (the same way with intention you move your fingers). So, we intend that we are pulling at the top of the head, and the bottom of the shins as depicted in the last two pictures you posted.

Same thing with pulling on the fascia on the left and on the right.

There are some threads on aikiweb which go into these a bit more, but the way to learn this is to feel it.

... the idea of using the entire fascia system at once in a unified system to increase one's power. And because this increase of power is carried out through this invisible system of connective tissue, it is called "internal power."

from: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12965

Edited by SriChi
  • Like 3