Sign in to follow this  
Fusion

Healing hands

I have a question about healing and healer safety.

When you are working on a patient...is it possible to pick up their toxic energy? Or, if you feel any of their discomfort - is that just an empathetic reaction and not actually "absorbing" that problem yourself?

And if you can pick bad qi up - are there procedures to protect yourself or purify yourself afterwards?

Also, is it possible to drain your own qi when healing others?

I seem to have heard some conflicting views on all these, so does anyone know the real deal?

When you are working on a patient...is it possible to pick up their toxic energy? Or, if you feel any of their discomfort - is that just an empathetic reaction and not actually "absorbing" that problem yourself?

And if you can pick bad qi up - are there procedures to protect yourself or purify yourself afterwards?

I seem to have heard some conflicting views on all these, so does anyone know the real deal?

I think it will depend on your method. If you heal by being open, you are certainly susceptible. But the only stuff that will stick is stuff that resonates with your own blocks.

If you heal by sending energy, much depends on whether you act as a battery sending your own energy, or as a tube guiding environmental energy. If the latter, you are less likely to be depleted.

I've had just a little training in healing. I'm advised, at this stage, to work on no more than one non-fellow-practitioner per day and to do maybe 20-30 mins of downward flushing chi kung afterwards.

Hope helps.

perhaps i can answer this. i do healing work anywhere from 4 to 7 days a week, in addition to teaching.

yes, it's possible to pick up the toxic energy of another person (especially if you think of it as "toxic").

and yes, sometimes its just an empathic reaction, or an echo in yourself of what that person is experiencing.

yes there are practices to protect yourself and to purify yourself afterwards (as well as beforehand).

and it is ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE to drain your own qi when healing others! this is what most people do, in fact. it's not necessary, but i think it's so common because of the unrefined mindset of most healing practitioners.

it's all pretty much a matter of right thinking and the subjugation of the ego.

thinking of energy as "toxic" can guarantee that it IS. thinking of energy as merely blocked or stagnant is different; you can free and release this energy, and your body simply relates to it as freed energy.

picking up another person's illness primarily happens when the healer has an ego attachment to a certain kind of result. they can unknowingly invest themselves in another person's illness just by needing that person to "feel something" in order to validate themselves. most healers have this problem, and most of them aren't consistently successful in their work.

attachment to result = resistance to natural flow = increased probability of side-effects and personal drainage

a lot of qigong masters fall sick and frail at early ages because they have slowly drained themselves into their patients over the years. this is very common and completely unnecessary. its a way of relating to the world and the energy. some say it's a matter of energy coming 'through you' versus 'from you.' but even this distinction fails to shed enough light on the matter if you're not paying attention.

neither process is necessary. however we relate is the avenue through which it will function. period. what's safest and most effective depends on the work you've done to clear your own debris.

i treat most healing sessions like prayer, so it's like i'm inviting the healing presence to pour upon all of us. it doesn't have to come through me at all. i can sit in another room (or city, if i'm in the right mind frame) and have a more powerful session than if i'm touching the person.

ultimately it's we who create the rules and limitations.

i may have missed something, but i have to go right now.

Along the same lines, I've been working with a Chi Nei Tsang based system called Unwinding the Belly. It's a self- massage modality designed to unblock the belly and connect with our bodies. The big difference is that you are using your hands to heal yourself by opening up the lines of communication with the organs themselves. A fellow Taobum, Freeform, has talked about his process of talking with various trouble spots within his body as a healing process; hope he jumps in on this thread. I've used his method very successfully to loosen up a major tightness just below my sternum in the vicinity of the gall bladder. A serious car accident 25 years ago resulted in a cracked rib in the area that would manifest itself up until recently after coughing etc. Going in, gently touching it and opening a soothing dialog began a process of healing. My wife has all sorts of blockages and issues within her belly that I would love to help her with. However, the Unwinding process is about healing yourself. I tried the basic techniques on her, but without much success. She really wasn't in a frame of mind to be healed, said it felt good, but tickled. Additional reading and a seminar in Chi Nei Tsang are in my future.

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone! Some good stuff here to chew on...

Honestly, I'm still a little confused, but it appears that there may be different answers depending upon your mindset and how you operate.

Perhaps if your mind, beliefs and ego are strongly involved, it may be more possible to pick up "toxic" qi and drain yourself.

But if not, and you perhaps are more just asking to facilitate healing, you might not be so susceptible to such problems.

But I dunno, I guess experience and experimentation (experimence/experientation?) will teach me more on all this..

Edited by vortex

but it appears that there may be different answers depending upon your mindset and how you operate.

the truth in a nutshell.

as a result, YMMV,

there is more than one way to heal. Do not let anyone convince you they are the next jesus until they actually perform a miracle in front of you.

Sign in to follow this