Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Not Doing - And Everything Gets Done

I'd like to share a short and true story I experienced recently.

One morning, when I was on the highway, I suddenly felt the strong urge to be kind and friendly to everyone (much, much more kind, friendly and cautious than usual), to be soft and Yin as possible (I have seen a video of Bruno Gröning the night before).

I stoped at a motorway restaurant and ordered some coffee-to-go. The young waitress was really bitchy and unkind to me (never experienced that before), but I remained deliberately friendly.

All of the sudden a man came in, ordered something that wasn't even there and he was unfair to her, shouted at the waitress for no reason, humilated her and went out. Also never seen that before.

I know this was an important teaching for me!

Did my not-reacting create some kind of vacuum, that made the Tao react?

Edited by Rocco
  • Like 1

probably not,

the tao treats us all

like day old coffee. 

it doesn't play favorites.

>I'll add so far I've mastered half of it.

The ability to not do..

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Hi Rocco,

I'm with Thelerner here.  Your presence there likely had no effect on what happened.

Cause and effect still rule.  The waitress had a bad night and the guy had just gotten a speeding ticket.  Who knows?

And it's still better to be nice than to be bitchy.

• Like 1

probably not,

the tao treats us all

like day old coffee. 

it doesn't play favorites.

The Dao doesn't play favourites but it does 'favour' behaviours that are in harmony with the patterns of the Dao. If I was in the situation Rocco describes, I'd look for lessons too. The functioning of the Dao will always be ultimately mysterious for us humans. 

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 4

Residing in stillness provided an opportunity for you to witness something from which you may learn. Doors unlock and passing through them provides new opportunities. By observing energetic interactions, the way ripples affect each other, one is provided a chance to patterns emerge. When the pool becomes calm, one can see more deeply.

Now, as to what you might learn from this observation -- well... Such things ring with many harmonics, many frequencies among which an observer will only perceive those below a certain level. The "significant" lesson varies depending on the observer's energetic state.

• Like 8

Hi Rocco,

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but I reckon you should just forget the experience and not read too much in to it. Some practices can result in various emotional releases, but a long term product is to have balanced, proportional emotional responses to all situations. Your initial situation was driving on the highway. Any 'proper' emotional experiences you should be having at the time should be in tune with what you were doing - which was driving. Your kind and friendly emotions at the time, (although very positive and pleasant) where out of tune with your task at the time. A release maybe, but not in phase with what you were doing. You then took this slightly distorted emotional state into the restaurant. This mildly altered state could then result in you slightly misinterpreting what happened, or rather reading too much into it.

Not to diminish any insights you had while driving, it is often a time when the mind can wonder and come up with good ideas, and being more friendly to people is definitely a good idea. But I feel you might be reading too much in to those events.

All the best,

Miffymog

• Like 2

Hi Rocco,

From my perspective, the bitchy waitress was attracting both the unruly customer and you, representing the opposite pole to your explicit kindness.

The Dao always seeks balance. :)

Edited: Typo

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 4

Hi Rocco,thankyou for sharing your story.

You were audience to real life at play,front row,cool.

How you got your ticket,matters not,you describe two powerful performances.

Acting our part,and watching others perform is what we do all day.

It feels good to perform well,regardless of your activity.

At work we have to read the appropriate behaviours,like minimum acceptable behaviours.

It would be nice if everyone adhered to acceptable behaviours.

Some people are just @%#and often are a captured audience,not always directly involved,so we witness.

Compassion towards all involved is possible.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this