Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

Do you connect the chakras with enlightenment?

Do you connect the chakras with Enlightenment?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you connect the chakras with Enlightenment?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure what they do.

Vote! And possibly explain your stance on Chakras and their relevance to enlightenment in the comments below.

Edit: Awakening might be a better term than enlightenment. 

Edited by MooNiNite

We might "work on" our chakras - such as removing and clearing body hardness and energetic blockages.

Maybe we develop better energy flow through body as we do.

So, maybe hormonal functions start improving. And digestion, and many other functions.

But what is "enlightenment"?

I tend to think it suggests removing weight, becoming lighter, moving upwards, less dense, etc, etc.

So, on Earth surface between Heaven and Earth, horizontally, we may be "on one level" - with people, things, ideas,,,.

When we "get over" these, and "rise above" (vertically) them, we say this was due to "enlightenment".

Is it the functioning of our chakras that allows us to "get over" our situations and illusions?

Or, is it our perception, intelligence and discernment?

Of course, these are related in some ways and not so much in other ways, and here I am just trying to suggest how/what they are, such that an "answer" to the OP could be: "yes, and no".

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

I'm with Ramana Maharshi on this. Don't worry too much about what's under the bonnet. With pure heart practice the chakras will take care of themselves.

• Like 2

In Mahayoga the primary emphasis relates to visualization. 

In Anuyoga the primary emphasis relates to working with the chakras via yoga and mudras. 

Maha Ati works directly with nature of mind, fusing clarity and emptiness, bypassing both the above. 

All three paths can lead to the threshold of complete enlightenment. Degrees of stability gained would depend entirely on the integration of View, Meditation and Action (in all three). 

Why three different approaches? Mahayoga is suited for those prone to unstoppable anger; Anuyoga for those who are caught in the web of neuroticism caused by greed, attachment & desire, and Atiyoga unites both via mind training, which requires more discipline and stricter observance of samayas, but swifter result. 

Even those who have no affinity with chakras, or who cannot for whatever reason practice Anuyoga can still train optimally towards awakening via the other two paths. 

Everyone seems to have a different conception of what enlightenment is. Lacking a common definition, conversations on the subject tend to be divergent. But to answer the question from the Vedanta definition of enlightenment, being jnana, self knowledge, then nah...the chakras have nothing to do with it. Knowledge of chakras doesn't equate with knowledge of self any more than knowledge of toenails does :) it can be helpful though, getting the gear into check in order to have a clear, still, inquiry-worthy mind

Edited by amoyaan

Everyone seems to have a different conception of what enlightenment is. Lacking a common definition, conversations on the subject tend to be divergent. But to answer the question from the Vedanta definition of enlightenment, being jnana, self knowledge, then nah...the chakras have nothing to do with it. Knowledge of chakras doesn't equate with knowledge of self any more than knowledge of toenails does :) it can be helpful though, getting the gear into check in order to have a clear, still, inquiry-worthy mind

Only if you don't know what enlightenment is.  Those who are on the path and have some slight experiences relating to a possible enlightenment...they know what enlightenment is.  First, the mind must be able to enter into a samadhi.  That is, your mind must be able to penetrate into the nature of mind and the reality of mind via some mystical, meditative experiences and results.  The Samadhi experience  CAN NOT be a mind game or some contrived understanding.  When it happens, you would know it.  The difference here is that different cultivators on their own paths may experience to a various degree of absorption levels.  Some can remain in this Samadhi, jhana absorption levels for a longer period than others.  

If you haven't obtained any results from your meditation, is hard to talk about what is enlightenment....because you don't even know where is the gate or the entrance to enlightenment.      

Edited by ChiForce

For the OP, it is important to have a healthy body, energetic system for the purpose of sustaining the mind to reach enlightenment.  So, a well connected, freely open chakra system is important.  If not, you would spend your whole life in thinking that your mind is the master of itself and the body.  In fact, your body is the master, not your mind...because your body gets sick and eventually dies, so as your mind.  

A highly accomplished cultivator should know when to die and how to die.  Its mind should never be caught by surprises from the body. 

• Like 1

Everything is interconnected so, of course.

"To the Sage, every moment brings enlightenment" -TTJ

For the OP, it is important to have a healthy body, energetic system for the purpose of sustaining the mind to reach enlightenment.  So, a well connected, freely open chakra system is important.  If not, you would spend your whole life in thinking that your mind is the master of itself and the body.  In fact, your body is the master, not your mind...because your body gets sick and eventually dies, so as your mind.  

A highly accomplished cultivator should know when to die and how to die.  Its mind should never be caught by surprises from the body. 

I would disagree on the half way, since living being has its "roots" on both Yin and Yang sides of existence, material and anti-material/cosmic/spiritual realms. It is like Yin and Yang opposites of each other but never separated, if so life would not exist. I'm pretty sure that when material being dies its soul/mind just flips over to the "other side" of the same coin and exists there for some amount of space, because it is opposite to time whereas we on this side experience time, it goes on. It is only natural for the opposite side to have inversed forces etc. There is third body as well spirit in addition to material body and mind/soul body.

Ego is in charge of protecting the body and is the body. I think it is unnecessary to state that if body gets to die so does the mind because it is not so, or atleast I think so, because if one builds enough of Shen which is conscious energy one can exist on a "higher level" of existence.

Although one can live with chakra system that is "lit up" like a Christmas tree, but has more ailments, gets sick more etc. shorter life span than the one who has every "light" in their correct places.

For one I dont care how and when I die, I just cultivate as much Shen I can for breaking the cycle of reincarnation/incarnation. Or atleast enough to reincarnate and then continue the cultivation process, with sufficient knowledge from current life. Evolution is the meaning of life, from natural point of view. Evolution of conscioussness would be for us humans, since we have evolved from animalistic state to a conscious state, so it is only natural to evolve more.

Good point. My idea was the state of pure mind. A state of no mind, where the individual gains control over their destiny. It is known by some as being reborn into the pure land. 

In my opinion, "opening" of the chakras (purification, raising of their vibrational frequencies etc) is part of meditative/cultivating practices, whether the practitioners are aware of it or not. Much like most meditation methods will create alpha brainwaves, no matter if that terminology is being used.

And particularly significant spiritual experiences ("enlightenments") do often occur in tune with chakra "openings".

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

I would disagree on the half way, since living being has its "roots" on both Yin and Yang sides of existence, material and anti-material/cosmic/spiritual realms. It is like Yin and Yang opposites of each other but never separated, if so life would not exist. I'm pretty sure that when material being dies its soul/mind just flips over to the "other side" of the same coin and exists there for some amount of space, because it is opposite to time whereas we on this side experience time, it goes on. It is only natural for the opposite side to have inversed forces etc. There is third body as well spirit in addition to material body and mind/soul body.

Ego is in charge of protecting the body and is the body. I think it is unnecessary to state that if body gets to die so does the mind because it is not so, or atleast I think so, because if one builds enough of Shen which is conscious energy one can exist on a "higher level" of existence.

Although one can live with chakra system that is "lit up" like a Christmas tree, but has more ailments, gets sick more etc. shorter life span than the one who has every "light" in their correct places.

For one I dont care how and when I die, I just cultivate as much Shen I can for breaking the cycle of reincarnation/incarnation. Or atleast enough to reincarnate and then continue the cultivation process, with sufficient knowledge from current life. Evolution is the meaning of life, from natural point of view. Evolution of conscioussness would be for us humans, since we have evolved from animalistic state to a conscious state, so it is only natural to evolve more.

You only have the luxury of Shen if you are an accomplished cultivator.  Otherwise, your mind is plagued by instincts at the moment of your death bardo experience.  Your rebirth would be solely determined and immediate and caused by your immediate karma.

What you care and what you want is irrelevant because enlightenment does not come just because you care and you want it...:)  

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 1

You only have the luxury of Shen if you are an accomplished cultivator.  Otherwise, your mind is plagued by instincts at the moment of your death bardo experience.  Your rebirth would be solely determined and immediate and caused by your immediate karma.

What you care and what you want is irrelevant because enlightenment does not come just because you care and you want it... :)

Cultivation must be built like physical strength. So I build it as much as I can when I can or keep it up, like I tend to keep up my physical strength to be healthy.

I dont seem to care and want anything, not even enlightenment. I used to when I believed in some New Age religion, for a time, but since then I dont believe in any religion, because they revolve on the same circles over and over again. That same cycle goes for psychedelic drugs as well same "rollercoaster ride" different day, not amusing anymore for me. So I try to find new cycles to get into.

By instinct do you mean animalistic instinct (A natural or inherent impulse or behaviour) or more of an intuitive reaction not based on rational conscious thought?

Cultivation must be built like physical strength. So I build it as much as I can when I can or keep it up, like I tend to keep up my physical strength to be healthy.

I dont seem to care and want anything, not even enlightenment. I used to when I believed in some New Age religion, for a time, but since then I dont believe in any religion, because they revolve on the same circles over and over again. That same cycle goes for psychedelic drugs as well same "rollercoaster ride" different day, not amusing anymore for me. So I try to find new cycles to get into.

By instinct do you mean animalistic instinct (A natural or inherent impulse or behaviour) or more of an intuitive reaction not based on rational conscious thought?

Your life's habitual energy dictated by your life karmas.  Unresolved life issues.  In some brute sense, it can be your animal, sexual instincts.  Supposedly, in your death bardo experiences, your sex instincts become very strong. 

Sign in to follow this