Arya

Stabilizing full-body breathing

I have realized that this is the ONLY practice one needs besides holding different postures like sitting meditation or various stable standing meditations.

So it's basically melding the body with the whole breathe and I don't know the mechanics of it but breathing through the mouth or nose becomes trivial. I am sure most of you all here are quite aware and adept at this.

My question is that what promotes this practice and what deters it?

I have noticed what deters it - violence, intoxicants, afflictive emotions like guilt, shame, anger etc.

But most of all it's mixing sex with violence & anger. This is the number one cause for me at least.

Why I think this is the most important practice?

Because I feel, literally, that it gives more control over various bodily functions and more awareness of them, especially the brain. You can see how mechanical the body is, when even separating spirituality from all of it but emotions are still a mystery to me. The raw energies of them are definitely something mystical. 

Anyways, what do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 2

I was doing it till late night from yesterday but I run into this problem again and again.

The problem is that this practice pools energy unrelentingly at certain parts of the body which then have various aches & pains to them. The middle of the chest and then the middle of the upper back always have a stabbing pain to them. Different type of pain in different areas or sensations, but uncomfortable ones, dull or sharp.

So this pooling of energy effectively halters spreading the breathe awareness throughout the body.

I was standing in the sun today and I think this is the best way to absorb the sun's energy, whatever it is. It's very easy to do.

I close my eyelids and tilt my face upwards towards the sun, exposing the limbs as well and then wherever I feel the 'heat' of the sun, I pull it in with my skin. There's a golden haze when looking with closed eyelids, so I try to absorb the golden haze as well. I don't know if that does anything beneficial. Makes everything in my vision blue though for awhile.

Done this with the moon too and I get surges in the spine and then feel like dancing! But I don't look towards the moon with eyes closed cause it won't harm the eyes I think.

• Like 1

Can you explain the process you are engaging in? Detail?

hello, Ralis and yes, of course!

Back last year I started meditation somewhere at the start of the year, basically for the cognitive benefits it proposed and the cool experiences people reported on various forums. Now I started meditating, paying attention to the breathe through the nostrils at first - it was 'concentration' meditation. Obviously this didn't pay off much at all. It was tiresome and quite boring.

Then I started reading Buddhist texts and watching Buddhist teachings on youtube and the like. I'd have to say the teachings were mostly sub par and quite different from what the sutras actually say.

So the Buddha actually summed up the meditation technique in just a few stanzas - Jhana - and here the meditation teaches were going on about this and that. Whatever...the instructions were simple, precise and clear. So my practice is based off of that premise but meditation isn't optimal whilst living in society so this is a toned down version so you don't become completely aloof.

So the technique is basically suffusing the body with the 'pleasure born from withdrawal' i.e seclusion from the six senses(mind being sixth). Then using the breathe as a medium you implant the idea of relinquishing existence itself and then spread that infused breathe throughout the body. This is a very profound state and it strips away layers of self.

Now what I basically do isn't even Jhana but it takes the idea of suffusing the whole body with the breathe and thus improving cognitive functions, awareness and the like. It's mildly pleasurable in & of itself but not that much. Nothing compared to true absorption. But it's more helpful for living in society. So you abandon the idea of 'pleasure borne from withdrawal' and just maintain body awareness. But this also makes living with yourself very intimate. You can do it all day non-stop whilst doing other activities.

So to suffuse the body with the breathe properly, you need to imagine, feel and integrate the body as one whole unit and I believe this comes naturally to females. Then breathe with the whole of the body, as you practice it, not a single cell will be out of awareness, that is my belief. It will get easier.

You can breathe from different parts of the body as a base, expanding & contracting from that region. The different consciousness of the body will be activate and apparent this way..allowing you to investigate if you will. But what will be most apparent is what parts of your brain activate and 'click' when performing certain actions like memorization, speech, visualization etc.

But you have to be prepared, because this will bring up subconscious tendencies to the surface without mercy, so you need to be very keen, and a strong person to sort them out. Hope this helped!

Edited by Arya
  • Like 1

It's better to put your tongue on the roof of the mouth and drag the sun's energy down.

I don't know if being bald would help with this cause you can just drag it from the top of your skull. The bun hairstyle that awakened beings have now makes sense! But is just to absorb higher cosmic energies? and how high is the sun's energy in this energy chart?

I guess not many people care about this topic

Breath is like a bridge between your conscious mind and your energy body.  The feeling of whole body breathing is one stage in this as the breath becomes linked to qi movement/circulation.  What I think is important is to avoid extremes.  Such as you mention energy pooling in certain parts of the body - this is probably because you are sinking in too much and there are obstructions.  In the full cycle of the breath it will at times be heavy and at other times light - like a feather light touch.

I think its important to keep it simple.  You have to deal with obstructions at all levels - e.g. physical tension. energy blocks (especially at three gates), emotional entanglement, racing thoughts and conceptual confusion - also purity of intent.  However if you think about this too much you will just make it worse.  So always return to just watching breath without any expectations or reaching for a result.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response, Apech and yes I believe there are a lot of factors regarding this process, different types of tensions and obstructions as you said.

But it's also necessary for those who really want to attain higher consciousness. Life is more simpler and serene that way. Obviously, this requires changes in habits and the body is intelligent - it will make obvious for the discerning person, the need to progress, change and adapt if they want more out of the pleasures & joys of living. So in a way the body makes it clear, sometimes harshly that you NEED to change if you want to reward yourself with the best this cosmos can offer. 

But all of it requires discipline and strong intent, so people like myself are unwilling to do the hard work required, even if the rewards are greater and longer-lasting after the effort. 

So for me, I am young, I want to break-through and then I know I will abide pleasantly in this life and the next one(s) depending on the effort. 

As for results, the results are important. You have to strive to the top if you want to have people respect, listen and value you. That way you can help more, being trustworthy. I can't live peacefully if people around me are doing silly harmful things.

The tensions, anxieties and what not reveal to you the areas in which you should be improving.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Arya
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response, Apech and yes I believe there are a lot of factors regarding this process, different types of tensions and obstructions as you said.

But it's also necessary for those who really want to attain higher consciousness. Life is more simpler and serene that way. Obviously, this requires changes in habits and the body is intelligent - it will make obvious for the discerning person, the need to progress, change and adapt if they want more out of the pleasures & joys of living. So in a way the body makes it clear, sometimes harshly that you NEED to change if you want to reward yourself with the best this cosmos can offer. 

But all of it requires discipline and strong intent, so people like myself are unwilling to do the hard work required, even if the rewards are greater and longer-lasting after the effort. 

So for me, I am young, I want to break-through and then I know I will abide pleasantly in this life and the next one(s) depending on the effort. 

As for results, the results are important. You have to strive to the top if you want to have people respect, listen and value you. That way you can help more, being trustworthy. I can't live peacefully if people around me are doing silly harmful things.

The tensions, anxieties and what not reveal to you the areas in which you should be improving.

As you say - the body is intelligent - I think that is a good observation.

Of course you want a break through this is natural.  I have always found that breakthroughs come at the end of striving.  It's normal to strive and try hard to change - but it's when you exhaust that and kind of, give up, relax into the centre that break through comes.  I think the trick is to practice diligently but remove expectation - because expectation means you are always looking out for signs and results.  Often something starts to happen and your mind goes 'wow!' and then because of this it stops.  It's difficult to negotiate this kind of thing.

• Like 4

Don't want to make you feel bad, but it looks like too much imagination going on, and assumptions follow. At best it can just lead to inpropper oppening and energy movement through the wrong channel. Maybe some revealing of energy going on from some chakras, so they give temporary effects that looks pleasurable and cool, but leads to nowhere.

The back is a point that can be related to different kinds of fear. we usually contract our upper back area when we are afraid or in dangers of any sort, even psychollogical. transcending subconscious mind leads through different fears also.... and it is the first thing to do, the best way with a teacher that can show the oppening of it...

Edited by Kubba

That's fine, it may all just be imagination on my part. Thanks for responding.

Don't want to make you feel bad

I have realized that this is the ONLY practice one needs besides holding different postures like sitting meditation or various stable standing meditations.

So it's basically melding the body with the whole breathe and I don't know the mechanics of it but breathing through the mouth or nose becomes trivial. I am sure most of you all here are quite aware and adept at this.

One one level Breath is respiration with the lungs , then embryonic breath is   when respiration ceases and the body is  nourished through the pores of the skin- this as you know is  prenatal breathing or  the breathing of  the unborn and on another level a  a BREATH is  a circulation  a spontaneous expression of the  Original Spirit " practicing" your body without the presence of  your linear or intuitive mind directing  the flow or  "breath" of the jing, essence, qi, blood etc .  yin/ yang  interactions and subsequent transformations naturally occur.It feels like being breathed instead of  actively controlling ones breath.  One such  "breath is described here   http://thedaobums.com/topic/39151-riding-the-phoenix-to-penglai-poems-of-sun-bu-er/

When I have enter the state of Xian and go deeper into the  Void all normal brain activity stops in terms of  thinking about what to do. My minds job is to surrender to my Authentic Self, the Original Spirit and observe only. Then the Shen has the freedom to practice unobstructed in my body between heaven and  earth. It feels to me as though the  template for the  circulation exists in the eternal and I  have relaxed  my humanity sufficiently that eternity may then express  itself in the born world. 

• Like 2

Its interesting that no matter where you concentrate in the body, you are really concentrating in a specified area in the pre-motor and motor cortex(es)...so, its all mind. I can create the sensation of breathing through any part of my body, as if air is passing to/from it. I know that when focusing on the associated pre-motor/motor cortex areas, energy goes there through the efferent nervous system, and likely increases metabolic processes in that area, as well as afferent consciousness. I just was researching to what extent O2/CO2 exchange occurs in the integumentary layer, and its 1-2% standard, but then I wondered what it might be if focus is brought upon a certain area....the state of having almost no obvious inhalation/exhalation while meditating, combined with supersensual awareness, makes me think that integumentary respiration may be increased significantly when relaxing the myofascial/meridian systems...

• Like 2

Your post is why I love being on the Daobums forum. I get to have someone explain in detail all the  science  stuff that I need to know for my classes and to satisfy my intellectual curiosity but am too  busy to  do more research  beyond class requirements.  

Me you say? I am about simple in my practices My scientific method is studying my  practice  energy flows . I devoted months to stabilizing the xuan state so I could  enter and exit at will.

Once the  gate of Xuan is free to  pass then  the void is not far, nothing is far everything become so close and  spontaneous.

I am focused by  something already there. I  suspend all  though and use my mind to  take  cross section snap shots to quickly store and forget in the moment. Then after practice I examine. Then to  figure out what all those stored snapshot mean.  And  then what happens you say? Then I get an email  from daobum where someone has explained what I wanted to know. I LOVE this forum ! Thank you for you brilliant words/mind and time in researching.   :D

Edited by quantumdragon
  • Like 1

It's come to my notice that you really need a surplus of vitality to get this breathe going, so ejaculations are a no-no. 

Well whatever, I can do this when I get older.

I have been getting stuck in the 'penis' consciousness too much by doing this lately where my penis just overrides all thought processes and wants to come out and play. It's a nightmare.

But at least I know now what meditation, cultivation and everything actually is.

It's just too much, I have been getting erections unrelentingly these days. 

Another thing I've noticed that breathing this way turns you into sex-mode i.e. your body is like when you are having sex. The body contorts and glitters when having sex, priming up your genetic potential. Next time you are having sex, get up and look at the mirror - you will look more handsome or beautiful than you actually are normally. So this explains the leg shaking and weird behavior everyone has around me when I cultivate this breathing. You are permanently HORNY, 24/7.

But this breathing protects you from nearly everything - fear, anxiety, cold, heat, wind, sun, rain, disease etc etc...

and it makes the body extremely supple but muscular at the same time. The whole mind-body connection reaches its peak so you are probably primed enough to be a super hero when the time comes.

Oh ok, what does that is breathing through the navel with enough energy stored up. That sends currents of energy all over the body, tranquilizing it.

So if you don't want to use your stored energy then don't breathe through the navel...

It's come to my notice that you really need a surplus of vitality to get this breathe going, so ejaculations are a no-no. 

Well whatever, I can do this when I get older.

I have been getting stuck in the 'penis' consciousness too much by doing this lately where my penis just overrides all thought processes and wants to come out and play. It's a nightmare.

But at least I know now what meditation, cultivation and everything actually is.

It's just too much, I have been getting erections unrelentingly these days. 

Another thing I've noticed that breathing this way turns you into sex-mode i.e. your body is like when you are having sex. The body contorts and glitters when having sex, priming up your genetic potential. Next time you are having sex, get up and look at the mirror - you will look more handsome or beautiful than you actually are normally. So this explains the leg shaking and weird behavior everyone has around me when I cultivate this breathing. You are permanently HORNY, 24/7.

Just do regular practice.  Make it a routine.  Don't think about it so much.  Just do it.  

• Like 1

Just do regular practice.  Make it a routine.  Don't think about it so much.  Just do it.  

Yeah, you're right. I still haven't decided a practice except this one.

I can do this without stop all day and it gets easier when you get a feel for the whole body.

Yeah, it's pretty much established now, I have gone a few days without ejaculation. It's getting easier to establish now, less days it takes after an ejaculation.

SO it's level 1 stage of whole-body breathe and how far cann I take it? Too much has females eyeing and chasing me, and guys acting wierd. So have to find a balance to this, that's all.

• Like 1

Yes, females will be naturally attracted to you, if your practice is correct.  You sound young; so I have to congratulate you for taking up some good practices that you have mentioned before.  What you are calling as "full body breathing"  brings you into a form of awareness of the whole body.  As you stay longer with this practice (or being simply aware of your breathing),  slowly and steadily  your  energy will reach higher forms, as you have witnessed already.  Your mention of  heightened penis awareness and higher sexual drive  could be due to your age.  If you want to progress further into higher levels,  you need to be able to break contact with any type of stimulation  that  will trigger  sexual thoughts.   These are hard to do,  if you are a young man who is NOT a monk.   Ejaculations will stop,  over time,  if you learn  to practice  proper  "Sila" (even in thoughts).  Do not feel dejected,  because this is a PATH that pays dividends over years/decades.  The longer you stick to these practices & path,  the better off your life will be in all aspects.  As you said,  balance is the key (for us, laymen).

• Like 2

ahh, so I forgot how to do it properly but I've done it before. I remember why I forgot.

A girl who came to the park I went to, probably around 13 or 14 sucked all my energy in and then I forgot but that was the limit I reached when I was doing it constantly.

So it was dragging in energy right from the soles of my feet on the inhale, which is the 'feminine' energy and then letting the 'masculine' energy wash all over me from the top of the head on the exhale.

So I had mustered up all of the 'masculine' energy and then the girl sucked in from across the park, not even in near me. But I think I gave it to her and then my whole body was filled with the 'feminine' energy, top to bottom.

So this is the way to properly establish whole-body breathing I think, pulling from below and then pushing from above.

I read in an occult book once that the penis is magnetic in quality so yeah, we guys can PULL in female energy and then give them back ours. I think this is the way to multiple male orgasms during the act of sex. But you have to do this cosmic(?) breathing constantly and make it natural. I am not aware of any ill-effects as of yet, except heat and pain in different parts of the body. I hope it goes well for you/

Edited by Arya

ahh, so I forgot how to do it properly but I've done it before. I remember why I forgot.

A girl who came to the park I went to, probably around 13 or 14 sucked all my energy in and then I forgot but that was the limit I reached when I was doing it constantly.

So it was dragging in energy right from the soles of my feet on the inhale, which is the 'feminine' energy and then letting the 'masculine' energy wash all over me from the top of the head on the exhale.

So I had mustered up all of the 'masculine' energy and then the girl sucked in from across the park, not even in near me. But I think I gave it to her and then my whole body was filled with the 'feminine' energy, top to bottom.

So this is the way to properly establish whole-body breathing I think, pulling from below and then pushing from above.

I read in an occult book once that the penis is magnetic in quality so yeah, we guys can PULL in female energy and then give them back ours. I think this is the way to multiple male orgasms during the act of sex. But you have to do this cosmic(?) breathing constantly and make it natural. I am not aware of any ill-effects as of yet, except heat and pain in different parts of the body. I hope it goes well for you/

Arya, in my honest opinion I think you need to get a hold of your sexual emotions, you are obviously eye-ing up everyone you can by the sounds of it, which will be increasing your amount of semen rather than utilising that energy for more productive or creative endeavors...

Also considering you are 22 years old and seem to have been basically having sexual thoughts/energetic exchange with a 13 or 14 year old is a bit concerning.

IMO you should keep on the no ejaculating, make sure you are not watching porn or becoming sexually stimulated, and hopefully your energy should flow into more beneficial areas and you will not be so twitchy/revved up.