Synchronic

Right hand usually cold and with poor circulation - feeling of tightness/tension in right elbow also.

Hi there guys

Just seeing if anyone could give me some hints about ways I might be able to sort this issue I've had for a few years out (seems more pronounced in the last 6 months, probably just because I am more intune with my body and areas of tension/relaxation etc...)

I'm a guitarist of 11 years or so, as well as doing a lot of game design/film making stuff, as well as playing computer games (mainly mouse + keyboard) quite a bit (not as much as when I was a child haha). I also cycle quite reguarly.

All in all I am probably using my hands and wrists for about 3/4 - 4/5 of my waking time.

My only problem is that my right hand seems to almost always suffer a lack of circulation and a coldness compared to my left hand, this is relieved by being in a very warm room, and after "warming" up for quite some time on my instrument or whatever, but sometime it never really "warms up" and I just get stiffness.

The elbow tension seems to be related to this also, it's just a slight tightness/achy feeling right in the centre of the elbow, slight "burning" sensation sometimes also... It's nothing too severe, but I know that it could lead to more serious conditions that might affect my activities/performance quality etc...

I'm thinking this could be related to some sort of energy blockage? Perhaps some accupressure + massage + stretches could help me out, along with a diet more inclined to "warming" or circulation enhancing foods?

I am going along this path anyway but would like to see if anyone has any more specific knowledge about this sort of condition.

Thanks very much, take care!

Is it rainaulds ?( sorry, don't know the spelling). I'm in the same boat and need heated gloves for cool conditions. The right hand is furthest from the heart which is why it is colder than the left. I don't know about natural cures, but the gloves certainly are a practical help. At one time a few years back I was taking guitar lessons and during winter I would have to cancel, as it took so long to get my right hand functioning, it was a wasted hour.

• Like 1

Maybe you have kidney yang deficiency

Hi yes I think that might be the case along with possible Liver yang deficiency.

Being a (metal) sheep/ram this seems to be quite common, as well as having a weak stomach.

Cannabis and good beer seem to help during the short-term, but I think in the long term they perhaps excuberate the condition.

I've recently cut down drastically on both which I think is partly why I am noticing the tension more now. I'll looking into sorting out my kidney/liver yang deficiency (something which it seems cannabis can cause).

@Karl

Thanks for the comment, I'm fairly sure it's not such a serious condition, as it would not hinder me if not for the guitar playing, heated gloves would certainly be useful if neccessary. But ideally I hope to sort it out naturally which I'm sure can be done with the right combination of diet and exercise/massage/stretches etc... (many guitarists in their 40s, 50s, and 60s are now using heatpads on their arms/wrists as a result of either a similar condition to what we are experiencing, or also tendonitis/joint injuries from incorrect/bad technique).

Thanks for the help guys, will update this thread every now and then after I have tried some combination therapies.

Hi yes I think that might be the case along with possible Liver yang deficiency.

Being a (metal) sheep/ram this seems to be quite common, as well as having a weak stomach.

Cannabis and good beer seem to help during the short-term, but I think in the long term they perhaps excuberate the condition.

I've recently cut down drastically on both which I think is partly why I am noticing the tension more now. I'll looking into sorting out my kidney/liver yang deficiency (something which it seems cannabis can cause).

@Karl

Thanks for the comment, I'm fairly sure it's not such a serious condition, as it would not hinder me if not for the guitar playing, heated gloves would certainly be useful if neccessary. But ideally I hope to sort it out naturally which I'm sure can be done with the right combination of diet and exercise/massage/stretches etc... (many guitarists in their 40s, 50s, and 60s are now using heatpads on their arms/wrists as a result of either a similar condition to what we are experiencing, or also tendonitis/joint injuries from incorrect/bad technique).

Thanks for the help guys, will update this thread every now and then after I have tried some combination therapies.

If you discover a successful natural cure there are millions of people desperate to know about it. I don't have full on rheinaulds, but I feel a lot of pain during colder conditions, in fact I won't ride my motorcycle if temperatures are lower than 12 degrees as it is painful and unsafe.

On a secondary note, excuse the pun, musical instruments really are a pain in the neck......hands, back, feet, fingers :-) I play drums and have had many minor ailments which age has not helped. Recovery is longer and a lot of warm up time, gentle practice and accurate seat up are now crucial to avoid long bouts of pain.

• Like 1

I'm thinking as a guy who does game design you're on the computer daily.   Using a mouse quite a bit.  That can put your arm, hand, wrist and fingers in an unnatural position as well as cause repetitive injury through over use or continual pressure in the wrong spot.  Long term it can cause problems.   I know my wrist and arms give me problems on days I do long writing.  I'll try to shake my arm out after each long use. 

If that indeed is the problem then possible solutions would be moving the mouse to the other hand or positioning it in a more ergonomic way.  You can also turn your phone or pad into a cordless mouse and keep it lower on your lap in comfortable neutral position.  In extreme cases writers have started using voice commands instead of the usual mouse interaction.

• Like 2

You need to go to gym or start running so that you increase the heart activity. A

So you can use warming spices in your food, either in cooked food, salads or teas: cinnamon, ginger, garlic, star anise, cloves, black pepper, turmeric, chilli, cayenne or even habanero pepper.

• Like 1

You need to go to gym or start running so that you increase the heart activity. A

So you can use warming spices in your food, either in cooked food, salads or teas: cinnamon, ginger, garlic, star anise, cloves, black pepper, turmeric, chilli, cayenne or even habanero pepper.

They say that hot spices help circulation and lower blood pressure. Also to stay off carbs and eat healthy fats like avocado and eggs. Thinking about the gym, I think weights helped as did losing a stone of fat-as long as that isn't achieved by starvation, poor diet and over training which makes things worse.

• Like 2

Hi there guys

Just seeing if anyone could give me some hints about ways I might be able to sort this issue I've had for a few years out (seems more pronounced in the last 6 months, probably just because I am more intune with my body and areas of tension/relaxation etc...)

I'm a guitarist of 11 years or so, as well as doing a lot of game design/film making stuff, as well as playing computer games (mainly mouse + keyboard) quite a bit (not as much as when I was a child haha). I also cycle quite reguarly.

All in all I am probably using my hands and wrists for about 3/4 - 4/5 of my waking time.

My only problem is that my right hand seems to almost always suffer a lack of circulation and a coldness compared to my left hand, this is relieved by being in a very warm room, and after "warming" up for quite some time on my instrument or whatever, but sometime it never really "warms up" and I just get stiffness.

The elbow tension seems to be related to this also, it's just a slight tightness/achy feeling right in the centre of the elbow, slight "burning" sensation sometimes also... It's nothing too severe, but I know that it could lead to more serious conditions that might affect my activities/performance quality etc...

I'm thinking this could be related to some sort of energy blockage? Perhaps some accupressure + massage + stretches could help me out, along with a diet more inclined to "warming" or circulation enhancing foods?

I am going along this path anyway but would like to see if anyone has any more specific knowledge about this sort of condition.

Thanks very much, take care!

If your Trapezius, and/or the middle of your back between shoulder blades is sore/tight, you might have a subluxation in thoracic spine.... nerve impingement

Chiropractor can get that right out

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your comments guys, a lot of useful advice!

I've already started using more "warming" type foods and spices and it seems to be helping quite a lot actually, especially when the foods/spices are anti-inflamatory in nature too (like ginger and cloves, cinnamon etc...).

Yes I think i should definitely get back into working out, I used to go to the gym 3 days a week so I might start doing that again if only for 25-30minutes a time.

Also yes it is unfortunate that I do have to use a mouse a lot, because I do all my music recording at my computer as well, it means I am pretty much using a mouse for upto 8-10 hours a day. I will probably look into getting a specially designed ergonomic mouse for any non-video gaming needs.

Thanks SOTG, my shoulders and upper bach areas are pretty decent at the moment, but I will definitely keep track of any tension in that area to stop anything from developing.

Diet is good, mostly healthy fats followed by protein then minimal carbs, looking at almost eliminating carbs in the near future though so that might help more as well (definitely improved my productivity and energy levels.) I have sort of accidently been eating more "cooling" foods such as raw salads as it is growing quite abundently in my mums garden at the moment, I think I will have to balance it out by adding more black pepper and other warming spices.

Thanks very much again! This site is full of great insights and information.

Edited by Synchronic
  • Like 1

I'm going to agree with SOTG...it is likely a physical blockage related to the postures needed for the various things you do, and it's likely stemming from the trunk of your body (spine, shoulder...affecting elbow, and finally the hand). I don't think it's kidney yang deficiency at all, or related to your diet (which hopefully has 1/3 carbs 1/3 protein, 1/3 fats, if you want to be healthy). No need to eat a bunch of warm food and spices and avoid cold raw food, by any means...in my opinion.

I'd either go to a chiropractor, or someone that specializes in muscle energy technique.

• Like 2

I'm going to agree with SOTG...it is likely a physical blockage related to the postures needed for the various things you do, and it's likely stemming from the trunk of your body (spine, shoulder...affecting elbow, and finally the hand). I don't think it's kidney yang deficiency at all, or related to your diet (which hopefully has 1/3 carbs 1/3 protein, 1/3 fats, if you want to be healthy). No need to eat a bunch of warm food and spices and avoid cold raw food, by any means...in my opinion.

I'd either go to a chiropractor, or someone that specializes in muscle energy technique.

Thanks, you may be right, although I think I may have given myself slight kidney+liver yang deficiencies through years of quite excessive daily cannabis use and beer/ale consumption. Which I have now gotten under wraps and only indulge very occasionally rather than multiple times daily.

I've started doing more stretches and the like, I think my elbow pain/inflammation is "golfer's elbow" from too much computer use + guitar, cycling while standing (putting pressure on flexed wrists) etc...

Eating more "warming" foods has definitely helped my circulation though which I think will aid in any recovery and prevention of re-occurrence/progressing into a worsened state.

Thanks for the help guys

I think I may have given myself slight kidney+liver yang deficiencies

It may be true, especially with the Kidney, that there is deficiency (the same can be said for basically any person)...but in terms of using Chinese Medicine pattern diagnosis, one has to take a look at the whole picture. Use all 4 pillars of diagnosis, don't discount any signs or symptoms...then a certain pattern will be most predominant, and despite having some Kidney deficiency, the predominant pattern would be the one that needs addressing. When you treat the predominant issue, then other issues are benefited...the Kidney becomes less drained when the whole system is functioning more efficiently. Getting a correct diagnosis really requires seeing a Chinese medicine practitioner. Just my view, for your info!

• Like 1

I recommend you to try this set, it is the best for dynamic stretching in my opinion. And also one of the best for kidney whatever deficiency or any other organ.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, great advice from both of you. Today is probably the least my right elbow has felt sore or inflammed in quite a few weeks, so I am so grateful for everyones input!

Thank you, take care!

• Like 1