DreamBliss

A Working Theory About Beliefs and Reality

Recently some things were said in a recent thread of mine that really threw me for a loop. I was all set to reply, then decided not to. Now I am trying to work it out, work through it. I thought I would share what I have so far and see what happens from there.

Theory

Everything I experience is exactly the way I believe it to be.

- Source does not speak through anyone unless I believe it does.

Most likely what I will hear will be my own fears and doubts reflected back at me.

- Source does not warn through circumstances or people.

Things happen or do not happen, people say things or not, and it is only my belief and perception that causes me to take these as a warning. Warnings are given by humans primarily out of fear, out of a desire motivated by fear (usually disguised as caring or love) to change behavior. That is conditional love, based on the idea that I will be happy or feel better if...

Source doesn't issue warnings. Source does not criticize, judge or love conditionally.

- It is only because I believe and/or desire at some level that I need to be directed, guided or warned that I receive guidance, direction and warning.

I receive these exactly the way I believe they will be received. If I believe it will come from others, then that is from where it will come. If I believe it will come from my gut, heart or intuition, then that is from where it will come.

- There are no rules by which the Universe operates.

Everything is based on belief (subjective?) Gravity only works because people believe in it. People used to believe the world was flat. How many ships were lost at sea or wrecked beyond what humanity collectively believe to be the edges of the world? More than now certainly, can argue technology, but probably less ships were lost or wrecked before the collectively believed edge of the world.

- Source is abundance, constantly and consistently.

You believe you will receive direction and guidance from others, that you need it, so you get direction and guidance from others. You believe Source warns you through circumstances or people, so things will happen and people will say things that you will interpret to be a warning. Deep down you are looking for a reason not to do something, a way out, that is what you are asking about, and that is what you get. You get whatever you ask for, whether you want it or not (Abraham.)

- What it boils down to is that you are on your own, to create your life experience, whether you are aware of it or not, whether you consciously create or unconsciously react.

Whatever you believe to be true will be true for you. Whatever it is you are really asking for, whatever is at the root of any request, that is what Source constantly and consistently provides. The way your life is experienced is completely and totally up to you.

- The only way the beliefs of others can affect you is if you buy into them and believe them yourself.

You are only ever bound only by your own beliefs, as long as you choose to be so bound.

Example

When I see a tree branch or trunk at night all I can see with my physical eyes is a flat black line. Yet to me it seems rounded. Why is that? There are no graduations or anything that would lead the eye.

When I see it as rounded, I am not seeing it as it is to my physical sight. I am seeing what I expect, based on what I know or remember, that branches and trunks are round. That means what I see is through what I believe, expect, know or remember, not through my eyes. What I see is what I believe or expect to see, based on what I know or remember, imposed on what is.

In the same way I do not interact with "reality" directly. I interact with what I believe and expect "reality" to be, based on what I know or remember.

"Reality" tells me that I can not walk on water. I know this because when I enter water I always sink. But water can kill someone jumping into it from a great height. To them instead of merely sinking into it they slam into a surface very much like concrete. If I have studied physics I can spout a bunch of stuff that tells why this is.

But when the filters of what I believe and expect are stripped away, I see that the water has in it the potential to be solid (ice) semi-solid (the physical body) or non-solid (air.) It has the potential of many different states within it. If I knew how to access those states on a moment-by-moment basis, I could create solid water under my feet that I could walk on.

However as long as I believe and expect the water to be experienced as a liquid I would sink into the moment I step onto it, that is what water will be. I do not experience the water as it is. I experience my belief and expectations about the water, based on what I know or remember.

When I attempt to walk on water, I am not really interacting with the water at all, only my beliefs and expectations about it!

Thoughts

When someone said something in that thread I mentioned and it threw me for a loop, I entered into a time of depression. Because if I am solely responsible for my life and my experience of the world, then there are no rules that, once finally discovered, figured out and understood, I can create the life I wish to experience.

I thought I had to uncover the truth about reality, to unlock that mystery, because once I knew the rules, I would know exactly the process of creating my own life. But if there are no rules, if I am, consciously aware of it or not, creating my life and my experience of the world on a moment-by-moment basis, well that just seemed too big. Too much. Too difficult. Too hard.

It overwhelmed me. But I am coming back out of it now. Because as heavy as it sounded initially, there is hope in it. If there are no rules, if my life and experience in the world is nothing more than what I believe it will be, if nobody's beliefs can affect me the slightest unless I let them, if I am in full control, then I can create the life I want to experience right now. There is nothing stopping me.

I now understand one way to do this, how to get into that feeling place of whatever desire I wish to manifest. Of course this will only work if I believe it will, assuming the conclusions I have drawn are valid. I just acknowledge my action reality, what appears to be reality right now, what I am experiencing in this moment. Then I choose my emotive reality, what I choose to feel right now, in this moment. I just have to choose what feels good.

I do not think, or maybe do not believe, that the change will be instantaneous. If I were to go to the lake with the action reality of sinking if I attempted to walk on water and the emotive reality of how amazing it would feel to walk on its surface, I would probably still sink. It would seem to prove all the science that says humans can't walk on water.

But my guess I would sink because somewhere in me, at some level, I believe and expect I will. Until I have no such beliefs or expectations I can not walk on water. Even when such beliefs and expectations are thrown out, if I were walking around on a violent sea, they may come back, and down I would go.

So for now at least walking on water is probably not something I can do. But I can do smaller things, take smaller steps, practicing this theory, and see where it leads. It is one way to allow Source to manifest into my life experience the things I desire. For now I will make this my practice and see what happens.

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 2

What would be so bad about things being exactly what they are Dream Bliss ?

I shall stay away from pontification as it wouldn't be helpful. Where you are is quite a fragile place and is on the edge of 'everything is subjective'. I would suggest that you should do a lot of grounding activity at this point. Walking, gardening or whatever. Cut back on practices or stop all together. The universe can come back in gradually and you can spend your time at a lower state of subjectivity. At this stage it is habitual to fly off into the world of Neti Neti and it's unpleasant and depressing-as you have found. You will hit the buffers many times, but as long as you ground and self pace the practices you can keep at state of equilibrium.

Relax it isn't a race. :-)

Edited by Karl

Dreambliss,

You talk of a confusion between two very different worldviews:

1) That the world operates according to its ow set of rules and laws.  The task of life is to figure these out and adapt ourselves to them.

2) The rules and laws of the world are created by our own beliefs.  The aim of life is to see and believe that this is true.  Only then will the world be a fun and reawrding place to live.

Nearly everyone believes in both these views at different times.  Or, we may say that worldview is 2 is the truth, while behave as if it is number 1.  

Most people are born into worldview 1 and then discover 2 as a revelation.  For a few it is the other way round.

Wisdom and contentment will only come when you see that both are false.  Or, to put it another way, when you see that any given event can easily be explained according to either worldview.

These worldviews only come about because of our need to manipulate life according to our desires.  We need an overall theory.  Drop the theory and live life directly.  Rather than think about the way things operate.  Feel each moment operating inside yourself. To do this is intrinsically rewarding and is the basis for a happy, contented, interesting, surprising and sometimes miraculaous existence.

• Like 1

It seems to be as you said. Really.

The world around you is exactly the way as you see it.

Primary there is this ocean of things sounds and whatsoever, and you assume that this and that is cause of this and that, and this and that means this and that, youre kind of merged into these beliefes and aare not even aware, cause they are subconcious. Tracking them back can bring you to their roots and dissolve them.

Youre interpretation of facts happends before you think about it, and our thinking process arise out of your precognitions about the world, and thats your whole paradigm.

THere are as they call it carmic seeds imprinted in your psyche, and your life will goes according to what you are looking for, and you will get the answer to all questions sooner or later. They call it the weel of samsara. SO in this interpretation the world you see and the way you interprete it is totally psychological and made up as Adi Da said:). You will be putted in places and enviroments that you deeply believe you need to, there is no other choice.

What triggers your fears are only the things that you were conditioned to be afraid of, but it triggers your whole body to function according to that reactions, including hormonal responces and God knows whats more, and your mind serves the best as it can to keep yor paradigm as real for you  :), you have your tendencies, you organise your life the way to look for things and objects that you find important for you. It is a kind of mechanic, and there is no single movement or thought that  are out of this law, you preceive things in your field of seing, and the choices are made before you think about what to choose. But also something brought you here so it is a good part, hehe.

Experiences are as they are, but when the relative agent rises from the mind it gives the power to interpreattions, assumptions, fears, emotional reactions, suffer, cause things arise acording to what it desires or no, but alwas it is exactly what  your are looking for.... even if it is not pretty. Budda said that there are 3 reassons of suffer - the desire of becoming, the desire of destroying yourself, and the desire for sensory-pleasure.

Underneeth all this psychological structures lies the pure knowledge how to exist in this word and it is given and accesible if you dare to know.

objects are born and dies to its own laws of metamorphosis and it can be understood and does not come out of our beliefs but out of  the primal inteligence that we all are equiped with.

Edited by Kubba
  • Like 1

Some of what you've said here indicates a huge breakthrough in your thinking. Other parts are iterations of your old beliefs.

I think there are two new things to question here:

1) Why believe in source anyway? The concept of source, creator, god, spirit, or whatever else, was an hallucination we collectively designed to explain things that are not in control. When you make a religion or a spirituality of it, you willfully assign power to that unperceivable-unknown and look to it for navigation. It is a deferment of full and total responsibility for your life to something "higher" - but perhaps there are no highs and lows - perhaps spirit and matter are polarities of the psyche, not of reality. I suggest looking for spirit in observable systems, not in etheric and supradimensional thinking. Look for your simple powers - the power of observation, the power of discernment, the power of hormones, the power of digestion - those are your strength and completeness. Act out of those. Give God the finger and proceed with your life as a creator. There is so much to achieve once you really know yourself, but not for a purpose, and not by any law that is higher than the law of your skin and bones and flesh. Don't look so much for the strange magics of the world. You will find them and learn that they have no purpose - there is a lawful and reliable order to the world that is purposeful and simple. Your body is designed to discern it.

When I see it as rounded, I am not seeing it as it is to my physical sight. I am seeing what I expect, based on what I know or remember, that branches and trunks are round. That means what I see is through what I believe, expect, know or remember, not through my eyes. What I see is what I believe or expect to see, based on what I know or remember, imposed on what is.

In the same way I do not interact with "reality" directly. I interact with what I believe and expect "reality" to be, based on what I know or remember.

2) Are you shaping your world, or has evolution shaped your nervous system in the way that best enables it to predict and respond to real information. i.e. the branch in the dark doesn't look like a branch, but you know it is. Why? Because your brain draws on memory to ascertain reality. Cats are quite the opposite. So are babies. They respond to things on the level of pure sensation. That's why cats will chase around a laser or become transfixed by a moving shadow - they don't draw on previous experiences like we do to determine "is this really something I can catch?" Another good example: why does "attractive female" look like attractive female to you? This is the harmony of your various systems (reproductive, limbic, endocrine, occipital) co-operating and revealing the world as evolution would have you see it - why? Survival and propagation. That's all - find the joy in reality and all will be solved.

Edited by Yasjua

Yasjua

To answer your question, all that I am prepared to say at this moment, is that if there is no intelligent energy from which everything derives, I.E. Source, then I am nothing more than a chunk of feces in the fart cloud of the Universe.

In other words, if we are all simply products of random chance and evolution, there is absolutely no point in living at all. If there is no purpose or reason, there is no point, as far as I am concerned.

The only thing that keeps me going is the empowering (to me) knowledge that I am an individual manifestation of that originating energy, I.E. Source, and I can create the life experience I desire through my beliefs.

Otherwise I am powerless to change anything, I am nothing more than a scrap of flotsam on an infinite roiling sea, tossed about on the waves.

I have shared this sentiment before, even used some of these same words. My feelings have not changed in this regard.

Yasjua

To answer your question, all that I am prepared to say at this moment, is that if there is no intelligent energy from which everything derives, I.E. Source, then I am nothing more than a chunk of feces in the fart cloud of the Universe.

In other words, if we are all simply products of random chance and evolution, there is absolutely no point in living at all. If there is no purpose or reason, there is no point, as far as I am concerned.

The only thing that keeps me going is the empowering (to me) knowledge that I am an individual manifestation of that originating energy, I.E. Source, and I can create the life experience I desire through my beliefs.

Otherwise I am powerless to change anything, I am nothing more than a scrap of flotsam on an infinite roiling sea, tossed about on the waves.

I have shared this sentiment before, even used some of these same words. My feelings have not changed in this regard.

Although it may not seem obvious to you, your inwillingness to accept it is a tacit acceptance that it might be true.  In most conventional understanding, the two perspectives (I am source vs I am not) are split: we imagine that we have powers in some areas, but are powerlessness in others.

Those who have intellectual integrity, that is, philosophical types, attempt to unite this rather contradictory explanation into an overall, integrated worldview.  There are two variations:

1) I am infinitely powerful, and the task of life is to believe and then see the evidence that this true.

2) I have no powers and need none.  I can relax entirely into the flow of events, and there I shall find my peace.

The trouble is, when we consciously subscribe to one of these, we unconsciously accept that the other might be true. We need to deny what might be the case. Over time, as it starts to become obvious that our life is still not wonderfull and perfect, we start to doubt the position we have taken.  It is perfectly possible that this may result in 180 degree flip to the other side.  I call this penduluming, and most seekers have done this at one point or other.

The solution is to cease trying to understand reality by either 1 or 2.  They are both intellectual in nature, and the intellect is dualistic.  When we positively affirm, we unconsciously affirm the opposite.

It is absolutely crucial to find an alternative to the intellect.  The answer is a felt state of inner comfort which we are always in and which gives us the peace and confidence to use the intellect as it should be used.  We no longer need to know the truth, no longer need ot defend the truth, no longer need to be consistent.  We can be whimsical, irrational, paradoxical. This is how wisdom should be.  The person that loves the truth has no choice but to be the fool.

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 2

Yasjua

You are experiencing the universe, conscious of it. To be so blessed should not be discarded.

[...] if there is no intelligent energy from which everything derives, I.E. Source, then I am nothing more than a chunk of feces in the fart cloud of the Universe.

In other words, if we are all simply products of random chance and evolution, there is absolutely no point in living at all. If there is no purpose or reason, there is no point, as far as I am concerned.[...]

Alternative view - we are all part of a tremendous, elegant interconnected system in which everything and everyone has equal status as a product of the natural (which isn't synonymous with 'material') process taking its course. We choose our actions to benefit those/that which we are connected to, regardless of whether or not there's an objective purpose to it.

If there were an intelligent Absolute overarching this process of existence, we would be insignificant as puppets of a scheme we can't understand, and it would make our actions and morality meaningless because harmful action would be part of the plan just as much as compassionate action.

I think a product of chance consciously choosing compassion and wisdom is much more meaningful than a product of the Absolute doing whatever the Absolute made it to do.

Edited by Seeker of Wisdom
  • Like 3

Yasjua

High five DreamBliss,

We are born of stardust,compressed together forming earth.

Given life by our mother and father planet earth.

So yes,we are individual manifestations of that originating energy.

The consciousness of our planet.

Yes we create our life experiences through our beliefs.

All good so far.

Mum and Dad,ie planet earth aren't doing so well.

This is our space ship,it is part of us all,we should be concerned.

It is our home.

Apologies DreamBliss,gone off topic.

In the absence of true knowing, we might as well pick a paradigm that empowers us.  I like Seek of Wisdom's. 

We don't even have to pick one.  In the end, life is about the decisions we make, the actions we take and the legacy we leave.  Not which end of the egg we crack open first. 

• Like 1

^ Nice quote, what exactly is the Pronoia?

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

I do agree that our subconscious beliefs determine what we (subconsciously) choose to experience. Although I wonder about near-universal phenomena like gravity? I was still subject to gravity even as a baby - so does that mean I already subconsciously believed in it by birth?

How many subconscious beliefs does a newborn really have? And where do they come from, if so?

And if some phenomena are based upon collective subconscious beliefs, when exactly did we opt-in to those, and how can we opt-out?

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

Belief is synonymous for delusion. 

Humans seeking outward Truth will find only delusion.  Truth inherently can not be contained nor expressed in words, which are arrangements of human delusion constructs. 

Only the perception of Now is reality, everything aside from perception of Now is only an elaborate illusion.

Wisdom is when you recognize there was never a thing capable of being known.

Our perception is so  limited, we lack even the ability to detect if we are simply dreaming this whole state we call 'physical reality'.  

With Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Our perception is so  limited, we lack even the ability to detect if we are simply dreaming this whole state we call 'physical reality'. 

Diary Entry # 17,365

Woke up, opened eyes.  Peed.  Searched for food.

For the 17,365th time

despite disagreeing and disproving of it,

physical reality still here. 

• Like 4

WOW! I have received, and gratefully accepted, an abundance of viewpoints! While I do not initially like Seeker of Wisdom's, it is an interesting point of view, so I am going to have to be with that for a while.

Good questions from gendao. I have no answers, only guesses. My best guess is that the child developing in the womb experiences reality through its mother. For some reason babies can't swim either, yet they have been immersed in fluids for almost a year. To swim they have to learn how. So some sort of change is occurring between exiting the womb and entering the world.

Following the teachings of Abraham and others it would seem that a baby is the individual manifestation of some aspect of Source that chose to come into the physical world for the experience of contrast it would provide. That would imply there is a conscious, intelligent knowing, so maybe the rules, as they currently stand, are passed at some level onto the eventual physical form.

If someday humans are flying around, walking on water and passing through walls, my guess is that the baby would have the ability to do these things from birth, although it would have to learn how. Maybe we all come into the world with default, factory settings, to make it easier on our parents, because babies floating, swimming and walking through walls could present a problem...

Regarding thelerner's signature... There is no absolute Truth, just a pointing in its general direction. Everyone has to follow, or not follow (whether they are aware of this choice or not), their own path to their own personal Truth, which may not be the same as anyone else's.

I agree that feelings and intuition are the best signs to follow as each person walks the road to their personal Truth.

I think I have more to say, but am done for now. Thank you for all your replies.

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 3

^ Nice quote, what exactly is the Pronoia?

It's a book , the full title is Pronoia The antidote for Paranoia by Rob Brezny.  http://www.amazon.com/Pronoia-Antidote-Paranoia-Revised-Expanded/dp/1556438184-

My bottom saying is a quote from it.  Helps me keep positive on the Bums, probably annoyingly and combatively so.

I like it, I think without a shot of positive thinking its easy to fall into melancholy.  We're inundated by the news that's a concentration of all thats going wrong in the world, so much so its easy to forget how much is going right. 

Here's a bit of the review- "Brezsny persuasively advises readers to go along with the universe's good intentions, but his rejection of cynicism and a bleak view of human nature isn't rooted in denial. On the contrary, he makes a case for a cagey optimism that requires a vigorous engagement with the dark forces. He asks us to rethink life as a sublime game created for our amusement and illumination."

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

What if all phenomena are simply memes that exist on different layers of our consciousness - like conscious, subconscious, and deeper collective unconscious? Conscious beliefs are the easiest to access, but also the least powerful. "Universal" phenomena like gravity might exist on the collective unconscious - and thus come factory-installed and be more difficult to hack? Trying to change that might be like trying to heal one's DNA/ming/extraordinary vessels/bone marrow/etc...

Edited by gendao

I was thinking along those same lines, but have since released those beliefs and let them go. Because to believe that the "majority rules" when it comes to beliefs is not empowering. Better to believe that everyone's beliefs affect only themselves by default. However others can adopt similar or the same beliefs if they choose to, aware of it or not, conscious of it or not, and if they adopt such a belief it then affects them as well as the person they adopted it from.

Children adopt the beliefs of those that raise them, and forget any knowledge they brought with them from their time before. It is likely that as children the idea of flying, walking on water or through walls was not so preposterous. But in emulating their parents, who do not do these things, they forget that they know they can do that.

They see a wall, remember that the other day when they ran into it they got hurt, and from that point on a wall is solid for them. Like me and those branches at night appearing rounded. It never occurs to a child to question what they know or remember, so from that point on they navigate the world the same as everyone else, traveling through supposedly empty space and not through walls.

I think perhaps my path to my personal Truth is one of keeping things simple and empowering. The simplest, most empowering belief to have right now is that I am indirectly experiencing the world through my beliefs. This is neither good nor bad. If I desire a more direct experience of the world, I must release and let go of any beliefs between me and it.

This is what I am in the process of doing. When I am experiencing the world directly, as it is, moment by moment, outside of any beliefs about it, those are the same moments that I can fly, walk on water or through walls. Those are the moments when the things commonly called miracles are performed.

Edited by DreamBliss

WOW! I have received, and gratefully accepted, an abundance of viewpoints! While I do not initially like Seeker of Wisdom's, it is an interesting point of view, so I am going to have to be with that for a while.

Good questions from gendao. I have no answers, only guesses. My best guess is that the child developing in the womb experiences reality through its mother. For some reason babies can't swim either, yet they have been immersed in fluids for almost a year. To swim they have to learn how. So some sort of change is occurring between exiting the womb and entering the world.

Following the teachings of Abraham and others it would seem that a baby is the individual manifestation of some aspect of Source that chose to come into the physical world for the experience of contrast it would provide. That would imply there is a conscious, intelligent knowing, so maybe the rules, as they currently stand, are passed at some level onto the eventual physical form.

If someday humans are flying around, walking on water and passing through walls, my guess is that the baby would have the ability to do these things from birth, although it would have to learn how. Maybe we all come into the world with default, factory settings, to make it easier on our parents, because babies floating, swimming and walking through walls could present a problem...

Regarding thelerner's signature... There is no absolute Truth, just a pointing in its general direction. Everyone has to follow, or not follow (whether they are aware of this choice or not), their own path to their own personal Truth, which may not be the same as anyone else's.

I agree that feelings and intuition are the best signs to follow as each person walks the road to their personal Truth.

I think I have more to say, but am done for now. Thank you for all your replies.

There is no absolute truth? Maybe there is the truth and individual serups?

There is no absolute truth? Maybe there is the truth and individual serups?

I don't know what a serup is, but fine, if you really want there to be an Absolute Truth you can have one. All you have to do is believe there is an Absolute Truth, and as long as you believe in it you will find proof for it in your life experience.

When you get bored of Absolute Truth you might try releasing and letting go of that belief, and believing in something more challenging, like unicorns. The world could always use more people who believe in unicorns, and they are a lot more fun than Absolute Truth!

:P

Edited by DreamBliss

"If someday humans are flying around, walking on water and passing through walls, my guess is that the baby would have the ability to do these things from birth, although it would have to learn how. Maybe we all come into the world with default, factory settings, to make it easier on our parents, because babies floating, swimming and walking through walls could present a problem..."

That's why we made Aeroplanes, Ships and doors. So much easier than looking stupid hitting the floor at 120mph, drowning or hospitalising yourself for numerous lacerations, broken bones and general wall induced trauma.

Edited by Karl

I don't know what a serup is, but fine, if you really want there to be an Absolute Truth you can have one. All you have to do is believe there is an Absolute Truth, and as long as you believe in it you will find proof for it in your life experience.

When you get bored of Absolute Truth you might try releasing and letting go of that belief, and believing in something more challenging, like unicorns. The world could always use more people who believe in unicorns, and they are a lot more fun than Absolute Truth!

:P

I meant "setups".

Okay I understand you, thanks.

Nobody commented on unicorns? Not one person had anything to say about that?

Man! Tough crowd here...

Nobody commented on unicorns? Not one person had anything to say about that?

Man! Tough crowd here...

I think you meant tough herd ?

Not a unicorn amongst us would challenge you.