Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

three score and ten years ago today

It did,first Hiroshima,then three days later Nagasaki,that mushroom2.

indeed it did

the unthinkable struck twice

heavy heavy stuff

...and Chernobyl to some degree although in a different form and motive 

Well, one can always argue that dropping the bomb (the first one, the second wasn't necessary) saved the lives of many Americans and their allies, Aussies included.

...and Chernobyl to some degree although in a different form and motive 

3 mile island too

and in 2011 fukushima

Edited by zerostao

and yet, we have to think bigger.  atomic bombs are horrible, but mankind has been destroying whole cities for millennia.  In WWII the Nazi's bombed cities out of existence, so did the allies; look at Dresden where even the people in bomb shelters died because fire storms sucked the oxygen out of the air.

to me the target should be war itself and that's a very hard disease to overcome.   can't think of much of a way.  maybe a united nations sponsored education program for kids.  some sort of universal 3 thru 8th grade world wide curriculum on the dignity of man, the horrors of war, especially those brought on through nationalism, prejudice and propaganda.  

thats no panacea, but just having a group of nations create such a program together might be some kind of victory.  every child in most nations learning about the horrors of war; the destruction, the evil they spread.  just 20 minutes even once a week for a few years, hitting on a subject that is in danger of wiping out our species and spread incalculable evil.   

that's all i got. 

even saying the above, there are still conditions where war is required, though to enter into it happily, with anything but reluctance and dread is terrible. 

• Like 2

it is a difficult subject to talk about, i think, the atomic bomb and the horrors of WWII including the holocaust and then the cold war with specter of nuclear war in the back of our minds giving us the postmodern age which mostly took the beauty, color, and charm out of the world for many. artists had to fling paint onto the canvas to try and express the new way of things.

i couldnt wait for postmodernism to end but look what we got now,

is the half glass of water too acidic to drink or not

idk

• Like 1

British nuclear testing Maralinga 1956-1963 Australia.

Displaced Maralinga TjaruTjaru peoples,by 7 atomic bombs.

Soldiers used as guinea pigs.

Radiation fallout drifting towards populated East coast.

This is not a novel story line,this all happened with the blessing of Australian Govt.

• Like 2

taomeow previously posted this on another thread

"Man invented the atom bomb.  Somehow It never occurred to a single mouse to invent the mousetrap."-- A German aphorist whose name I forget

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this