Sign in to follow this  
liminal_luke

Early Morning Hot Water

I´m remembering some of my old Taoist teachers (among them Healing Tao´s Juan Li) as recommending drinking a cup of plain hot water -- not tea or coffee -- first thing in the morning.

Has anybody else heard of this? Does anybody practice this? Know the rationale?

Thanks!

• Like 3

Yeah, a lot's of teachers or chinese doctors say that. Indeed, they said that you have to drink a lot of hot water

Regards

• Like 1

Definitely. A glass of plain (no lemon, no ginger or tea or any kind of flavoring at all) hot water (as hot it comes out of the tap) is first thing to cross my lips after waking. In more modern terms, it's a soothing start of the day for the gut bacteria. It's also very good before sleeping, quite possibly for the same reason (?).

And never eat or drink anything ice cold (ok, that's the dogmatic view, but sometimes, a scoop of pistachio ice cream is just the right sensuous sin, lol)

• Like 2

Interesting about the gut bacteria connection Soaring Crane. I´ve been reading more and more lately about the importance of those little critters. Have also heard about the not drinking ice cold drinks recommendation. I love my cold ice tea, actually anything cold, so that would be a hard one for me. Might be worth trying for awhile though and see if I notice anything.

• Like 1

Interesting about the gut bacteria connection Soaring Crane. I´ve been reading more and more lately about the importance of those little critters. Have also heard about the not drinking ice cold drinks recommendation. I love my cold ice tea, actually anything cold, so that would be a hard one for me. Might be worth trying for awhile though and see if I notice anything.

you're American, right? :-)

I feel like a mutant when I'm in the US and order "no ice" in my water. More often than not, I'm served ice anyway.

• Like 2

Yes I am. Though currently living in Mexico where ice fascism is not so much in vogue. Here an iced drink often amounts to some tepid fruit water with a single cube of ice floating on top. I love the freeze myself, so perhaps this is a case of getting what you need, not what you want.

• Like 1

Cold beverages including water and cold/raw food damage and deplete kidney yang. Total disaster.

Look after your kidney as if it were the most precious thing in life, because it is, the root, the source of life. Imagine what sex is like (highly depleting, causes a karmic exchange between beings with future consequences, rises yang, dries the Wood/liver, dries the brain which is nourished by the kidney) leave that to ordinary humans if you are serious about mind cultivation.

Personally I drink Chinese tea in the morning, purified/spring hot water is excellent.

Best!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

When I was still living somewhere where I was able to take Tai Chi, our instructor included this very advice as part of our daily routine.  It seems to be fairly typical in Chinese medicine.  I have personally never adopted the practice as I am a shameless coffee adict.  :D

• Like 1

And never eat or drink anything ice cold

:(

I know this is the Chinese way, but... yes, has always seemed a bit extreme to me.

Hot tea, cold beer; apples & oranges, cigarettes & whisky... everything in moderation!

• Like 1

:(

I know this is the Chinese way, but... yes, has always seemed a bit extreme to me.

Hot tea, cold beer; apples & oranges, cigarettes & whisky... everything in moderation!

Yes, I think you're right...seems like too broad of a generalization, and too micromanaging.

There are times when cold water is good - such as on a hot day when you want to cool down. It seems to me to be more hydrating to have cool water rather than warm...at least that's the case for me, because I store spring water at room temp, and in the summer it's not even enjoyable or thirst quenching to drink it. Almost want to put it in the fridge first. If the spleen+stomach and kidney yang are healthy, should be no problem if the water is cool. The stomach might get cold in it as a result, especially if it's literally ice cold water...but it will be warmed back up by the body's own energy, the kidney yang.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this