Dream

Qiqong practice and storms / thunderstorms ?

Somebody, i don't remember who, said to me that it's bad to practice when there is a storm or a thunderstorm.

Is this true? Why?

Regards

I've heard that too.  I think the reason was that it 'messes with your qi', which to me sounds kinda fuzzy.  We had a heck of an electrical storm here a few days ago, I've never seen so much continuous lightning flashes.   I didn't practice, but did grab a reclining beach chair, took it a nearby field and enjoyed watching the lightning. 

*note while it was an extreme storm, it wasn't raining where I was and it seemed like it was in the distance. 

It's a general recommendation, you come across in much of the qigong literature. There are various explanaitons, from adversly affecting or reversing your qi flow to attracting the negative energies (aka demons) that are active during thunderstorms.

But somebody got bad results practising in storms? 

What is to reverse the qi flow?

Regards

We are existing in between Heaven and Earth.

In qigong, we mediate these energy as part of this exchange.

Lightning is a strong discharge energy between Heaven and Earth.

In qigong, we are practicing with the normal flow of things.

Lightning is very strong and very sudden discharge.

Sex activity is a good example, because sex is naturally occurring qigong.

Conception relies on orderly transfer between Heaven and Earth energies as going through and in our body.

Strong discharge of lightning may interfere with normal conception energetics - same way with individual practicing qigong posture exercises.

In lightning storm, normal energetics between Heaven and Earth develop into strong accumulation and sudden discharge of energy, and this is disruptive to delicate energetic practices and functions. Even TV or radio equipment shows chaos, and these are also recieving/transferring energy like person doing qigong.

-VonKrankenhaus

Wow... going against the grain then, I've had some truly awesome sessions during huge thunderstorms.

Finished feeling charged up and in control of the moment.

• Like 1

I don't want to make out like there's anything to my experience, in the face of traditional guidelines.

I guess my definition of charged up is simply just 'energized'. Alive and sensative of more.

And... in control of the moment...By this I mean 'in rhythm', to put it in basic terms. Connected.

The expected results, really. However, I've always found levels higher after practice in big storms.

• Like 2

Wow... going against the grain then, I've had some truly awesome sessions during huge thunderstorms.

Finished feeling charged up and in control of the moment.

I don't want to make out like there's anything to my experience, in the face of traditional guidelines.

I guess my definition of charged up is simply just 'energized'. Alive and sensative of more.

And... in control of the moment...By this I mean 'in rhythm', to put it in basic terms. Connected.

The expected results, really. However, I've always found levels higher after practice in big storms.

Yep! I love to practice during storms.

Here is how the myth about not practicing during storms came about - I know the exact history:

Wan Huang Lo, a qigong practitioner, ate some gou rou at dinner and then practiced his qigong during a thunderstorm. He got sick. Even though Mr Lo told his wife "it was something he ate",  she told all the villagers that practicing qigong during thunderstorms made you ill, as she didn't want to admit that she served bad dog. An old wive's tale.

• Like 7

I've found my storm practice sessions to be hit and miss. Thunderstorms bother the fuck outta my arthritis but there is so much potential energy above when I work with it I'm grounding down some serious energy. Sucked a shit ton of energy down a few years back and made a nice circular hole in the clouds right above my house. Only place in the neighborhood that was sunny at the time. I don't normally do that though, too much cathartic load with that much energy coursing through me.

• Like 2

Re:

-----

"Wan Huang Lo, a qigong practitioner, ate some gou rou at dinner,,,"

-----

This is all fine, and entertaining, etc.

But I feel that we are missing something about this.

Lightning is a buildup of strong potential that suddenly releases in the atmosphere between the ground and the sky.

Television and radio - crude devices compared to living beings - show big and immediate effect from lightning.

Do anyone ever go outside during this and watch insects and other animals?

Think about the electromagnetic sensing and functioning of the human body as relate to cell growth and cell-cell communication, and also reception and reaction to external energetic influences, like we do with geolocation, etc.

Most people do feel "invigorated" by lightning storm - but this may be a response more like feeling invigorated by a minor slap in the face, like a "tensing reaction" to the temporary disruption in the environment. The lightning disturbance initiates a slight "defense" situation that feels "invigorating" when we do it.

But I'm writing about something more "subtle". It may be that people today eating much meat, dairy, and chemicals are too packed-up and not sensitive to qi so much - I don't really know them to say.

It makes a good study - to go out in storms like this and feel what is really happening in environment and to us.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus
  • Like 1

I've found my storm practice sessions to be hit and miss. Thunderstorms bother the fuck outta my arthritis but there is so much potential energy above when I work with it I'm grounding down some serious energy. Sucked a shit ton of energy down a few years back and made a nice circular hole in the clouds right above my house. Only place in the neighborhood that was sunny at the time. I don't normally do that though, too much cathartic load with that much energy coursing through me.

That's really interesting as a friend of mine told me about 6 months ago about a wierd experience that him and his friends had when they were about 11 years old or so.

Apparently they were doing some sort of "anti rain dance" movements and intentions and the clouds started seperating in a circle above them and it stopped raining in their area. Sounds pretty similar to what your describing. He said they repeated it later that day aswell, cool stuff anyway, cheers!

Sorry forgot to mention this was during a storm also.

Edited by Synchronic

Re:

-----

"And what about doing qiqong with wind ?"

-----

That must be happening all the time in those expensive workshops and retreats that people are having these days.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Somebody, i don't remember who, said to me that it's bad to practice when there is a storm or a thunderstorm.

Is this true? Why?

Regards

Are we conduits- creating an electromagnetic field, when we cultivate?

How "big is your aura"... is it reaching into an area in the corner where there are electrical outlets, pipes, running water?

Are you wearing any jewelry?

Is your body accumulating static while full lotus on that rug?

I could go on, about negative ions, etc- but you get the gist of it

Make sure you are not using a grounding wire when you cultivate during a thunderstorm

As to how to remain safe indoors during a thunderstorm, experts advise:
A safe shelter is a building with electricity and/or plumbing or a metal-topped vehicle with windows closed. Picnic shelters, dugouts, small buildings without plumbing or electricity are not safe. There are three main ways lightning enters structures: a direct strike, through wires or pipes that extend outside the structure, and through the ground. Once in a structure, lightning can travel through the electrical, phone, plumbing, and radio/television reception systems. Lightning can also travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
  • Stay off corded phones. You can use cellular or cordless phones.
  • Don't touch electrical equipment such as computers, TVs, or cords. You can remote controls safety.
  • Avoid plumbing. Do not wash your hands, take a shower or wash dishes.
  • Stay away from windows and doors that might have small leaks around the sides to let in lightning, and stay off porches.
  • Do not lie on concrete floors or lean againt concrete walls.
  • Protect your pets: Dog houses are not safe shelters. Dogs that are chained to trees or on metal runners are particularly vulnerable to lightning strikes.
  • Protect your property: Lightning generates electric surges that can damage electronic equipment some distance from the actual strike. Typical surge protectors will not protect equipment from a lightning strike.

• Like 1

Re:

-----

"And what about doing qiqong with wind ?"

-----

That must be happening all the time in those expensive workshops and retreats that people are having these days.

-VonKrankenhaus

Ok... So, what?

I have always spent as much time outside during lightning and thunder as I could as far back as I can remember.  And, while living in Brooklyn for seven years and having instant access to the rooftops, I would go and dance and work on hard forms on the roof during every thunderstorm.  Here, we haven't had a thunderstorm in several years...   sigh.

None of my teachers have ever mentioned it, although it would have changed nothing as that is one of my great loves in life.   Dancing nude amidst the wind, torrential rain and crackling lightning is one of the greatest things in life to me.

One of my teachers routinely advised against practicing outdoors when it was foggy however.  He was quite adament about it.  His reasoning was that harmful pollutents in the air, bonded to the water particles and thus were brought into the lungs in high concentrations.   

Are we conduits- creating an electromagnetic field, when we cultivate?

How "big is your aura"... is it reaching into an area in the corner where there are electrical outlets, pipes, running water?

Are you wearing any jewelry?

Is your body accumulating static while full lotus on that rug?

I could go on, about negative ions, etc- but you get the gist of it

Make sure you are not using a grounding wire when you cultivate during a thunderstorm

Good points. I absolutely do not advocate practicing outside in a lightning storm. I was struck by lightning and lived through it but I worked on people who lived through it but were messed up pretty bad.

I can say for sure that in the system I practice and teach, it is absolutely OK to practice during (not outside in) storms. One problem that could be for some people is that a storm is clearing and sick qi/negative energetics rides like a surfer on the winds as a front goes through. If someone is practicing a form of qigong that doesn't do much, then that person could be subject to absorbing a bit of this. Reaching a 3 month level inside an authentic/real qigong system should be adequate to provide one with the knowledge and ability to shield from this simple negative energetics I am referring to.

We are exposed to electromagnetic fields every day, with induced hall-effect type current flows, rf fields, etc. Would be much better to get the heck out of the city where the electromagnetic fields are so chaotic and intense than to worry about practicing during storms. And, some of us LIKE the natural energetics.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 3

Some of you are going to get someone hurt or killed, or get hurt, or killed yourselves.

WE'RE Immortal. These vehicles are NOT.

You NEVER cultivate during a lightning storm! EVER! Inside OR outside. It's one of the first rules I give out, when I'm teaching Qigong, and/or cultivation.

This is basic safety 101.

A storm's a disturbance In the atmosphere. So it's going to cause a physical, emotional, & energetic disturbance In YOU.

I can feel lightning strikes happening miles away now. And not In a good way. I'm NOT cultivating during that.

Anyone who does...Good luck with that. 

Or, said another way:

Cheers!

Is it much safer to get in your car than to practice indoors qigong? ...oops, guess not!

• Like 1

The point is not to practice PERIOD, during a thunderstorm.

It's not just about getting struck by lightning. It's not the kind of energy you

want to take in that way. This is basic Qigong.

If some folks can't understand the reasons why, there's really not a whole lot more

I can say. Have fun.

Cheers!

Who says that lightning, thunder, rain, and storms are bad energy for people? Of course it's dangerous to get struck...but...

• Like 2