Sign in to follow this  
DreamBliss

Anything else like the Vipassana retreat centers in the Pacific Northwest?

I am focusing on the Pacific Northwest here in the USA. Specifically on "pay-it-forward" places like the Vipassana retreat centers, where the 10-day course, while required before doing anything else, is free, and food and lodging are also free. Hopefully this is not like Fight Club where the first rule of Fight Club is you're not supposed to talk about Fight Club...

These retreats exist solely on the donations of former students, which I think is a really good system. I have always thought that a more spiritually evolved community of any kind would have to have some equally spiritually evolved solution to keeping the lights on, so-to-speak.

What I would like to know is if there are any other spiritual retreat places like this? Here in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon, Washington and California, with free programs, food, lodging? If you are allowed to talk about them of course.

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 1

My experience is that with these kinds of things the teachings themselves are often on a donation basis, so free if that´s what works for you. I´ve never heard of free lodging and meals though although perhaps that exists somewhere. The place I´ve been in Washington is called Cloud Mountain. Years ago but I assume it´s still humming along.

One thought is that you might apply to work at one of these centers in exchange for lodging, food, and teachings.

Edited by liminal_luke

The Vipassana retreat centers (https://www.dhamma.org/en/locations/directory) provide free food and lodging. Old members, as they are called, can donate, giving the gift of the course to others. Teachers have to be self-sufficient - they are not paid. The whole thing is a nonprofit.

I wasn't aware of such places either and didn't think they existed until I was told about this. I will look up this Cloud Mountain.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this