thelerner

Getting Youtubes to show up properly

This used to happen automatically for me.  When I'd 'Cut' from the 'Share' option in Youtube using Firefox and pasted it into a thread the whole picture would show up.  Nowadays that doesn't happen, I end up with a link.   I guess there's some code I need and couldn't find w/ a search though I'm sure its here somewhere.

Thus, whats the way to have youtube video's show up in a thread? Or if you can point me to the right thread, thanks.

Edited by thelerner

This used to happen automatically for me. When I'd 'Cut' from the 'Share' option in Youtube using Firefox and pasted it into a thread the whole picture would show up. Nowadays that doesn't happen, I end up with a link. I guess there's some code I need and couldn't find w/ a search though I'm sure its here somewhere.

Thus, whats the way to have youtube video's show up in a thread? Or if you can point me to the right thread, thanks.

Please post here an example of a YouTube URL rendering as a link rather than an embedded video. We can probably identify the problem from that example (it works for me if I am careful about the www.YouTube.com part...)
  • Like 1

Realized that seems a bit cryptic -- the forum software recognizes and converts a www.youtube.com-type URL into the embedded video player but does not do so with www.youtu.be or m.youtube.com URLs.

• Like 1

let me experiment here is me just writing down the url on the top of a youtube:

here is me writing down the 'Share'

lets see what happens when I hit Post.  I think what'll happen is the cut and pasted url will work and the share will give me what I usually get, just an address.

<later edit.  Gotcha, I was doing too much work, thinking I needed to use Share, when all I needed was the URL address name at the very top [query] section, no Share required.

Thanks. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

let me experiment here is me just writing down the url on the top of a youtube:

here is me writing down the 'Share'

lets see what happens when I hit Post. I think what'll happen is the cut and pasted url will work and the share will give me what I usually get, just an address.

<later edit. Gotcha, I was doing too much work, thinking I needed to use Share, when all I needed was the URL address name at the very top [query] section, no Share required.

Thanks.

Notice that the version which doesn't work is a "shortened" URL, using a Belgian domain.