Sign in to follow this  
Arya

Why do we enjoy sex without the intent to reproduce?

I've been pondering upon this for awhile but don't quite understand it. 

Are humans abusing this mechanism(of sex)? Why is the bliss so absurdly powerful when it comes to sex? 

WHY Do we have sex without the intent to reproduce?

Edited by Arya
  • Like 1

I know many people find parenting very fulfilling, and far be it for me to question anybody else´s choices, but given my own experience with children I´d ask a different question: why does anyone ever have sex with the intent to reproduce?

Liminal

• Like 2

Which does any animal come to recognize first (sex or reproduction)?

I think there is a natural answer to the unbalanced question :)

Sex is pleasurable because it's evolution's way of ensuring that we reproduce.

• Like 1

From the union of the two, a third one is born. Now this is a spiritual principle that holds true not only on the physical level. In fact, the union of polarities is valid on every level. If you think of humans as essentially spiritual beings, it makes perfect sense that there is a spiritual side to sexuality. That's actually how diverse Eastern systems look at it.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

The fascination between men and women works on so many different levels and I think the sexual act symbolises these and realises them. It often occurs to me that reproduction is not at all the main reason for sex but a necessary outcome. Like smoke is not necessary to burn the wood, but is just part of the process.

The experience of falling in love platonically with a member of the opposite sex can be an illuminating experience. The sex can be welcomed but is not at all the most important thing. The woman you love is fascinating you at the deepest levels of your being.

Only experience rather than a Darwinian interpretation will ultimately answer the question for you.

• Like 1

We have to look at social and individual psychology, too.

The vast majority of us are confused about where these desires are rooted.

The natural side of sexual pleasure comes from the ability and necessity to procreate, in the form of nerve sensitivity in certain areas. However, for the most part, sexual pleasure is mental.

In this sensual state, we easily go into a type of meditative focus, shifting our awareness to individually preferred areas and inducing pleasure. With the Self often clogged by misunderstood impulse reactions and desires, we bring our demons into it. Many of us are trying to fill the void, the want to be needed and enjoyed. To prove that we are here, and can interact with the world...that we're not alone.

But, on the positive side, this medatative focus can be a great tool when used correctly with a partner that you love, or a skilled equal. It's a shame that society discourages love, while advocating sex appeal and sluttiness.

• Like 3

We have The need for "other" primary to the need for the baby. Not only human do it for fun - monkeys too, I gues thatthey don't analyse it too much.

Actually, Through sex you can open yourself to the Divinity

Edited by Kubba
  • Like 1

really want to make love to a celestial goddess.

I know they exist.

But I'm afraid they won't like me with this pathetic, disgusting human body. AHAHAH

Let me tell you, if you go on without having a sexual thought for a few months then you'll realize that the damn body has automatic mechanisms when sighting or hearing the opposite sex. It's not something you can control consciously, not that I know of any way. Being in meditation might suppress it but I haven't tried that approach.

Well, if you're serious about meditation then you shouldn't be in society anyways.

That's why after attaining awakening/immortality the karma of the body is left with all it's karmic propensity but the realized persons cannot/do not act on them because their mind knows that it will lead to further 'I' or 'self' making.

Let me tell you, if you go on without having a sexual thought for a few months then you'll realize that the damn body has automatic mechanisms when sighting or hearing the opposite sex. It's not something you can control consciously, not that I know of any way. Being in meditation might suppress it but I haven't tried that approach.

Well, if you're serious about meditation then you shouldn't be in society anyways.

That's why after attaining awakening/immortality the karma of the body is left with all it's karmic propensity but the realized persons cannot/do not act on them because their mind knows that it will lead to further 'I' or 'self' making.

This is not true.  You can practice while still engaged in society - although of course periods of quiet retreat are still helpful.

• Like 4

I think that meditation is for those who want to escape the sensual delights of the world, in the process becoming Gods or adjoining the High Divinity or even completely abandoning the cosmos(by becoming immortals). If you're meditating without that purpose then it's useless. You should be cultivating worldly skills instead so you can delight in sensual stuff.

I think that meditation is for those who want to escape the sensual delights of the world, in the process becoming Gods or adjoining the High Divinity or even completely abandoning the cosmos(by becoming immortals). If you're meditating without that purpose then it's useless. You should be cultivating worldly skills instead so you can delight in sensual stuff.

If I may say, your position sounds very dualistic.  'escape', 'abandon' and so on.  If this is your way then perhaps this is how you must think.  

most people take pleasure and delight in sex because the need for union ties in neatly with a very basic human desire for affirmation. Desire knows no bound, and affirmation... its shadow. 

Union can be achieved on different levels - physical, mental, spiritual, cosmic, universal, and all the flow-betweens. 

Most tend to hover around the physical and material plane; i think this is where the need for affection and acceptance get inextricably woven within the sphere of physical intimacy because there are those (many in fact) who do not consciously know of other levels. There's however a prolonged nagging feeling that there's something greater, perhaps even divine, that is 'out there', but not knowing how to connect intuitively with that deep-seated suspicion kind of limits the options - so it often appears that the next best thing to do is to try and 'touch' that ground thru physical sexual union. The bliss there can be quite addictive, and makes people who cannot transcend beyond the physical want to taste it repeatedly. 

Sounds a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

Is there no point jogging, unless you are going to win olympic gold? 
  • Like 3

I've been pondering upon this for awhile but don't quite understand it. 

Are humans abusing this mechanism(of sex)? Why is the bliss so absurdly powerful when it comes to sex? 

WHY Do we have sex without the intent to reproduce?

Because it feels good...

When the earth's creatures were in homeostasis, it was difficult to reproduce and maintain population.

Just difficult enough to maintain balance.

Hence the very strong drive to reproduce.

Now our technological advances and unbridled greed have caused us to choke off all competition and overpopulate most of the earth. 

We no longer need to reproduce but the biology hasn't changed, the drive is still there.

At least that's how I see it. 

Sexual function is the discharge of excess.

Starvation ends sexual desire and function.

People today have excess sexual desires because they have been taught to eat the foods designed to produce this effect.

It produced plenty of abstract worker/drones which were set to the work of vanquishing nature.

Good consumers have desires beyond all reasonable proportion.

It is also easier to manipulate and profit from imbalanced people.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Sexual desire is normal.  And enjoyable.  With some knowledge and discipline it's a pleasurable part of life.  

Sex is easy, the consequences of reproduction hard. 

• Like 2

Many people want to have sex without reproducing. A few want to reproduce without having sex. Why judge?

I think there´s this thought that by judging our own sexual impulses impulses and those of other people, we will somehow be able to keep this powerful force in some kind of check, perhaps even stop it altogether, or harness the energy to fuel our spiritual pursuits. My experience is the opposite: the more judgement there is, the less control.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Sounds a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

Is there no point jogging, unless you are going to win olympic gold? 

You affirm my point. Jogging may help but it won't make you a star runner or make you win a marathon, both of which are high attainments, just like being a celestial through meditation is higher attainment compared to meditating with minimal gain and probably neither confirming higher birth in neither celestial nor lower realms such as human so you're just stuck in the middle. That's my take on it.

Meditation without renunciation is just a waste of time. You could be cultivating worldly skill. If you're meditating right/have good faith then you wouldn't want to be in society anyways because the bliss is so strong and requires seclusion to cultivate/perfect.

Maybe you haven't probed deep enough in your psyche to know how renunciation clears away MANY obstructions to proper meditation and seclusion even more. They clear away karmic propensities.

Why does sex feel good?

Why is the sky blue?

Rayleigh scattering...
  • Like 1

Why does sex feel good?

Why is the sky blue?

No.

This is important to know because sex is something we as humans partake in and it has consequences and for some people, they may be dire.

EVERYTHING you do in excess besides food, water, clothing, shelter & medicine is for the females.

IT is for the females. Everything. It's absurd.

That's the truth.

I think sex has a bonding process, and with female that deteriorates after every lay but with males they can bond with infinite number of females.

So female virgins are sacred/

There must be some dynamic of jing/chi/shen in sex.

I have a very strong distaste for women who have been with more than one partner, sexually. But I'd have intercourse with them - just won't wife them, lol.

I feel bad for these females.

Sign in to follow this