woodcarver

Advantageous to marry a young wife and have kids.

I keep seeing this in my readings and I strongly disagree. I'm guessing it's a metaphor or something? Does anybody know?

I appreciate the help if anybody answers :)

Edited by woodcarver

Ha I'm just broke and in between jobs. All the jobs I can get don't pay enough to support 3 or more. I would enjoy the lifestyle, I do admit.

It just hit me... Lottery or sugarmama

Edited by woodcarver

Well, as a survey showed, being married with a younger partner tends to extend the life expectancy of the older partner, and diminish the life expectancy of the younger partner.

• Like 1

Well, as a survey showed, being married with a younger partner tends to extend the life expectancy of the older partner, and diminish the life expectancy of the younger partner.

That's actually really interesting but the reading said all would benefit ;)

That may be so, but perhaps not all in the same way?

When the yijing tells someone like me to marry and have kids, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Perhaps with increased responsibility you would aim higher.

Touche but to have lives on the line as a motivator doesn't feel appropriate. Maybe its just to get me thinking about it and slowly start moving in that direction. Still, maybe its a metaphor YIJING SUPERTEAM... ASSEMMMBLLLLE!!!!

I  have seen a old man (about 60) who went to Phillipines and got married to a 20 yr old woman.  He was living alone and had nobody.  So, i think he got too eager to have companionship.  She came to USA, did not take care of him, went around screwing other men and he died of heartache soon.  She took all the money (which was her reason to marry him) after his death - poor guy died alone in a hospital because she didn't even bother to stay near him when he got sick.  He was heartbroken at end, because he  came to know that she was fucking around with other men.

In addition, note that Buddha said that older men should not associate with younger women.  I am of the opinion that it leads to regression of the mind.  By nature, as men age we tend to gain subtle mind/sensitive mind, and become inclined to spirituality - this is regressed by association  with a young woman, who is likely to be more interested  in sensual pleasures but not in spirituality or  development of the subtle mind.  

So, how much difference in age is ok ?  I don't know.   How difficult is it to live alone until death ? Perhaps the last few years of life  are the toughest without help ??   I recall now that Steve Jobs died alone in a room.  I vaguely remember reading that he wanted it that way.

• Like 3

I have seen a old man (about 60) who went to Phillipines and got married to a 20 yr old woman. He was living alone and had nobody. So, i think he got too eager to have companionship. She came to USA, did not take care of him, went around screwing other men and he died of heartache soon. She took all the money (which was her reason to marry him) after his death - poor guy died alone in a hospital because she didn't even bother to stay near him when he got sick. He was heartbroken at end, because he came to know that she was fucking around with other men.

In addition, note that Buddha said that older men should not associate with younger women. I am of the opinion that it leads to regression of the mind. By nature, as men age we tend to gain subtle mind/sensitive mind, and become inclined to spirituality - this is regressed by association with a young woman, who is likely to be more interested in sensual pleasures but not in spirituality or development of the subtle mind.

So, how much difference in age is ok ? I don't know. How difficult is it to live alone until death ? Perhaps the last few years of life are the toughest without help ?? I recall now that Steve Jobs died alone in a room. I vaguely remember reading that he wanted it that way.

The dude better should have stayed in the Philippines with that girl.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

Maybe the Yijing is suggesting that you become a humanitarian worker in a Third World country and found a family there?

Peace corps requires a bachelors :(. As someone who sucks at life and likes Chinese philosophy, my ears are always open to those opportunities. 

I  have seen a old man (about 60) who went to Phillipines and got married to a 20 yr old woman.  He was living alone and had nobody.  So, i think he got too eager to have companionship.  She came to USA, did not take care of him, went around screwing other men and he died of heartache soon.  She took all the money (which was her reason to marry him) after his death - poor guy died alone in a hospital because she didn't even bother to stay near him when he got sick.  He was heartbroken at end, because he  came to know that she was fucking around with other men.

In addition, note that Buddha said that older men should not associate with younger women.  I am of the opinion that it leads to regression of the mind.  By nature, as men age we tend to gain subtle mind/sensitive mind, and become inclined to spirituality - this is regressed by association  with a young woman, who is likely to be more interested  in sensual pleasures but not in spirituality or  development of the subtle mind.  

So, how much difference in age is ok ?  I don't know.   How difficult is it to live alone until death ? Perhaps the last few years of life  are the toughest without help ??   I recall now that Steve Jobs died alone in a room.  I vaguely remember reading that he wanted it that way.

Yes, that seems to be how things turn out with aging and I can understand Steve Jobs as well. This may be another reason to lean into the idea that it's a metaphor.

I was thinking about this some more... maybe I don't have to consciously understand. If I were supposed to then I would have. Especially after looking into it!

This one's a doozy :huh:

Hmm... Maybe to help you understand the answer, it would be helpful to know what the question was?

It has been coming up a lot and I usually just ask simple things like "is something going to jump out of the bushes and kill me today?" and "how I am I doing on my quest for nachos?". I don't want to strain the oracle.

I'm not actually asking those questions but mostly Hexagram 31 and I believe I also got a similar response in one of the lines of a different Hexagram but I'm not positive.

Two thoughts:

One- Young is relative.  Maybe you'll be a youngish 40 year old, more established and ready.

Two- as my grandmother once said, 'If the iching told you to jump off a bridge would you?' 

actually she may have talking about my friend, still, same principle applies.  Dumb advice is dumb no matter who gives it.  If you follow the iching religiously then be open, but don't seek it out, or actively pursue it, ie let fate run its course. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Two thoughts:

One- Young is relative.  Maybe you'll be a youngish 40 year old, more established and ready.

Two- as my grandmother once said, 'If the iching told you to jump off a bridge would you?' 

actually she may have talking about my friend, still, same principle applies.  Dumb advice is dumb no matter who gives it.  If you follow the iching religiously then be open, but don't seek it out, or actively pursue it, ie let fate run its course. 

Exactly. I'm only seeking it out because I'm getting the same thing over and over. Also I would like to better understand it so I don't jump off a bridge!

• Like 1

The I Ching is all about societal balance. The most stable systems are self-healing and self-supporting. Yin supports yang and yang supports yin. Leaders support followers and followers support leaders. Partners support each other. Old and young support each other.

The I Ching was written in a time when survival depended on families and tribes rather than supermarkets. IMHO, the passage suggests looking for things that complement you (not compliment) to learn from and be supported by, even if you don't feel like settling down...

• Like 2

"Marry a young wife and have children."

-The I-Ching

"A dog will ruin your carpet, but having a kid will ruin your life."

-My friend Mike

• Like 1

"Marry a young wife and have children."

-The I-Ching

"A dog will ruin your carpet, but having a kid will ruin your life."

-My friend Mike

Too late ;)

• Like 1

The trigrams are often described in terms of family roles. Eight family members, a mother, father, 3 yin children, 3 yang children. Lake often represents the youngest daughter, who could be seen to hold the most subordinate position, but whom also receives the most support.

Lake has two yang lines with 1 yin line on top. This represents being full of firm energy and strength, one's reserves of health, while being poised in a position of transformation. Similar to saving money, one is faced with the choice of instant gratification or delayed gratification. One has resources that are abundant and one feels their weight - there is pressure within to do something with this energy. If one practices wu-wei, one stores the energy up and lake transforms to heaven through non-doing. Instead one may utilize one's resources to feel the world out and gain experience and satiate one's curiosities.

In hexagram 11 we see that with Lake under Heaven, the curiosity of this person is able to act upon the father with a positive result, treading on the tail of the tiger without worry.

In hexagram 54 have lake under thunder - lake within, directing the arousal of thunder. This is termed "making a young girl marry", because it involves the use of this innocent energy in the way that will most quickly use it up, without giving it opportunity to develop into maturity. In internal alchemy this dynamic is represented by allowing the feelings and desires to control one's true nature, and the resulting leaking of primordial energies that ensues.

In hexagram 17 we have "following", thunder under lake, where the thunder of one's original nature is used to reconnect to one's feelings, and then one's feelings naturally follow one's original nature, and rather than "making a young girl marry", we have the potential for these two energies to merge with one another and replenish the primordial essences.

In hexagram 31 we have mountain under lake, and here the still and firm nature of the mountain is able to guide and nurture the desirous and curious nature of the lake energy. Internally correct, one is able to use one's curiosity externally in moderation and composure. Thus the benefit of "marrying a young girl" - not in the literal sense - this is describing a time when it is beneficial to apply and express one's curiosity and desires without regret.

Marrying here simply speaks of the merging of two energies. We could say this could be applied in taking the young children out to eat at a restaurant when they are calm and composed, but not when they are wild and full of sugar. We could use this to determine when it is OK to allocate our resources, able to know when our ambitions are too desirous, able to know when our ambitions are able to be applied with composure and great efficacy.

Study hexagram 28, wind under lake. What is happening here?

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 2