steve

Dream Yoga

Sketchbo0k said:

"I would love to learn this. Could you perhaps write a bit about it in a new thread?"

Dream Yoga is becoming quite popular. There are many varieties. I practice the Bön method which comes from a very important tantra called the Ma Gyü. There are significant differences between views from different practices. In particular, western dream teachers tend to emphasize content, whereas the Tibetan approach does not concern itself too much with content. There are Tibetan practices that involved dream content but it's not important in the dream yoga practice itself. For the Tibetans, the practice is much more about recognizing the nature of dream and how that relates to our lives, deaths, and the nature of mind. The content, according to the Tibetans, is simply a reflection of the content of our daily lives, feelings, and thoughts.

In the Bön view, as well as that of many shamanic and indigenous cultures, waking life is no more "real" than dream life. From the perspective of waking life, being awake seems real and the dream seems illusory. From the perspective of the bardo and the absolute, waking life is equally illusory and transient. Dream yoga trains us to become aware, in the dream state, that we are dreaming. In the dream state we are not limited by the same physical, emotional, and psychological constraints as in the waking state. Once we are able to become lucid in dream, we can use that additional freedom to change things that we have difficulty changing in our daily lives.

We can take advantage of the fact that we sleep approximately 1/3 of our lives (25 - 30 years for the average person), and try to give ourselves some of that additional time to practice. If we are able to become lucid in our dreams we are more likely to be aware and mindful during our daily lives and we are more likely to be lucid at the time of our death (and beyond, if you subscribe to such notions). The ultimate goal of dream yoga is to help us move towards complete liberation so that we may be of benefit to all others. 

The basic method involves daytime practices for setting the proper intention upon awakening and before sleep, practices to reinforce the dream-nature of our waking state throughout the day, practices to induce certain types of dreams, and practices for developing and stabilizing lucidity in dreams.

If you are interested in this, there are several ways to get instruction. The book -The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche gives a comprehensive outline of the method and practical instructions. It's all you need to get started. He also hosts online workshops on dream yoga once or twice a year through glidewing productions. More expensive but also much more supportive with personalized instruction from Rinpoche and the opportunity to connect with other practitioners in an online forum. Finally, he occasionally hosts retreats on the topic - the most recent was last month. Quite an amazing experience - he's a phenomenal teacher and knows how to connect these sometimes esoteric teachings directly to your life in a very practical way. One word of advice - this is a practice that takes a long time and lots of patience. It is very easy to get frustrated and give up. Be prepared to really make an investment and it will eventually pay off. 

As I mentioned, there are lots of other resources in different traditions. Alan Wallace has written a book on Tibetan dream yoga, Dreaming Yourself Awake. I can't comment on the book but Alan is also an excellent teacher. 

I'm hoping there are other practitioners here that will introduce their practices.

Good luck and good dreaming!

• Like 7

Thanks Steve.

I've had lucid dreams - more when I was younger than now.  Last year I made an effort keeping a dream diary and setting intent and achieved a lucid dream but for various reasons my attention moved to other things.  So I didn't keep it up for more than about a month.

Some of my dreams in the past have been accurate prognostications of detailed events - but without any clear meaning or reason.

Very interested in other peoples accounts and particularly methods (I've up read a few different styles).

So thanks for starting this.

A bit more about the practice -

There are four basic components:

1. Upon awakening we review the night's experiences, give thanks for success, be OK without it, and recommit to the practice in the coming day

2. Throughout the day we continually remind ourselves - "this is a dream", especially when confronted with challenging situations and strong emotions. And we try to connect like this at a deep level through the practice of the three doors

3. Before sleep we review the experiences of the day, purify with breathing exercises, and set a strong intention to have clear and lucid dreams through meditation and prayer

4. As we go to sleep we practice different sleeping positions, breathing, and visualizations to induce specific types of dreams related to the 4 qualities of enlightened mind - peaceful, increasing, powerful, and wrathful.

Finally, as we begin to see progress, there are exercises to work on in dreams to develop and stabilize the experience further. 

Really good stuff but not without a fair dose of tradition. It's interesting, Rinpoche is one of the more progressive Tibetan teachers out there but in the dream teaching he maintains a fair bit of tradition. I'm beginning to think that he is actually quite traditional and that what appears to be a secularization of traditional Tibetan methods is really tradition in disguise. 

Happy dreams!

• Like 2

Steve, what is the practice of three doors as outlined in step 2?

The Tibetan methods seem awfully similar to those in Stephen LaBerge's book. It's no surprise as the Buddhist methods are what gave rise to the methods we have here in the west. I have taken the methods given by LaBerge and have modified them in order to make them simpler. I will report back on their effectiveness in the months to come. Efficacy and practicality are what I look to achieve.

As of right now I'm also studying Taoist Dream Practices (the CD audio set by Michael Winn) and hopefully I will be able to take what works from there. I'm hoping it all works as Michael claims that while the Tibetan methods are supremely powerful, the Taoist methods give equal or better results and are more effortless. Some of the Taoist methods are also similar to the Buddhist methods as well like the different sleep positions (I find the Buddha posture and it's reverse equivalent to be rather uncomfortable so I prefer laying back and facing the ceiling).

I will experiment with those methods and also plan on taking a Taoist dream practice course with Juan Li. Eventually I'll learn from the Tibetans as well. This is a topic that interests me a great deal as Lucid Dreams are without a doubt the most pleasurable and exhilarating experiences I have ever had.

Edited by Oneironaut

In Poland we have an idiom that says "Dream - Mara, God - belief" (Sen - Mara, Bóg - wiara)

Steve, what is the practice of three doors as outlined in step 2?

The three doors are body, speech, and mind.

The practices involve connecting with stillness in the body, silence of the speech, and spaciousness of the mind/heart.

Each of those are doorways to connect us to the inner refuge, the nature of mind. 

Here is a link to the first in a 5 part series of free videos on the topic.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/30264539

The other parts can be found here - http://ligmincha.org/index.php/en/programs/internet-teachings-podcast.html

Scroll down to March 23, 2013  - The Gift of Inner Refuge series

Another way of learning the practices is through the book, Awakening the Luminous Mind. It was my first exposure to Bön and Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and is a wonderful resource. 

• Like 1

I've been practicing 'dream yoga' on and off for a number of years now, and have had only a small amount of success -- most probably proportionate to my efforts...

Interesting write-up though, thanks for sharing.  I've never considered trying to induce certain types of dreams.

I'm curious to know if the Tibetan methods include the use of certain herbs or herbal formulas, like Valerian, Vervain or any other herb listed in popular 'lucid dream inducing herbs' list?

Edited by kio

I've been practicing 'dream yoga' on and off for a number of years now, and have had only a small amount of success -- most probably proportionate to my efforts...

Interesting write-up though, thanks for sharing.  I've never considered trying to induce certain types of dreams.

I'm curious to know if the Tibetan methods include the use of certain herbs or herbal formulas, like Valerian, Vervain or any other herb listed in popular 'lucid dream inducing herbs' list?

I haven't been taught any herbal methods or formulas but that doesn't mean they're not used. 

I will say that the Bön teachings I've encountered encourage us to practice without chemical and herbal aids in general.

There is nothing closer to the nature of mind than that which isn't influenced by supplements, additives, and intoxicants.

Thanks for the reply.  I know of a few traditions that use herbal formulas to support their meditation practices, and certainly respect the idea that an unintoxicated/unsupplemented approach to be the best for development. 

In the system I practice, herbal formulas are used to 'bridge the gap', so to speak.  The supplements for meditation are used to expose the student to the necessary state of mind for the practice.  Afterwards, the student is required to reach that state on their own through the recollection of the internalized memory.

Sort of like a life-hack ;)  It would be interesting to try an herbal formula to induce a state of mind in which the student could go straight from waking consciousness into lucid dreaming.

I will say that the Bön teachings I've encountered encourage us to practice without chemical and herbal aids in general.

There is nothing closer to the nature of mind than that which isn't influenced by supplements, additives, and intoxicants.

Thanks for the reply.  I know of a few traditions that use herbal formulas to support their meditation practices, and certainly respect the idea that an unintoxicated/unsupplemented approach to be the best for development. 

In the system I practice, herbal formulas are used to 'bridge the gap', so to speak.  The supplements for meditation are used to expose the student to the necessary state of mind for the practice.  Afterwards, the student is required to reach that state on their own through the recollection of the internalized memory.

Sort of like a life-hack ;)  It would be interesting to try an herbal formula to induce a state of mind in which the student could go straight from waking consciousness into lucid dreaming.

I did have one lucid dream in which I felt myself falling asleep and was able to maintain conscious awareness during the transition from waking directly into the dream. It felt as if I dissolved into a brown, swirling wind, and I "awakened" in the dream state in a desert. It was actually the third lucid dream I had in a single night. 

Interesting lucid dream last night just as I fell asleep - I was in a building with a friend heading to a lecture. I stopped in the bathroom and noticed I didn't have any shoes on. It seemed strange. As I walked to the water fountain for a drink it occurred to me that I was probably dreaming. I decided to test that by trying to make myself taller. I seemed to be successful but not so much that I was sure I was asleep so I decided to try and wake myself up, and did...

• Like 1

So what do you think the main purpose would be in practicing the dream yoga, preparation for the bardo or something else?

The main purpose is nothing less than complete liberation from samsara and nirvana in order to be of benefit to all sentient beings.

Preparation for the bardo is an integral part of that. 

Lots of other benefits along the way. 

• Like 1

Short of complete liberation, I can think of no better way than to come to a direct understanding that everything we experience is a creation of the mind. This in itself can bring a large amount of relief. 

When you observe and then compare the different states of consciousness, you quickly learn some fairly good insights about what comes and goes--- memories, personality, gender, body, etc. My favorite states are the transitional ones: when one falls asleep or wakes up. If you pay attention, you can literally watch the world arise and dissolve. 

So what do you think the main purpose would be in practicing the dream yoga, preparation for the bardo or something else?

• Like 1

Of course everything is creation of the mind, this is obvious. Slight problem though comes from the fact that the mind can create responses to external stimuli and to internal ones. Responding to external stimuli or interpreting them in a right and adequate way may have life or death consequences. Whereas when mind responds to internal stimuli, it could mean anything or nothing at all. The difference is significant. Does dream yoga help with that?

Something to keep in mind...... For someone who is seriously walking the PATH, faithfully and observing the various necessities (sila, samadhi, panna),   dream-yoga  arises  naturally.   No need for any specific herbs/drugs or effort  to create lucid dreams.  A serious student  keeps his attention  on strengthening  the foundation,  because  without  proper  foundation  anything built on it  is likely  to  fall down/regress/fall-back,   and  one is forced  to restart the building process, without ever reaching  higher  levels. 

I am not discouraging in any way.  A yogi is awake, when the whole world sleeps.  This does not mean he is a night-owl  :)

• Like 2

My practice uses attention to the inside/outside impressions.

Before bed, when all the lights are off, I walk slowly around the house, and around the outside of the house and use my feeling sense to carefully feel out the energy qualities or possible spirits in the area I exist within. I pay particular attention to any living denizens of the animal or plant variety that also share the location.

Then I go to bed. In bed I continue to be aware of my local environment, but also shift my attention to feeling myself. The qualities that I am composed of. I look at how well the different aspects of myself are working together or not. If not, this gentle form of attention is often enough to correct things.

Next I often spend some time feeding the location and its beings with appreciation and gratitude, and then I let myself start to wander about, {with my mind senses} and I see what unfolds from there. Depending how it goes, sooner or later I drift into sleep and dreams.

This tends to be a great way for me to unpack my day, straighten things out within me, and keeps me learning about the nature of the dreaming soul, perception, and the Animistic universe.

• Like 1

Of course everything is creation of the mind, this is obvious.

It may be obvious to the intellect, but how deeply do we feel and know that.

If we know that to the very core of our being, the remainder of this question would not arise. 

Slight problem though comes from the fact that the mind can create responses to external stimuli and to internal ones. Responding to external stimuli or interpreting them in a right and adequate way may have life or death consequences. Whereas when mind responds to internal stimuli, it could mean anything or nothing at all. The difference is significant. Does dream yoga help with that?

Yes, dream yoga does help with that.

So many of our responses to "external stimuli" are conditioned by patterns we have inherited and developed throughout our lifetime(s). These patterns are often dysfunctional and perpetuated in un-awareness. 

In dreams, we have more freedom and the patterns not as strong. We are able to change the external circumstances to suit our needs in a way that we feel incapable of doing in our waking life. This can give us more confidence and more awareness in terms of how we react in our waking lives to both internal and external forces.

In dream, we can also tap into and express qualities that are obscured in waking life, I mention these earlier as the 4 qualities of enlightened beings/minds. As these are more fully expressed, that can transform our lives in powerful ways.

Remember that the dream yoga is not just a dream practice, it is a lifetime practice and sleep, dream, and waking. Through both the waking and sleeping practices, we are able to live more flexible, confident, and aware lives.  

• Like 1

My practice uses attention to the inside/outside impressions.

Then I go to bed. In bed I continue to be aware of my local environment, but also shift my attention to feeling myself. The qualities that I am composed of. I look at how well the different aspects of myself are working together or not. If not, this gentle form of attention is often enough to correct things.

Next I often spend some time feeding the location and its beings with appreciation and gratitude, and then I let myself start to wander about, {with my mind senses} and I see what unfolds from there. Depending how it goes, sooner or later I drift into sleep and dreams.

This tends to be a great way for me to unpack my day, straighten things out within me, and keeps me learning about the nature of the dreaming soul, perception, and the Animistic universe.

This is an example of  one such practice, which is focused on the foundation area  that i was talking about earlier. 

Steve has good points.  A strong practitioner  realizes  that  daytime experiences are not not separate from  night time experiences.  They are conjoined, and they affect  each other in a cycle.  What is learnt  in  one part of the day can be used in the other part of the day - this is exactly  what  the yogi  realizes and practices;  thus the  words..."A yogi is awake when the whole world sleeps".   Many deep meditative states  can be glimpsed at,  without  the use of  any  drugs/stimulants but with use of proper/strong  practices,  when  mind  enters  pure consciousness  during  sleep.  I welcome  corrections to the last statement (if  contrary opinion is present anywhere in the Suttas).

Edited by seekingbuddha
  • Like 1

Something to keep in mind...... For someone who is seriously walking the PATH, faithfully and observing the various necessities (sila, samadhi, panna),   dream-yoga  arises  naturally.   No need for any specific herbs/drugs or effort  to create lucid dreams.  A serious student  keeps his attention  on strengthening  the foundation,  because  without  proper  foundation  anything built on it  is likely  to  fall down/regress/fall-back,   and  one is forced  to restart the building process, without ever reaching  higher  levels. 

I am not discouraging in any way.  A yogi is awake, when the whole world sleeps.  This does not mean he is a night-owl  :)

I feel that the methods introduced by Stephen LaBerge lack any serious thought to building a solid foundation. His teachings are distilled from Tibetan techniques and they do work but only to an extent. Not to mention that his approach is rather dry and an attempt to literally strip out all spiritual aspects of dream yoga. 

Many deep meditative states  can be glimpsed at,  without  the use of  any  drugs/stimulants but with use of proper/strong  practices,  when  mind  enters  pure consciousness  during  sleep.  I welcome  corrections to the last statement (if  contrary opinion is present anywhere in the Suttas).

I have no corrections, because I agree with the idea of creating a strong foundation.

But just for the sake of argument, because it's a slow Saturday morning ;)

Shaktipat is a popular technique involving the 'induction' of a particular experience/perception/energy from teacher to student order to speed up the student's evolution/involution. 

When we consider the practice of herbal formulas (not to be defined as 'drugs' or 'stimulants', and treated as 'medicine' and in some cases 'sacred') as a type of Shaktipat, and use them in a similar fashion, I see no contradiction between them and proper foundation buidling practices.

Edited by kio

This has been my experience as well, just walking the Way there have been a few experiences of retaining consciousness while transitioning into sleep. I usually immediately shift back into waking up though as it is hard to maintain!

Definitely thanks for this thread though, I definitely could see adding this as a practice at some point. The view of reality as dreams within dreams has always resonated with me.

Is this a practice for those who are more mentally intuitive and already have vivid dreams? Or does it help one begin to get in touch with this faculty?

Is this a practice for those who are more mentally intuitive and already have vivid dreams? Or does it help one begin to get in touch with this faculty?

The practice I am describing is for anyone who has the good fortune to encounter it.

I suspect your results will depend on your proclivity and dedication.

I will say this - it takes a long time for some of us (me) to see meaningful progress.

This has been my experience as well, just walking the Way there have been a few experiences of retaining consciousness while transitioning into sleep. I usually immediately shift back into waking up though as it is hard to maintain!

As  steve mentions, dedication and proclivity help.  Dedication is dependent on strong FAITH on the PATH. Proclivity is dependent on kamma (past actions) and volition.  Develop these two without worrying about results.   Your shifting back into wakefulness/awareness  only shows that your consciousness is active/maintained  as you drift  into sleep.  Like a long lasting marriage,  commitment  to the practices/path  is more important,  than thinking about what lies ahead OR worrying about setbacks.  The PATH is longer than most of us can imagine, but the fruits along the path can be enjoyed during the journey without  worry/concern  about final destination.