Nungali

My City of Sydney.

What makes Sydney so special ?  (Well, thats the rave ... it is supposed to be extra special  :) . It was pretty good for the many years I lived there ).

This threads title is that of  an old song that used to get played in the old days, at the end of the nights tv broadcast

A lot of it  is to do with the harbour , the 'relaxed lifestyle'   ;) (see below), the beaches ....

Even I was impressed last visit, the water was clean and clear, schools of fish swimming about ...

But recently they have found something else in the water  ....  

Codiene, paracetamol. anti-depressants, prozac, tramadol  ... and other stuff.

yes, the happy citizens of the harbour side are doped up on so much 'medication' that it goes through their systems, into the sewerage and leaks get into the soil and the harbour  .

No wonder they are all so 'happy'.  

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-07/common-drugs-found-lurking-in-sydney-harbour-water/6599670

• Like 2

Yeah, drugs in the water was an issue here in the states a number of years ago but it seems nobody cared, nothing was done, and everyone forgot about it.

There are standards for toxic waste disposal but they are totally unenforcable.  Might as well not have the standards if they can't be enforced.

• Like 1

Almost any medication or drug you take is going to end up in the urine either directly (certain Siberian tribes used to have rituals where the shaman and the higher ranking members would ingest hallucinogenic mushrooms, and then the "lesser" tribe members would drink their urine to get high, as the drug passed through the system mostly whole, likewise there have been modern cases of methamphetamine users attempting to extract the drug from their own urine, although I don't know if any have succeeded) or as a metabolite, and obviously all this urine has to go somewhere.

There are nearly 5 million people in Sydney, that's a lot of pee, and it's just a fact that people in the modern world take lots of medication and drugs... while this kind of thing is useful for epidemiological studies, it doesn't really make a statement about the city itself (although I'm not a huge fan of the fact that it ends up in the harbor, but I guess it would be almost impossible to prevent at least some of it from doing so).

Personally I love Sydney and hope to find my way back there some day, it's an amazing city and IMO the best in the country (despite the traffic).

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 1

In Perth they keep threatening to recycle sewerage to be pumped back into the supply chain, I wonder if any of these sort of particles would make it through. Maybe it's time to run for the hills :blink:

Almost any medication or drug you take is going to end up in the urine either directly (certain Siberian tribes used to have rituals where the shaman and the higher ranking members would ingest hallucinogenic mushrooms, and then the "lesser" tribe members would drink their urine to get high, as the drug passed through the system mostly whole, likewise there have been modern cases of methamphetamine users attempting to extract the drug from their own urine, although I don't know if any have succeeded) or as a metabolite, and obviously all this urine has to go somewhere.

Oh great ... so now the ice freaks can just have a catheter connected to a tube that goes up the nose and into the stomach and stay permanently crazy   :wacko:

There are nearly 5 million people in Sydney, that's a lot of pee, and it's just a fact that people in the modern world take lots of medication and drugs... while this kind of thing is useful for epidemiological studies, it doesn't really make a statement about the city itself (although I'm not a huge fan of the fact that it ends up in the harbor, but I guess it would be almost impossible to prevent at least some of it from doing so).

It does make a statement about the city ... people take heaps of  anti depressants and painkillers. 

It makes a statement about modern life.   You know we live in one of the best countries in the world ... no, I am not just being patriotic or  suffering  pride . Get this folks ( from other countries)

Aside from the good  weather and relative freedom ....  when I dont work, the government pays me ... quiet well.  Get sick, they pay for the doctor and  most of any prescribed medication  (there is a hint to one of  the reasons for excessive drug use ), or go to the local hospital  for treatment, or as an inpatient  or operation ... paid for. 

One friend visiting from the USA was happy, as after 10 years service he now got 3 weeks annual leave and was able to come to Oz now for 1 of those weeks.  At that time I was getting 6 weeks holidays a year with 10 paid sickdays in the first year of employment .... and so on. 

Where I live has pristine environment, good services, virtually no poverty, river, forest, beaches, recreation, outdoor lifestyle water skiing skin diving, white water rafting ... blah  blah ...   

Who, in other countries would like all that handed on a plate to you and live here 

Bellingen-River-620x378.jpg

The  local chemists in this area have the highest distribution of anti-depressants per population of any area in the state. 

Sort of make one think what's going on ? 

Personally I love Sydney and hope to find my way back there some day, it's an amazing city and IMO the best in the country (despite the traffic).

... and the  rent / house prices and .... and ....  

~  See how spoilt I have become !  

Edited by Nungali

In Perth they keep threatening to recycle sewerage to be pumped back into the supply chain, I wonder if any of these sort of particles would make it through. Maybe it's time to run for the hills :blink:

Well then .... come on over 

Bellingen-River-620x378.jpg

You just have to get used to the sun in your eyes when afternoon  surfing  ... and a clean river ... and  we got mountains

... m o u n t a i n s  !

;)

[ and we got room for  another  Bindi 

989590-bindi-irwin.jpg

.... Ohhh ....    :huh:  - she grew up while I wasnt watching !

446589-24db1890-f0d7-11e2-af82-401bca060

Edited by Nungali

Oh great ... so now the ice freaks can just have a catheter connected to a tube that goes up the nose and into the stomach and stay permanently crazy   :wacko:

I doubt it - but these "ice freaks" are just an extension of the same problem you're discussing - the need people feel to chemically alter their brain to cope with living in modern society. It's not unique to addicts, or to one particular city or suburb, it's a greater sickness in Western civilization.

... and the  rent / house prices and .... and ....  

~  See how spoilt I have become !  

Yeah I know it isn't cheap, but I'd happily pay the extra money just to get away from the soul-sucking pit in the desert that is Adelaide. Being able to go to the beach and immerse yourself in the waves of the Pacific whenever you feel like it is worth the price of entry alone...

B ut ... but .... why Sydney for Gawds sake ?

Up here, I can go to beach 10 am Sunday morning, mid summer, and there isnt a footprint on it  some times ! 

Last time I tried that in Sydney at 8 am, I couldnt even park near any beaches (in the middle south area) I ended up going to Botany Bay and swimming in the water near the container terminal ... nice ! 

Adelaide eh ? 

I used to dream of going to Adelaide  .....  when I lived   .... near  Bordertown    (not even in Boredomtown  Bordertown    ;)

S1008-1419985681-20426-cows.jpg

We went to Bodertown once ... saw some girls there we did  

B ut ... but .... why Sydney for Gawds sake ?

Haha :P I'm not big on country life - if nothing else, I want to be in a major city for access to martial arts training. I've got friends and family there and spent my early childhood there, so I guess it's a bit of nostalgia factor. It's got a great music scene (a great "everything" scene really), and the alternatives are Brisbane (spent 10 years there and everything else aside, you'll never get me to go through another Qld summer) or Melbourne (which is like a bigger Adelaide with more hipsters).

I'm not sure, maybe I'll end up somewhere else in the long run, but Sydney has an energy to it that nowhere else in the country really matches, imo.

Edited by Aeran

I found an instructor here that  is direct 5 generations descendant from Bushi Matsamura !  And was taught by Kosei Nishihira

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishihira_Kosei

then an Aikido teachers started up a club , same style I had done before, so then I was doing akido,, Shorin ryu and kobudo with 6 weapons. 

and weirdly,  Mr Sugano , the Australian director of Aki kai , his family used to live here. I got some sword training off his son once (   showed me invaluable stuff he did! ) , after talking, he "Oh, I used to live 7km for you and went to school here . "  !   :blink:

There used to be world music festival here every year, and our community used to do the same, we have a large river flat area with a stage with 3 phase power.  I saw my fav youth band once at the local bush hall ( on undercover tour from Europe ) and also 3 visits from Sanguma - a  band from New Guinea ( tribal guys with bones through their noses dressed as Rastafarians paying log drums, electric guitars and electronic organ and synth   :)  ) 

Cant supply the nostalgia though ... and, although many seem to be trying ,  certainly  cant supply  hipsters like Sydney can - especially Bondi ! 

Edited by Nungali

Cant supply the nostalgia though ... and, although many seem to be trying ,  certainly  cant supply  hipsters like Sydney can - especially Bondi !

If you think the hipsters are bad in Sydney, avoid Melbourne at all costs :P

I'm curious, where do you actually live? Northern NSW somewhere?

Ah nice :) I have family a bit further north, brilliant area, amazing mountains and rainforests. I'd love to find a small cabin or something somewhere up there and rent it for a meditative retreat sometime down the road, but I'm not sure I could live so far from the city.

Damn, that's some amazing scenery. Forgot how vibrant the rainforest up that way is.

Been to Sydney a few times.

Most recent about four years ago.

Still remember listening to indigenous guy playing the Dij.

Haunting sound echoing across the bay.

At that moment,there was a realisation,prior to european invasion,that was how it was.

Dijerrdo sounds,canoes paddling,fish traps,huts,all around Sydney habor.

This was someone's home,trees growing all round the shores.

Nice place Sydney,totally sad for the people who once called it their home.