SonOfTheGods

Pine Pollen

“In short, pine pollen is a potent source of natural androgens, including testosterone androgen mimics, it is a great nutritional source, especially of amino acids, vitamins and minerals, and it is an excellent general tonic for the human body, useful in preventing or alleviating a number of conditions common to aging” – Stephen Harrod Buhner

We all want to feel more energy, sleep better, have a healthy libido plus that drive to live life to the fullest. Alot of that is connected to the amount of testosterone you have or as they call it in Chinese medicine, your Jing. Hard to believe that the yellow dust we see each spring time coating our cars and streets is actually one of nature’s premier superfoods and contains natural testosterone plus other androgens. I recently read the book Pine Pollen: Ancient Medicine for a Modern World by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Here are the 9 biggest takeaways I learned from him. Be sure to check out his book for more detail.

1. Testosterone Booster – Pine pollen contains human androgens like testosterone and by using it as a tincture you can boost your testosterone levels within minutes. For this reason testosterone has gained a lot of attention especially from men in middle age.  As testosterone levels start to dip using pine pollen as a therapy is a great way to maintain healthy energy levels and well being.
  2. Prostate Regulator – Pine pollen contains a sterol or plant steroid called Gibberlins which regulate the size of the prostate meaning that if it is too large it will shrink it and if it is too small it will increase its size.
  3. Raises SOD (superoxide dismutase) levels in heart, liver and brain - Superoxide dismutase is an enzyme that helps protect the body from free radicals by breaking down oxygen molecules in cells which might prevent damage to tissues.
  4. Potent Anti-inflammatory - Gibberlins are also responsible for pine pollens anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-tumour without affecting healthy cells.
  5. Stimulates Antiviral Activity – Due to two plant sterols – brassinolide and castasterone – pine pollen is strong anitviral against such viruses as Herpes 1, measels , area viruses plus others. “They have been found to be 10 to 18 times stonger than ribavirun – the main pharmaceutical antiviral”
  6. Helps rid the body of foreign chemicals – Pine pollen contains the plant sterol brassinosteroid brassinolide. “This has been found to enhance the function of liver microsomes which are crucial to the safe disposal of xenobiotics (foreign chemicals that end up in the body” – SB
  7. Improves fertility, erectile dysfunction and sperm count – Pine pollen contains the amino acid  Arginine which a precursor for nitric oxide which helps increase blood flow to the penis. Arginine also boost growth hormone, improves fertility and is spermigenic.
  8. Stimulates the Immune System – Pine pollen contains polysaccharides which are sugars that are like food for the immune system. and are also found in superherbs like Chaga mushroom
  9. Anti-aging –  Pine pollen contains DHEA. “DHEA has been shown to be associated with high levels of energy and well being, low obesity, enhanced libido and erectile ability, reduced depression, enhanced cognition, reduced death from coronary heart disease, improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance”  - SB

With all these amazing health benefits it surprises me pine pollen isnt as popular as Goji berries. As our environment and then our bodies become increasingly estrogen dominant pine pollen will be an powerful ally in living a hormonally balanced life. Some other interesting facts about pine pollen are:

•     You can collect pine pollen on your own quite easily and then make your own tincture. The season for collecting pollen from the catkins is usually March till May. The species used in the US and Canada is generally Pinus sylvestris and Pinu nigra
  •     Alternatively two companies we support that sell pine pollen are Surthrival and Harmonic Arts. I’ve tried tinctures from both companies. The Harmonic Arts one is alot more affordable but I found the taste a little stronger and harder to manage when held under the tongue – the good thing about Harmonic Arts is that the pine pollen is harvested locally each year and the alcohol tinctures they use are fair trade organic cane sugar derived. I talked with Yarrow the owner at Epic Fest and he said that they can barely keep the stuff in stock.  The Surthrival gold pine pollen tincture tastes good and is cell wall cracked. You will pay more for the Surthrival tincture
  •     For the testosterone benefits take it as a tincture – learn how to make a tincture 
  •     Cracking the cell wall is not necessary except …..Stephen found that when eating the pine pollen in large amounts that it wasn’t necessary to have the cell walls cracked. Also with tinctures it wasn’t necessary. If you are eating it though in small amounts as in a supplement form or pill form then it would be beneficial to have cell wall cracked pine pollen because one study showed it resulted a 20% higher absorption rate in mice. If you collect your own pine pollen and tincture it dont worry about cracking the cell wall.
  •     Ideal times to take it would be upon rising, again at noon and then just before bed
  •     It has been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years as natural health tonic and adaptogen. It was first mentioned by Shen Nong in The Pandects of Materia Medica over 2000 years ago.
  •     Pine pollen as a testosterone booster is great for men over 30 but probably not necessary for men under 30. It is still beneficial though as a nutritive.
  •     I’ve personally found pine pollen to be an exceptional superfood and have noticed an increase in energy and Jing. You have to try it for yourself though to really know the effects.

http://yogiadvisor.com/pine-pollen-9-reasons-to-take-natures-testosterone-booster/

• Like 5

How Will Taking Pine Pollen Benefit You? Helps You Manage Your Hormones with Natural Testosterone and other Androgens

This is the biggest reason for the gaining interest in Pine Pollen. In today's society it is essential to take a proactive approach in managing your hormone levels to achieve optimal health. Whether you are a man or a women you have two major forces working against you and your hormones. 

1. The toxic chemicals that pervade modern society know as xenoestrogens that behave like estrogen in your body. Along with clogging up your liver they start to move your body to an unbalanced state of estrogen dominance. 

2. Age - as we age naturally our hormones begin to change and testosterone declines. Unfortunately it is decreasing faster than ever according to this study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism

Pine Pollen contains the sterols (plant steroids) testosterone, androstenedione, DHEA  and androsterone. When you take pine pollen tincture you add these androgens into your body. This is one of a number of steps you can take to offset the estrogenic pressures listed above. One thing to remember is that since Pine Pollen is the type of herb that adds testosterone into the body it is important to make sure it isn't aromatized. You can do this with Nettle Root - See below. 

Pine Pollen Contains Natural MSM

One of my main supplements and game changer in how I feel has been MSM. MSM is an organic compound that contains sulfur. Sulfur is a key nutrient used for many processes in your body. It helps maintain healthy bones, skin, hair and nails plus increased joint flexibility, decreases stiffness and relieves Pain and swelling. 

Pine Pollen has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for:

Boosting energy levels

Treating Inflammation

Increasing Endurance and Stamina

Improving the Skin

Strengthening the Heart

Repairing the Liver

Relieving Rheumatic Pain

Increasing SOD levels - Super Oxide Dismutase (potent antioxidant) - in the heart, blood, liver and brain 

Regulating the Prostate 

Important Points to Consider

1. Stop the Aromatization of Testosterone with Nettle Root

Take Pine Pollen with Nettle Root - When taking pine pollen you want to ensure that the new testosterone stays "free" and doesn't aromatized (get locked up) and turned into bad estrogen. What happens is you add in the new plant testosterone from Pine Pollen then a protein called SHBG (Sex hormone binding globulin) can come along and arrest it making it inactive.  What's worse is that then it can be flipped into estradiol which is a bade estrogen.

Nettle Root contains beta-sitosterol which SHBG loves so it takes that first allowing the new testosterone to remain free. Nettle Root is an amazing herb all on it's own an in my opinion be part of your longevity plan anyway. Health benefits include,

• Urination problems related to prostate problems include nighttime urination, going to the bathroom too often, pain when urinating, not being able to urinate and bladder infection
• Joint problems (Alleviates Pain in Joints and Lower Back)
• Diuretic and astringent
• Reduces Inflammation in the Body 
• May reduce Inflammation in Enlarged Prostate 
• Treats Urinary Tract Infection

Read more about it here.

http://shenfoods.com/collections/pine-pollen-tinctures

• Like 1

Excellent topic.

There have been many interesting uses of Pine (various species) in cultivation, historically.

The most famous, but less interesting, one is self-mummification using certain pine resins.

City people can initially be allergic to pine pollen in the air because they have such little experience of it.

Living outdoors in the forest, we sleep in it and play in it all day.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

The Pine Cone, in Sumerian art, and the connection with the Pine Cone to the Pineal Gland, takes it another step towards the metaphysical balance as well IMO

• Like 3

I actually sell the tincture, everyone who has bought it reported the symptoms of significantly elevated testosterone levels and this was my experience also

However I also got a 2 week crash after I stopped taking the tincture

• Like 3

Re:

-----

"However I also got a 2 week crash after I stopped taking the tincture"

-----

Always consider homeostasis.

Whatever one does or takes, our bodily systems will attempt to balance - often by increasing secretions and processes that would do the opposite.

When we remove the initial impetus, the thing we were taking, it will take the homeostasis functions a while to adjust, and initially there will be a potentially great imbalance - depending on the extremity of what had been taken.

This is why psychiatric drugs actually make worse the same conditions they are supposed to treat.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

I've made the tincture myself after wildcrafting the pollen. It's a great adaptogen but you don't necessarily want to boost your testosterone levels. I found pine pollen too stimulating and I had to take a break after only a few days.

It's definitely a powerful medicine though.

• Like 1

Always consider homeostasis.    Whatever one does or takes, our bodily systems will attempt to balance - often by increasing secretions and processes that would do the opposite.

When we remove the initial impetus, the thing we were taking, it will take the homeostasis functions a while to adjust, and initially there will be a potentially great imbalance - depending on the extremity of what had been taken.

-VonKrankenhaus

Took a short cut and ordered some tincture.  Should be here in a few days.  I'm older, 51 and probably could use a lift.  Still.. wondering if there were any paths to avoiding homeostasis.  Maybe a few days on, few days off kind of thing or something similar playing with dosages. 

I assume I'll try a 1/2 (or 1/4?) dropper once or twice a day to begin.  Maybe put it under the tongue so some of it get into the blood stream without formal acidic digestion.  Often less is more.  Matter of fact with some things just a few drops in a glass of water can have an effect.

Whatcha all think? 

<if i like it, i'll make the next batch.  ordered from -https://www.etsy.com/listing/207403154/4-oz-wild-harvested-pine-pollen-tincture?ref=shop_home_active_4  (had a coupon and I liked the write up, how they waited 3 months and did a flash icying(??). >

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I'm usually a big fan of homeostasis but VonKrankenhaus's (&Orion) point is a good one.  You don't want to gain a benefit at the cost of a crash when you stop.  You don't want a new herb to become a crutch that knocks you lower when you stop taking it. 

As always I'm wondering if there's an intelligent sweet spot.  The best method of 'cycling'.  It might be the only way to find it is self experimenting.  I follow some people in the Self Hacking movement who do so many blood tests on themselves they wear special monitors.  I'm not that determined and its easy to fool oneself and let the placebo effects overly influence you. 

• Like 1

I've eaten some pine pollen right from the trees, not bothering to make a tincture or grind it and put it in supplements.  I don't think I had enough to notice much of a difference.  It's cool that a very yang part from a very yang tree can build testosterone and balance yang levels if they are too low.  Next year I will try to make a tincture with the harvest... I am 25 years old so I don't really need the testosterone though, but I like the adaptogenic properties and would probably use it in moderation for balancing.

Took a short cut and ordered some tincture. Should be here in a few days. I'm older, 51 and probably could use a lift. Still.. wondering if there were any paths to avoiding homeostasis. Maybe a few days on, few days off kind of thing or something similar playing with dosages.

I assume I'll try a 1/2 (or 1/4?) dropper once or twice a day to begin. Maybe put it under the tongue so some of it get into the blood stream without formal acidic digestion. Often less is more. Matter of fact with some things just a few drops in a glass of water can have an effect.

Whatcha all think?

<if i="" like="" it,="" i'll="" make="" the="" next="" batch.="" ordered="" from="" -https://www.etsy.com/listing/207403154/4-oz-wild-harvested-pine-pollen-tincture?ref=shop_home_active_4 (had a coupon and I liked the write up, how they waited 3 months and did a flash icying(??). >

When you take it...

Take Two droppers - allow it to stay under your tongue for a few minutes

You want it to be absorbed through the glands under the tongue - then swallow it

Stomach acid can kill some of it- this way you get the most out of the product

If you have any more questions- just ask brother

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2

I used to snack on pine needles and the little buds when I would do yardwork and long distance running. I can't do that now because I live in a place with few trees---most of which are not even pines.

Pine trees have HUGE auras

• Like 1

A long time ago I took some supplement, Pine..something.. not pine pollen but some kind of pine extract pill that was reputedly a  tonic especially good for circulation.  I was teaching childrens classes in Aikido at the time and had a very talented group of Phillippino's.   There were 5 of them cousins and brothers, great bunch, respectful and dedicated. 

The thing I did that wowed them the most probably wasn't my martial prowess but my ability to make snow balls- w/ my bare hands!   Growing up in a snowless place, they were amazed I could stick my bare hands into freezing white stuff repeatedly and make rock solid balls.   I think the pine extract helped w/ the stunt.  Being young and willing to risk minor frost bite to impress youngsters also did.  

I'm sure I was to them, what Wim Hof is to me. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I have been takin pine pollen for a couple of months now and have noticed a great effect. Has anyone made their own tincture from the powder?

I have been takin pine pollen for a couple of months now and have noticed a great effect. Has anyone made their own tincture from the powder?

I'd be interested in knowing too.  Course I don't even know which kind of 'Pine' tree this stuff is supposed to come from.

I get mine from Etsy- The Rural Apothecary $40 for 4 oz.  Expensive but it lasts. https://www.etsy.com/listing/252925448/pine-pollen-tincture-wild-harvested-from

They say "All of my pollen is tinctured in 100 proof grain alcohol.

I tincture my pollen for no less than 3 full months, up to a full 6 months. Before my pollen is tinctured, it goes through a quick freeze to crack the cell walls as well, again allowing more of the essential nutrients to tincture into the alcohol.

I tincture in all glass containers, no plastic or metal is involved in the tincture process.

My tincture is 1:1, I use half pine pollen to the same volume of alcohol to produce a strong tincture. I decided on 1 to 1 ratio to make a stronger tincture that gives more doses per 4 oz bottle."

Pine Pollen might need special knowledge.  I think I'll try to make a batch of Ginger Turmeric Pepper tincture.   Grind'em up, maybe leave the little pepper balls whole, fresh and sugared ginger, and leave'em soak in 100 proof vodka for a month or two, giving the small mason jar a swirl every now and then. 

• Like 1