Hello,

I was recently reading through Shadow Strategies of an American Ninja Master by Dr. Glenn Morris.  In the book he seems to present the origins of Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu in a chinese style called Spider Kung Fu.  He says that some of the Kamae (Basic Postures) in both Bujinkan and Spider Kung Fu are the same.  He also says that the style was a secret style used to protect chinese emporers.

I have  searched google, amazon and youtube and only found a few obscure references to this kung fu style in forums.  

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40274-Spider-Kung-Fu

This was probably the most helpful link i can find.

The reference is made in realtion to Y.C. Chiang who is a master of white crane kung fu and tai chi in the states -El Cerito California...

Now the man who taught Y.C. Chiang is the spider kung fu master but no mention of his name is made.
All that is mentioned is that this spider kung fu master who taught Y.C. Chiang was also the teacher of the last chinese emperor and was friends with Takamatsu sensai - Hatsumi's master (ninjutsu).

You may be able to contact Y.C. Chiang at this site:

http://www.wenwuschool.com/

An inspection of the linked site shows no references to spider kung fu. 

here are another link

http://forum.russbo.com/archive/index.php/t-1533.html

This speaks of a movie. 

I have seen this movie called Challenge of Death, which that evil guy have done spider kung fu fighting applications against Snake/Dragon. Its originally from Northern Shaolin Spider Kung Fu.

Does anyone know anything about this style of kung fu.  Are there any books, or dvds?  Any info about qigong forms or emphasis in training (internal vs external). 

Most of the links indicate that it is a shaolin form that is only taught to masters.  This may suggest that it emphasizes internal kung fu.

Heres the fight scene with the spider kung fu guy in challenge of death.

You can clearly see him using hira no kamae and shizen no kamae (Taijutsu).  Mostly theatrics.

Thank you

Love and Light

*edited to add link.

Edited by phore
  • Like 3

You may want to develop a relationship with spiders. Imbuing some of that "vibe" into your practice may be rewarding. From a magical perspective my understanding is that they are related with space, time, energetic cords/connections (universal lay lines between all beings), secrecy, subtly and cunning.

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

Hahahaha..horrible fight scene.  :)  Badly choreographed....

But they had good sound effects and rope tricks.

Ugh... why does this come up every few years on different boards? Not everything is on the Internet, not every style wants to sell their "secrets" to wider society. If this style really exists then you'd probably have to train with Y.C. Chiang's group for a long time and it would most likely just be something they only taught to advanced Shaolin students. Esoteric lines of the arts still exist, not everything is open. You can see videos of of my sigong but good luck learning how to do our style except in person. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the stuff floating around the US, particularly in gong fu and ninjitsu circles is strictly apocryphal or hagiographical.

• Like 7

Ugh... why does this come up every few years ...

Your post reminded me of that story of the advanced student challenging the Master.  Fifteen seconds and the student was on his back on the floor.

The Master said, "Yes, I taught you everything you know.  But I haven't taught you everythong I know."

• Like 4

Hello,

I was recently reading through Shadow Strategies of an American Ninja Master by Dr. Glenn Morris.  In the book he seems to present the origins of Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu in a chinese style called Spider Kung Fu.  He says that some of the Kamae (Basic Postures) in both Bujinkan and Spider Kung Fu are the same.  He also says that the style was a secret style used to protect chinese emporers.

I have  searched google, amazon and youtube and only found a few obscure references to this kung fu style in forums. 

This was probably the most helpful link i can find.

An inspection of the linked site shows no references to spider kung fu. 

here are another link

This speaks of a movie. 

Does anyone know anything about this style of kung fu.  Are there any books, or dvds?  Any info about qigong forms or emphasis in training (internal vs external). 

Most of the links indicate that it is a shaolin form that is only taught to masters.  This may suggest that it emphasizes internal kung fu.

Heres the fight scene with the spider kung fu guy in challenge of death.

You can clearly see him using hira no kamae and shizen no kamae (Taijutsu).  Mostly theatrics.

Ooooh, a secret style used to protect Chinese emperors?  Never heard that one before . . . okay, maybe once or twice.  Not saying it isn't true, but there are a lot of legends that include that same line.

I've never heard of a spider style, but there are thousands of obscure styles that were kept secret within families or boxing schools.  I definitely wouldn't be surprised to find that several 'spider' styles exist. 

You certainly couldn't go wrong by seeking out Y.C. Chiang.  He clearly states on his web site that he teaches Wild Goose Qigong, and that is a really nice form.  You'd get loads of benefit from learning it, and heck, maybe if you impress him, he'll give you all the spider secrets.

Behold, more poorly choreographed spider antics!

Edited by Green Tiger

On 7/17/2015 at 9:57 PM, phore said:

Hello,

I just finished re-reading the chapter in Path Notes called the Spider Prince. In there he also alludes to Spider Fu, worth a re-read. Additionally i just finished reading the first 2 books of the Dark Elf Trilogy from R.A. Salvatore. It's a fantasy book (Swords, Magick, Elf, Gnomes....etc) but so far it has quite a bit of that spider vibe....though it's portrayed in an overly dark and evil perspective IMO. Might be a fun read. 

Edited by OldSaint
  • Like 1

I'm thinking you guys know

too much about spider kung fu.

Sadly, now I'll have to kill you    ;)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Sadly now, I'll have to kill you    ;)

:ph34r:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Sadly now, I'll have to kill you    ;)

Lol, catch me if you can...i'll be staying to the shadows. :P

• Like 2

Stay away from that post-communist propaganda. Look for legitimate IMA traditions; ie Tai Chi, Xingyi, Ba Gua...

I remember this thread haha :D

Doc's logic and reasoning is not always straight forward, there are often intentional puzzles, and mis-direction. He liked to keep people on their toes, as well as see who was truly paying attention and doing their homework.

Just to be clear, many of the basic/foundational kamae in Bujinkan taijutsu can be found in all sorts of arts or activities the world over. It doesn't mean they are related! Unless of course hiraichimonji really is the secret kamae of football goal keepers around the globe!?

While there are some very rare and bizarre gongfu styles, if you think a little more laterally, you might get more traction understanding where Doc was coming from ;) (even if it wasn't specifically), you still might learn more than banging your head against the wall, and turn up something worthwhile and of interest, which is what he wanted anyway.

Hatsumi &Hayes made a joke about selling the secret Iguana style, just to see how many "true Iguana Masters" would pop up. 

With certificates. 

On 8/5/2017 at 9:34 AM, snowmonki said:

I remember this thread haha :D

Doc's logic and reasoning is not always straight forward, there are often intentional puzzles, and mis-direction. He liked to keep people on their toes, as well as see who was truly paying attention and doing their homework.

Just to be clear, many of the basic/foundational kamae in Bujinkan taijutsu can be found in all sorts of arts or activities the world over. It doesn't mean they are related! Unless of course hiraichimonji really is the secret kamae of football goal keepers around the globe!?

While there are some very rare and bizarre gongfu styles, if you think a little more laterally, you might get more traction understanding where Doc was coming from ;) (even if it wasn't specifically), you still might learn more than banging your head against the wall, and turn up something worthwhile and of interest, which is what he wanted anyway.

Funnny i was actually considering taking a Bujinkan intro class in a couple days. Looks like fun. :)