Tabtkat

Finding Discipline in Taoism

Hello, I'm Alex,

From the Pacific Northwestern US. While religiously and spiritually complicated I found the Tao De Jing and fell in love with the concept. Have been slowly moving towards the philosophy and disciplines in my life. Not having resources nearby decided to seek out an online community. Here I am.

I'm hoping this will be a good fit, and that I'll be a good addition to you.

Thanks for reading my welcome!

• Like 4

Hello Alex, and welcome to the forums!

Happy you found your way to us :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TDB team

Is there discipline in Daoism? That's an interesting angle to explore... I always considered it more spotanteous, but discipline is needed to balance that out. That's why I saw qi gong and taiji as invented, as strict disciplines to balance out the freedom of the pathless path.

• Like 1

I'd say that cultivation requires moment to moment awareness and discipline.

You can go astray at any moment, and for any reason... Hmm that hamburger looks appetizing etc...

Once you are achieved though, the need for discipline is likely gone.

You're living spontaneously and wouldn't do anything to hurt your deeper being, or against your or others interests.

It wouldn't occur to you anymore....

I may be wrong though .. haha.

• Like 1

Effortless through effort, that's a common theme I've seen yeah. I'm hoping at least there's some moments of reprieve to balance the constant vigilance!

Thank you all for the responses, it's been a great way to begin my journey here!

Is there discipline in Daoism? That's an interesting angle to explore... I always considered it more spotanteous, but discipline is needed to balance that out. That's why I saw qi gong and taiji as invented, as strict disciplines to balance out the freedom of the pathless path.

I'm not sure there's a ~necessary~ discipline to it, however... I think where I'm coming from is something said best within the text:

"Higher people hear of the Tao

They diligently practice it
Average people hear of the Tao
They sometimes keep it and sometimes lose it
Lower people hear of the Tao
They laugh loudly at it
If they do not laugh, it would not be the Tao"

My understanding is that it has more to do with an active participation and observance of the Tao. Then again, that's why I'm here, to further explore things with other like-minded people.

I'd say that cultivation requires moment to moment awareness and discipline.

You can go astray at any moment, and for any reason... Hmm that hamburger looks appetizing etc...

Once you are achieved though, the need for discipline is likely gone.

You're living spontaneously and wouldn't do anything to hurt your deeper being, or against your or others interests.

It wouldn't occur to you anymore....

I may be wrong though .. haha.

I definitely think you've got some good points there, and don't think you're necessarily wrong.

Effortless through effort, that's a common theme I've seen yeah. I'm hoping at least there's some moments of reprieve to balance the constant vigilance!

My background that inspired me to even look into this is T'ai Chi and Aikido. Both highly emphasize effortless action, or "wei wu wei" (Aikido calls it something else, but I don't recall what). My understanding is that both arts place high value in the mental philosophy encompassing life, not just the martial art itself. So, doing great things with minimal effort, etc. Here, more text!

"Plan difficult tasks through the simplest tasks

Achieve large tasks through the smallest tasks
The difficult tasks of the world
Must be handled through the simple tasks
The large tasks of the world
Must be handled through the small tasks
Therefore, sages never attempt great deeds all through life
Thus they can achieve greatness"

Thank you all, again.