Orion

Blood transfusions

Here's an interesting topic for practitioners of oriental medicine.

Blood transfusions.

Aside from all the modern stuff we know about blood donation, like screening for diseases, allergies, etc... I'm interested in discussing the more subtle ramifications.

Because blood not only contains acquired nutrition, but a person's jing, I'm wondering what receiving someone else's blood would do to a person energetically? Yes, on a physical level it's probably nourishing, but what does it mean to have another person's yin and essence flowing through you like that?

Is the impact of their essence temporary or does it permanently add something to your body?

From a modern science perspective all blood is more or less the same as long as it's the same type and cross-match, but I'm curious about the energetics.

• Like 1

Interesting question.   Course its not the kind of thing where we have much choice.  For instance, if you're lying bleeding after an accident you probably won't ask 'Who's blood is this from?'.   It can be possible to donate your own blood early for a planned operation, but it takes much effort and coordination for many people.

Some things are so subtle that if your not sensitive you won't notice.  Its a drop in a big cup, a pint in a few gallons.  Its unlikely to be as dramatic as  receiving a transplanted organ which can have psychic residue.   From the modern point of view, I've heard giving blood can be very healthy.  Its gives the body a chance to get some exercise generating some new fresh liquid vitale. 

Because blood not only contains acquired nutrition, but a person's jing, I'm wondering what receiving someone else's blood would do to a person energetically? Yes, on a physical level it's probably nourishing, but what does it mean to have another person's yin and essence flowing through you like that?

I believe blood only contains your qi, not jing.

That would perhaps require a semen transfusion? :D

Sorry, I didn't mean jing :)

Some colleagues of mine were saying that because the blood contains the shen (in relation to the vessels, and the heart), it's not uncommon for recipients of blood transfusions to have odd dreams relating to the donor.