daojones

Powering Up Lower Dan Tien

I've recently found I have felt more connected to my lower dan tien and root energy after doing physical exercises aimed at my core muscles.

I'm really wondering if I am actually strengthening the qi in my LDT or if I am increasing awareness. Perhaps both, although it would be great to better understand the composition.

In the past I had some mantak chia exercises that involved pressurizng the lower dan tien area (I cant remember the names), and was wondering if anyone could recommend some qi gong style exercises for strengthening the qi in my lower dan tien.

Am I mistaken in my hypothesis that strengthening the qi in my LDT will increase my ability to ground?

• Like 4

The ability to grounding comes when qi can move by intention in the limb. In term of Taoist inner work, it is when macro cosmic orbit function.

• Like 1

Lots of different ways to ground. 

1. Eat some meat 

2. Have Sex 

3. Go out side and stand on the earth 

4. Connect with the earth element 

5. Reverse the Gyan mudra so the palm faces the floor

....etc

For working specifically with the LDT, many Taoist practices focus on this area. I personally enjoy Stillness Movement and GOT. 

• Like 1

Lots of different ways to ground. 

For working specifically with the LDT, many Taoist practices focus on this area. I personally enjoy Stillness Movement and GOT. 

In Stillness-Movement when sitting in meditation the hands are placed resting against the dan tien, touching the body, palms facing just under the belly button.  That simple difference of moving the hands closer to the body seems to have a good effect LDT.

• Like 2

All this stuff seems really yin. I was thinking something more active/yang?

Grounding is trying to return energy to the yin centers- simple as that. Being more yang is kinda counterproductive but sex and eating meat are definitely more yang than other things mentioned. If you want a moving exercise or something I recommend a lot of kicks.

All this stuff seems really yin. I was thinking something more active/yang?

Shaking.  Getting your whole body to vibrate, especially if you can position yourself so your heels slightly bounce repeatedly off the floor.  It good to start with shaking the hands, getting the wrists and elbows in on it, then bigger til it includes the knees and becomes a bit apelike.    In Ki-Aikido kept it at the hand level w/ small movement.  In KAP they liked it whole body, big shake. 

hard slapping

Yes, this isn't meant as a joke, slapping up and down your arms, torso, down your legs is practiced as a warm up in a couple of Qi Gong regimens.  Wakes you up and is said to drive the chi into the bones. 

• Like 4

Yes, this isn't meant as a joke, slapping up and down your arms, torso, down your legs is practiced as a warm up in a couple of Qi Gong regimens.  Wakes you up and is said to drive the chi into the bones. 

Yes. And you can slap more specifically the LDT. And do it hard. Or have someone else do it for you.

And yeah, shaking kicks ass!

Aye the slapping is good and also gets one used to being hit. Sihing hit me with a burning palm a little while back and it really helped my shoulder out. 

maintaining all your focus on the LDT area, use ONLY THOSE MUSCLES TO BREATHE.

The result is a VERY CONTROLLED inhale, retain, exhale, deprive cycle.

Be sure to RELAX and AUTOMATE every couple "reps" of this controlled breathing, just to give your abs a break because if done right, one or two should wear you out big time.

OH, i should mention, you are also aiming to breathe very slowly, as if not at all....   and FEEL the Qi fill your LDT, rather than having any intent to inhale oxygen... think of it as drinking Qi with your LDT, but by forced and controlled lower abdominal expansions and contractions.

• Like 1