Karl

Hello everyone

I have been an AYP practitioner since 2008. In the last few months I have subscribed to a course on Aristotelian logic and have been studying both the trivium and quadrivium.

If anything focuses the mind it is the study and practice of logic. However it has lead me to question many of the assertions used in AYP practice. I have discovered that there is very little latitude to question the logic of these assertions.

I was one of the moderators of the forum, but found that I could not continue doing so as it seemed I would be effectively censoring my own posts. It was impossible to have an open discussion without heated defence of the terms being used.

I remembered a few past members who had moved across here for similar reasons and noticed that the thread on AYP remained stubbornly active and that participants seemed far more questioning and pragmatic.

Whilst I will continue to remain a member of AYP and believe it does have an 'early worth' ( certainly for me it is unlikely I would have begun any form of serious practice without it ) it seems I've reached the limits of its usefulness and am unable to subscribe to the acolytes fashion with which it seems to be defended.

Perhaps here I will find a more conducive home for airing questions and advance my practices beyond their present condition.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome. You are accepted. Glad to have you as a member and please do not hesitate to air questions here as someone is sure to have an answer, not to mention an opinion.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Chang and the TTB team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been an AYP practitioner since 2008. In the last few months I have subscribed to a course on Aristotelian logic and have been studying both the trivium and quadrivium.

If anything focuses the mind it is the study and practice of logic. However it has lead me to question many of the assertions used in AYP practice. I have discovered that there is very little latitude to question the logic of these assertions.

I was one of the moderators of the forum, but found that I could not continue doing so as it seemed I would be effectively censoring my own posts. It was impossible to have an open discussion without heated defence of the terms being used.

I remembered a few past members who had moved across here for similar reasons and noticed that the thread on AYP remained stubbornly active and that participants seemed far more questioning and pragmatic.

Whilst I will continue to remain a member of AYP and believe it does have an 'early worth' ( certainly for me it is unlikely I would have begun any form of serious practice without it ) it seems I've reached the limits of its usefulness and am unable to subscribe to the acolytes fashion with which it seems to be defended.

Perhaps here I will find a more conducive home for airing questions and advance my practices beyond their present condition.

Thought this worth quoting...

Thought this worth quoting...

Hasn't changed any. The way in which we engage is just different. I challenge and expect challenge in return, that's how I learn. That wasn't allowed on AYP, it was their way or the highway. Things I'm pointed at I review critically, a lot of the learning is done within the argumentation. Some of the challenges I receive are quite aggressive, this is also part of the learning. Just because you don't persuade me to take your ideology should not be seen as a waste of that effort for either of us.

I've had several revelations here already from these interactions.

• Like 1

Following my recent-and somewhat confusing-suspension I have decided that the best option is to discontinue posting and become a lurker :-) ( I can get some more effort put into my book instead of hanging around here-but I contend it's been useful research which justified the effort ;-) ). I will remain available on PM as I promised to provide some support.

All the best to all the seekers. May you find your home.

• Like 3

Well that's too bad.  it was just a 2 days suspension.  Many have been there, you seem to have experienced something similar in your old forum.  You shouldn't take it so hard.  Your interactions tend to be mostly argumentative, which is not so bad.  I think the only person to truly 'best' you is Innergigong who could match your dogged persistence.   Whereas most tend to drop the argument after seeing a possible infinite loop. 

long babble short.. your comments are welcome. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

You know you're a handful and cause work for us here, so you should expect attention from the moderators, that's just the way it is. Small suspensions like that are uitilized to give staff a little breathing space to discuss issues.

• Like 1