dwai

Psychological reaction to energetic work

So we are far more aware of the energetic effects of energy body work and visitations. In wake of the Jeff thread I thought I'd highlight some of my personal observations that might help a few who are struggling like I have done.

After I started with my current teacher, who initiated me energetically (one could call it a shaktipat; though my Sifu says he just connected with my Dan Tiens)...and visits his students (myself included) energetically, I struggled with strong feelings of ambivalence and irrational anger (sometimes directed towards my teacher).

Luckily for me I soon realized that it was a result of being affected by his energy - and that my ego was struggling to stay in control, making up stories and raging and ranting. It was a gradual process but once I stopped fighting the energy and the change (and this struggle is not entirely volitional - because intellectually the training was exactly what I wanted) much started being revealed to me. I'd venture to say exponential growth in my understanding - ie felt psychosomatic knowledge...yet it is as if that which is becoming apparent and clear is so fundamental and simple that it befuddles the "intellect".

Edited by dwai
  • Like 8

There isn't any real separation between jing, qi and shen and so any energy interaction is liable to produce mental and emotional reactions.  This really is why people who start by trying to conserve energy as if it's like gasolene get into trouble.  The three are a spectrum.  People are attracted to energy work because they see quick results ... but without cultivating yourself in terms of ethics and conduct and also in terms of understanding and wisdom ... it's like trying to fix an old TV by increasing the voltage supply.

• Like 9

There isn't any real separation between jing, qi and shen and so any energy interaction is liable to produce mental and emotional reactions. This really is why people who start by trying to conserve energy as if it's like gasolene get into trouble. The three are a spectrum. People are attracted to energy work because they see quick results ... but without cultivating yourself in terms of ethics and conduct and also in terms of understanding and wisdom ... it's like trying to fix an old TV by increasing the voltage supply.

And hence some extreme reactions to energy based activities by some people...that's why the old world perspective on this type of training (traditional system of sticking with a teacher and a system - ethics and conduct that goes with it ... like you put it)

• Like 2

Perhaps your anger was rational towards your teacher

It's a tricky area because for example psychotherapists often go through periods of stiff resistance and defensiveness from their clients until breakthroughs and healing occur, so if the person backed out when it became uncomfortable the healing may never occur, but then where is the line when it becomes abusive. For the person going through it it can be hard to see where that line is so there needs to be some sort of intuitive trust with the person who is going through it with you that underneath there is love.

Energy work doesn't necessarily have to elicit such responses though, with the person I work with at the moment she goes very deep into my energy and most intimate issues without provoking any anger or hostility, which is probably down to the energy she works with being so pure and full of heart. I have been there with others though where my defensive reactions have kicked in when they try do energy work with me. 

• Like 1

Luckily for me I soon realized that it was a result of being affected by his energy - and that my ego was struggling to stay in control, making up stories and raging and ranting. It was a gradual process but once I stopped fighting the energy and the change (and this struggle is not entirely volitional - because intellectually the training was exactly what I wanted) much started being revealed to me. I'd venture to say exponential growth in my understanding - ie felt psychosomatic knowledge...yet it is as if that which is becoming apparent and clear is so fundamental and simple that it befuddles the "intellect".

Very nice you have realized this...  some of my experiences are very similar.  Thanks for sharing  :)

• Like 1

Perhaps your anger was rational towards your teacher

It's a tricky area because for example psychotherapists often go through periods of stiff resistance and defensiveness from their clients until breakthroughs and healing occur, so if the person backed out when it became uncomfortable the healing may never occur, but then where is the line when it becomes abusive. For the person going through it it can be hard to see where that line is so there needs to be some sort of intuitive trust with the person who is going through it with you that underneath there is love.

Energy work doesn't necessarily have to elicit such responses though, with the person I work with at the moment she goes very deep into my energy and most intimate issues without provoking any anger or hostility, which is probably down to the energy she works with being so pure and full of heart. I have been there with others though where my defensive reactions have kicked in when they try do energy work with me.

In this case I know It is so. What I felt for 15 days after he initiated me (and still do intermittently) was deep love for everyone and everything and a complete lack of judging and "negativity".

But he also warned me that when people go to teachers who can "clean you up" they might feel bad initially because the junk that's deep inside comes out and gets flushed out. As it does it evokes emotions the correlate with it.

• Like 4

In this case I know It is so. What I felt for 15 days after he initiated me (and still do intermittently) was deep love for everyone and everything and a complete lack of judging and "negativity".

But he also warned me that when people go to teachers who can "clean you up" they might feel bad initially because the junk that's deep inside comes out and gets flushed out. As it does it evokes emotions the correlate with it.

With such clearing, there a various depths that different teachers may be capable of working at. Some work at a more conscious mind level, others can go deeper into the subconscious. A teacher does not really clean you up, but more helps one to access the issues/fears at a deeper level. Such issues/fears are stored as energy structures in the energy body, if one lets go/releases the it, the resulting energy structure breaks down and the energy/flow frees up (expansion). Since it is often below conscious awareness, if one does not let go of the exposed issue/fear, they instead feel irritated/uncomfortable and often associate it with the teacher.

• Like 1

With such clearing, there a various depths that different teachers may be capable of working at. Some work at a more conscious mind level, others can go deeper into the subconscious. A teacher does not really clean you up, but more helps one to access the issues/fears at a deeper level. Such issues/fears are stored as energy structures in the energy body, if one lets go/releases the it, the resulting energy structure breaks down and the energy/flow frees up (expansion). Since it is often below conscious awareness, if one does not let go of the exposed issue/fear, they instead feel irritated/uncomfortable and often associate it with the teacher.

there's more to it,

but the only thing i want to comment on is that what you call " issues/fears" stored in the energybody.

These  are not only stored in the energybody but can also be lodged in the flesh. there it produces pain/stiffness/illness , thereby keeping the ' issue'  even more firmly in place. Something that tends to be forgotten.

• Like 3

there's more to it,

but the only thing i want to comment on is that what you call " issues/fears" stored in the energybody.

These  are not only stored in the energybody but can also be lodged in the flesh. there it produces pain/stiffness/illness , thereby keeping the ' issue'  even more firmly in place. Something that tends to be forgotten.

Agreed regarding the physical body, Issues can directly effect the body (disease, cancer, etc...) It is also very common for issues to purge through the body as skin disorders (rashes, etc..)

• Like 1

This is more at a subconscious level I think. My rational mind and intuitive side made me realize what was happening. Though I'm sure my teacher felt it too. So one Morning after practice I apologized to him for the junk in my head. He knew exactly what I was referring to and then explained the effects of cleansing. And he said it's not even like active "cleaning". it can happen just upon contact...

• Like 3

This is more at a subconscious level I think. My rational mind and intuitive side made me realize what was happening. Though I'm sure my teacher felt it too. So one Morning after practice I apologized to him for the junk in my head. He knew exactly what I was referring to and then explained the effects of cleansing. And he said it's not even like active "cleaning". it can happen just upon contact...

yep, i do recognize that.

In the beginning, when I was new in the dojo... that i could be so angry at him, without there being any reason...stupid :blush:  ...because he's so good, compassionate and helping me with shit nobody else ever has been able to help me with. Only now do i start to understand whats happening :D

Looking back on that time...it was as if all my vulnerabilities, that i had kept so nicely closed of for the rest of the world...were made bare to everybody ( which was not true, but bare to him...)so maybe the anger was triggered by fear...

and indeed he knows.... some time ago he was telling us many people get angry with him...and ways he deals with that.... 

But he can also do it on the conscious level, some time ago he did that to me  :P ( again) only this time i saw it pretty quick...and thanked him for it   :D

and about ' clearing up' ...eh, imho teacher can clear up blockages for you, if he so chooses. But mostly he chooses not to, it's better to do that by yourself. but just being in his presence makes it easier to become more clean.

but last time i was with him i could feel how he opened up two channels in my back, just like that...

I then think: thank you, how much work and time did he spare me because he deemed it important that those channels now get open...

-----

in general, my reaction to energetic work, as a beginner, after almost two years is one of deep gratitude

• Like 3