thelerner

Breakfast

Thought this might fit in here.  General thoughts on breakfast as well as recipes. 

I'm usually not too hungry at breakfast.  I usually eat light and I'll have a cup of coffee w/ a little milk and pumpkin spices in it.  From what I've heard its probably better to wait a while after getting up to drink coffee.

Lately I've been exploring savory oatmeal w/ fried egg.

I'll put about a half cup of water, teaspoon of ghee and savory spice mix (Florence mix), maybe some garlic powder into bowl and nuke it for 45 secondsish.  Then add some old fashion toasted oatmeal, nuke it another minute or minute and a half.  While doing that fry up an egg in some 1/2 teaspoon of ghee, put some salt and pepper on it and tilt the pan so it doesn't spread too much.

Then slide the sunny side up egg over the savory oatmeal.  Done in 4 or 5 minutes.  The creamy yolk adding nicely to the oats.   Two secrets- one a small portion of oats, two- just before the egg is done, putting on some high heat for a few seconds to caramelize the bottom of the egg.  Putting the oats into hot water/ghee/spice keeps there integrity better, they don't end up as mushy. 

• Like 2

My physical make-up loves eggs first thing in the morning. If I don't eat eggs (let's say I skip or rarely eat cereal or whatever), I just don't have the energy I need.    

Years ago, I read the blood type diet and have wondered since then how much that influences us... but eggs and coffee do me wonders in the morning :)

• Like 1

These days I'm willing to spend $3.50 to 4.50 on good eggs.  Ones that are free range-ish and have higher omega profiles.  Even in the $4 dollar range its still about 30 cents an egg, quite a bargain for such a nutritional motherload. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I don't often eat a big meal for breakfast often.  When I do, I like making vegetables sauteed and then add a few eggs to it.  Sometimes I use tempeh instead of eggs.  Very filling and delicious.  It's much cheaper to make food than eat out, even if you are using high quality produce.

A lot of days I will have fruit with nut butter or nuts in the morning and eat bigger meals later.  Apples and bananas with peanut butter is a go-to snack that is healthy, cheap, and easy.

I also like oatmeal a lot.  Lately, I have found out that I like some other grains, millet for instance, more than oats in terms of how it effects my energy levels.  Oatmeal has some very minor sedative properties, not good early in the day I think, compared to millet which does not.  With these cereals I like to go the sweet route usually, with fruit and nuts and honey or maple syrup.  Sometimes I add yogurt if I can.

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 1

If it's a day of mental or physical labor, then my body will start eating itself by like 10 am if I don't have a balanced macronutrient breakfast...my abdomen starts making lots of noises, feel the brain drain, don't have energy to do normal tasks, etc. I've tried lighter breakfasts for the sake of spirituality, just having toast or congee or oatmeal on its own...I didn't have health or normalcy until I added back in the protein and fat. So an easy breakfast for me is to scramble 3 eggs (protein) in a large coffee mug then microwave it until they're about to go over the edge...put some cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, maybe some hot sauce on top of the eggs...and also have 100% whole wheat toast (carb) with butter (fat). Could also take an orange and juice it to drink.

Another breakfast I've done, if I want to be fancy...also have done this for other meals besides breakfast...I baked a yellow sweet potato (carb) (any kind of sweet potato would work), sliced down the center when done and put butter (fat) on it...with soft-to-medium boiled eggs (protein) on the side, broken so their yolks are running out...salt and pepper over all. Just simple ingredients. Takes like an hour to bake a sweet potato though.

Lately I'm experimenting with this homemade cream of wheat: fresh grind some whole wheat berries so they're fairly coarse, the night before. Put them in twice as much water to soak (to reduce phytic acid), and cover overnight for 12 hours. In the morning, put that on the stove and also pour some milk in there. Cook until creamy, not soupy, consistency...then scoop into a bowl. Put a big dab of butter on top, with some salt and brown sugar to taste. I'm not sure how this one would work on a hard physical or mental labor kind of day, because there isn't a separate source of protein (maybe there is enough in the wheat with milk?)...but it's kept me full past lunch time on other days.

Lately I've also been wanting to make: whole wheat toast, butter, fish roe...then have a little bit of yogurt with some berries in it on the side. Haven't ordered the right kind of roe yet to see how it would work. I think keta salmon would work, judging by how people describe its flavor.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1