thelerner

in My Humble opinion- practices everyone should do

Just wondering if there were any practices you guys thought every should do, or at least be exposed to.

I think everyone should have some sort of chanting practice, whether its sanskrit vowels or opera in the shower.  There's something about making noise, finding the right vibration, easier in the shower, links the physical and the spiritual, like breathing exercising. 

I'd also recommend a listening to and finding a favorite Yoga Nidra audio.  There are many of them available for free.  They're an old practice that taps into quite a few modern theories.  An excellent way to get deeply relaxed, into the body asleep, mind awake phenomena.   Here's a link to a few downloads http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/downloads

• Like 3

I think the world would be a much saner place if everyone did the work of Byron Katie for a while, even just a few weeks. I'm not saying it would lead to mass enlightenment or even much spiritual unfoldment, but it is a very fast way to show someone how easily we are all deluded by our own beliefs and thoughts and shows to some extent the incapacity of thought to investigate truth.

• Like 6

Shit! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll pack-in jnana yoga immediately!

The simple principle the work of Byron Katie points out is that for for just about every thought you believe to be true, upon investigation the complete opposite is also equally true. It is a very simple process to try if anyone doesn't agree with what I am saying.

I don't know exactly what the path of jhana yoga takes, but I assume it points to that which is beyond the intellect even if that is where it starts. 

• Like 2

I'm basically familiar with her approach Jetsun.

I was just pulling your leg a bit and pointing out that the yoga of the intellect is extremely useful.

• Like 1

More seriously.

The Bhagavad Gita points out that in addition to the intellect, there need to be components of Love/Devotion, of Right Action, and of investigation of the body.

There are hundreds of possibilities and getting a couple of the right ones for you is the trick.

Edited by gatito

Shamatha, mindfulness of breathing particularly. I can't think of any path where more samadhi wouldn't be helpful, it really is a launchpad into so much more. People not interested in deep cultivation can still massively benefit from a bit of calm and clarity too.

• Like 2

I know it sounds boring but I would advocate reading as much as possible on every subject and practice you are interested in ...until you have got the gist of it or deeper if it really resonates.

BTW Gatito I am reading Ramakrishna Puligandla's Jnana-Yoga 'the Way of Knowledge'.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1

Perhaps you could lend it to Jeff afterwards?

I'm all for spontaneous acts of generosity ... 

• Like 1

Providing the recipient has given informed consent of course..

Consent is not necessary in the library of the Uber-mind.

Salsa and/or Tango or any dance in pairs everyone should do, that would solve a lot of social anxiety problems. Public speaking and /or performing, that too.

• Like 5

I think °everyone° should do something moving and something still.  Some self-massage or stretching.  Everyone should consider the way other areas of life -- diet, exercise, work, relationships -- interplay with spiritual practice and consider making changes as necessary.

• Like 1

I think °everyone° should do something moving and something still.  Some self-massage or stretching.  Everyone should consider the way other areas of life -- diet, exercise, work, relationships -- interplay with spiritual practice and consider making changes as necessary.

No sex then.

Practices  everyone should do ?   Hmmmmm .... 

Sending donations to my paypal account

(it will bring you good karma :)

• Like 4

...only with informed consent..

...which can never be the case where there is an imbalance of power - such as a teacher/student relationship...

e.g.

mpnews.com.au/2015/01/20/secret-sex-shakes-yoga-school/

theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/jul/01/lama-sex-abuse-sogyal-rinpoche-buddhist

1. Some kind of meditation/exercise that circulates and alchemically stirs the energy of the body 

2. Some kind of stretching to keep the body supple and toned (I like sun salutations).

3. Some kind of stillness meditation for calming and focusing the mind

• Like 2