林愛偉

Coming to NY in Jan-Feb (already passed)

Greetings Everyone,

I have some news on my plans for next year. As you all know, some of you, I have been planning on

establishing a cultivation center. It has been 17ys in idea, and the last few months things have been coming to fruition.

In late Jan-mid Feb of next yr 2008, I will be coming to NY to see family, students and friends as well as look at land upstate NY to build on. Briefly, this center will not be commercial based.

While I am there in the NY area, mainly Staten Island, I was thinking on hosting a group meeting for cultivation practice. Question and answer lecture, mantra study and cultivation of meditation and Qigong. I do not have a big enough place for the meet, but I can prepare one, possibly.

If any one is in the tri-state area or somewhat close, I would love to travel and work with the group for a weekend. Donations are good, but the whole weekend is basically free of charge. I am not looking to make a self-profit.

Otherwise, I'll be in NY from Jan. 17 or 18th till about Feb. 20th.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in creating a group for it. No prerequisites for it at all, and one doesn't need to believe in Buddhist or Daoist teachings to participate. It is not a religious meet whatsoever, and there will be an open forum basically for answering all types of questions on anything which the person desires to ask.

I am thinking both days of Sat and Sun. 6-8 hrs both days for various times of meditation, recitation, mantra study, Qigong practice, question and answer lecture. Of course with breaks in between, but it will be a strict two days of honest and intense cultivation.

Please email me personally with ideas on where we can set up a group and meet, as well as requests for topics and the like. I will then email and post information regarding what will be cultivated in terms of mantra, meditation, and Qigong.

Note: This will not be a time for ability demonstrating, for no one should come with the mind of commercializing this event.

email: [email protected]

Please let me know before december if there will be a place available, and atleast before Jan. on how many people would like to be attending.

I will be posting updates in this thread as time goes on.

Looking forward to meeting the lot of you all. And remember, this is free...if there are any donations, (any,) they will directly go towards building a center upstate NY. Unfortunately, they are not tax deductible, for I have not yet established a non-profit org. Its hard to do while I'm in China..lol

Peace and Blessings...

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

I live in Queens, so i will surely come and participate, but know too little of NY to know where you may want to do this.

Excellent! I'm not sure, as my residence is Staten Island when I visit, and then move back in the summer. But, if there is a distance to travel, you are more than welcome to car pool or bus it with me..I won't be driving though :D

I have thoughts of renting space if no one has a place available and big enough.

The group should be at most 20 -30 people who bring their own towels and yoga mats, and sitting pillows..haha

Its an open invite too...imagine we get 50 ...? hahaha unbelievable ^_^

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

I might be in NJ at the time, and NYC is my old stomping ground... but whatcha gonna do about I feel like teaching you instead of learning from you? :D

By the way, do you speak Cantonese or Mandarin? If Mandarin, I'd love to keep learning that, that's one thing I know I'm fit to learn more than teach. If someone was to create some immersion-learning environment, I'd love that. And also someone to check on my pronunciation -- my first tutor, a Chinese guy who wasn't really a teacher, much less a phonetics expert, would simply roll on the floor laughing from time to time in response to the way I pronounced this or that word, but couldn't quite explain what it is I'm supposed to do in order to get it right.

Edited by Taomeow

I might be in NJ at the time, and NYC is my old stomping ground... but whatcha gonna do about I feel like teaching you instead of learning from you? :D

By the way, do you speak Cantonese or Mandarin? If Mandarin, I'd love to keep learning that, that's one thing I know I'm fit to learn more than teach. If someone was to create some immersion-learning environment, I'd love that. And also someone to check on my pronunciation -- my first tutor, a Chinese guy who wasn't really a teacher, much less a phonetics expert, would simply roll on the floor laughing from time to time in response to the way I pronounced this or that word, but couldn't quite explain what it is I'm supposed to do in order to get it right.

I'll sit patiently and soak in what you have to say :) hehe

I'll be around for about 3wks. I'm sure we can sit over tea and work on some pronunciation. Do you have a book? :)

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

guess i'll be planning a trip to new york.

and i don't know what i'll have, but i definitely want to contribute to the cultivation center.

i'll be writing you.

sounds interesting :)

i'm in NJ so i would really like to come participate and learn.

as for where to hold it, i have no idea.

i would offer my house (my parents would love the idea) but theres not much space inside, and even though we have a good backyard it will be freezing at that time.

sounds interesting :)

i'm in NJ so i would really like to come participate and learn.

as for where to hold it, i have no idea.

i would offer my house (my parents would love the idea) but theres not much space inside, and even though we have a good backyard it will be freezing at that time.

Great!

hehe We have time. I will post a place by the begin. of December. But it should be warm..hahaha

guess i'll be planning a trip to new york.

and i don't know what i'll have, but i definitely want to contribute to the cultivation center.

i'll be writing you.

Just come! When people get together, that should lay the foundation of the teachings, so that is better than money for the most part, because if there were no teachings, there would be no center to host them..hahaha

Just come with tea...hahaha I'll bring some from here :D

We'll need tea for the meditation.

Email me :-D

Peace,

Lin

good trip. health and happiness to you and your family in NY.

email noted. you seem like a bright spot in the future.

>>>bows<<<

Aiwei,

Have a Safe Journey. Blessings on your endeavors.

Spectrum

>>>bows<<<

Blessings to you too ^_^

Just come with tea...hahaha I'll bring some from here :D

Bring some of the good stuff! :) It's hard to get over here... :(

Bring some of the good stuff! :) It's hard to get over here... :(

I can bring some tea...but everyone needs to bring their own cups.. serious :)

A small group is no problem, but if by december, jan, we have more than the cups in my home, people have to bring their own...lol

Peace,

Lin

P.S.- I would buy paper cups, but that's just being wasteful :P

Maybe styrofoam...you can use it for ...forever.... :lol: JUST KIDDING

I can bring some tea...but everyone needs to bring their own cups.. serious :)

A small group is no problem, but if by december, jan, we have more than the cups in my home, people have to bring their own...lol

Peace,

Lin

P.S.- I would buy paper cups, but that's just being wasteful :P

Maybe styrofoam...you can use it for ...forever.... :lol: JUST KIDDING

i'll bring at least 9 extra cups. cute ones, too! :lol:

i'll also bring some amazing tea. (i drink upwards of 5 pots every day.)

some stuff that'll change your life. you'll see.

;)

you all speak of tea as if it's something mystical. am i missing something? my tea is just green-tea flavored water...

In late Jan-mid Feb of next yr 2008, I will be coming to NY to see family, students and friends as well as look at land upstate NY to build on. Briefly, this center will not be commercial based.

While I am there in the NY area, mainly Staten Island, I was thinking on hosting a group meeting for cultivation practice. Question and answer lecture, mantra study and cultivation of meditation and Qigong. I do not have a big enough place for the meet, but I can prepare one, possibly.

Wow, I would love to learn from you in person Lin Aiwei. The timing is kinda bad for me, but I will see what I can do.

i'll bring at least 9 extra cups. cute ones, too! :lol:

i'll also bring some amazing tea. (i drink upwards of 5 pots every day.)

some stuff that'll change your life. you'll see.

;)

You've piqued my curiosity Hundun. What sort of teas do you prefer. I've been known to drink the odd cup of oolong :P. The other day the lady at the chinese market got excited when she noticed I was buying some kuan yin. She said she that's what everyone drinks back home.

You've piqued my curiosity Hundun. What sort of teas do you prefer. I've been known to drink the odd cup of oolong :P. The other day the lady at the chinese market got excited when she noticed I was buying some kuan yin. She said she that's what everyone drinks back home.

i'm a big fan of some ti kuan yins. light and nutty. drives some of my students crazy, though.

i'm a huge fan of white tea, but it's an expensive, delicate tea, and most people don't make it correctly.

but i have a few up my sleeve that i won't share here; you'll just have to show up and find out.

B)

It looks like we will have a good group for starters.

I posted what I would be sharing with everyone...I can be more descriptive now..lol

Mantra explanation; through the commentary by Ven. Master Xuan Hua, cultivation and memorization: Great Compassion Mantra.

Chan sessions throughout the whole day! YAY...haha 30-40 mins. each sitting with explanation of postures both physical and mental.

Open question and answer lecture.

Qigong: stances and Yi Jin Jing, and various spontaneous cultivation. Sitting cultivation as well.

It would be good to make it a whole day thing for both days, at least 6-8 hours :D

I'll email everyone the info on the mantra after I type it up, and then you all print one out for yourself.

More info to come ^_^ Also I was looking at the weekend of the 26th and 27th.

How does this date fit for everyone?

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

More info to come ^_^ Also I was looking at the weekend of the 26th and 27th.

How does this date fit for everyone?

Peace,

Lin

that's more than enough notice. i should be able to make it work.

never been to new york before. should be fun.

you all speak of tea as if it's something mystical. am i missing something? my tea is just green-tea flavored water...

from the sounds of it, you're missing everything!

:lol:

some of my best qigong practices is sitting on a cushion and enjoying a cup of tea in silence. every breath, every moment counts. it's a time to drink in every seemingly minute experience and to feel gratitude. drinking deep. drinking life, not just tea.

the whole process of making the tea, the correct temperature, steeping for the correct amount of time. holding the cup. warming the hands. taking in the aroma. pouring the tea. sipping it. letting it sit on the tongue for a moment, then swallowing it, and feeling the warmth as it moves down to the tantien. feeling the body as the subtle essence radiates through you...

drinking tea can be poetry. especially good tea.

i can't do tea bags anymore; i can taste the paper of the bag and it ruins the tea. only loose leaf for me.

from the sounds of it, you're missing everything!

:lol:

some of my best qigong practices is sitting on a cushion and enjoying a cup of tea in silence. every breath, every moment counts. it's a time to drink in every seemingly minute experience and to feel gratitude. drinking deep. drinking life, not just tea.

the whole process of making the tea, the correct temperature, steeping for the correct amount of time. holding the cup. warming the hands. taking in the aroma. pouring the tea. sipping it. letting it sit on the tongue for a moment, then swallowing it, and feeling the warmth as it moves down to the tantien. feeling the body as the subtle essence radiates through you...

drinking tea can be poetry. especially good tea.

i can't do tea bags anymore; i can taste the paper of the bag and it ruins the tea. only loose leaf for me.

the tea ceremony sounds quite romantic. i've been interested for a while to learn it, hopefully we can both make it to the meet and you can show me :)

is there tea ceremonies in chinese culture too? i only know of japanese

the tea ceremony sounds quite romantic. i've been interested for a while to learn it, hopefully we can both make it to the meet and you can show me :)

is there tea ceremonies in chinese culture too? i only know of japanese

The Chinese tea ceremony differs from person to person. It seems the Japanese have stuck to the meditative art form more so than the Chinese. For China now, everything is for performance...anything for face. So the inner beauty is kind of lost.

Peace,

Lin

that's more than enough notice. i should be able to make it work.

never been to new york before. should be fun.

WOW, this will be great. Even if it is just a small group. Best experiences and deep soaking in of good teachings are in small groups.

Peace,

Lin

I definitely prefer loose tea. I use a tea cup with a filter built right in at work. Some fragments get through, but it doesn't bother me in the least:

http://enjoyingtea.com/filtering-tea-mugs.html

I also like white tea. Silver needle in particular, but I am probably one of those people who do not make it correctly. :rolleyes: