林愛偉

Recitation and States

This posting was actually part of a response I gave to one of our cultivation brothers here on the board.

I decided to continue the information and write an article on it. You all know I am fond of writing articles. haha

Please be patient with it, it is long as well. I sincerely appreciate your time with it.

Recitation and States

By: Lin Zi Yi

The cultivation of reciting a Budhda’s name is a very simple method to work with, yet requires one to concentrate. This concentration is also called sincerity. If one is sincere, they must be concentrating, or be whole-heartedly applying themselves. Cultivation results in responses whether it be attainment of abilities, teachings, visions and states.

If the cultivator believes in the Buddha in shape or form, the Buddha(s) would respond with that image most

familiar to the cultivator. The Buddha(s) have existed in physical form in the past, and till now, they take on any form the cultivator feels proper in accepting teachings, or responses from cultivation towards the cultivators inspiriation to continue their cultivation of the Buddha Dharma.

It is that responses do come from the cultivator them self, and since the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are actually not separate from the cultivator, there is a response. It is still the cultivator which is responding for they are too Buddhas and Bodhisattva, just not enlightened yet, and free from causes and conditions. Yet, the Buddha(s) whose name they recite also are present, and exist, but in the forms of virtue and moral as a mark of proper Dharma.

This if affinity. The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas respond according to the cultivator's mental capacity to accept a change, a teaching, or even enlightenment. It is as I just wrote in the previous paragraph.

So, affinity is karma...karma is the process of manifesting what is of the cultivator or persons, mind, whether good or bad. So, if one constantly focuses on a Buddha; visualization and recitation, one of the outcomes is getting a response from concentration. Putting in so much of one thing causes that one thing to get stronger in reaction.

It is likened to throwing a brick at a window. If you throw it very hard, the glass breaks into many small pieces. If you just lightly throw the brick, the glass breaks, but the pieces will be much larger. That is due to the momentum of throwing the brick.

Same with thoughts, emotions, desires. Concentrate enough on them, and there is an overflow of them. That is the momentum of thoughts, and karma is the process of slowing down that momentum, manifesting the outcomes from it, and ending it. But people usually add more to it, and get overwhelmed.

With recitation and concentration, the concentration is the function of building up the momentum towards realizing the result of cultivating proper teachings, proper Dharma. The responses is the process of karma working itself out. Being that a Buddha's name is recited, the person may see images of that Buddha, gain teachings, healing, etc. Though it is an outcome of the cultivator, from the cultivator, it is also reaching the consciousness of that particular Buddha, who though without body, is just everything and not a particular form. Basically, the concentration is reaching the Buddha-Mind, and thus there is a response from the Buddha, and or Bodhisattva.

The iInteresting thing is that the names of the Buddhas are actually characteristics of our own nature when experienced. This is what I mean in my previous article 'Non-separation of Buddhas and Living Beings'. Its not that the Buddha is a separate entity altogether, it’s that our mind makes it out to be that way from our conditions that we are taught. This is also why Shakyamuni Buddha discouraged image worshipping; making statues.

He taught virtue, not ceremony, non-separation, not him and me. His way was, and is; Don't just bow to the Buddha, Be the Buddha.

So the images are expedients for those who need to see something in order to verify their attainment, keep themselves reminded of a cultivator who gave up what others couldn't, just to attain complete wisdom;

enlightenment, and also to remind them to keep close virtue and moral.

It is also that the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas take on images specifically to communicate with the cultivator as an expedient to get the cultivator on the right path. Though they are not separate, they still can manifest according to the cultivation of the person because it is the cultivator’s entire mind.

What does this mean; “the cultivator’s entire mind”? It means that our mind is not just in our body, not in our physical head, like many in this world believe. It is all that which all things reside, yet even the mind is a perception used for concentration, therefore nothing that we experience resides anywhere and so is empty; without a nature, without origin. If something has an origin, it has a place to return to that never changes. This “origin” would always be the same. If the experience was in the happiness mind, then the emotion would return to the origin of happiness, and a person can constantly be in the state of happiness.

The truth is, any experience that arises and influences the mind, to result in absorption of the experience, is just a state. The mind is not fully of that one state and therefore the state is not ultimate. If the mind is moved from happiness one minute to sadness the next, the experience is empty. Thus is the reality of all living beings. They experience states of mind which they shape their view of life upon, and attach to it. This attaching to states causes living beings to constantly move through these states causing confusion. In other words, going with the flow.

Going with the flow is within Daoist philosophical cultivation. Yet that cultivation doesn’t mean to indulge in this flow, or even be subject to it. The most basic teaching in Daoist cultivation is to not be moved by the experiences one encounters during meditation, or even energetic practices, especially daily living. This literally means that during one’s daily activities, if they have any thought of gratification, any thought of having accomplished a deed, either good or bad, it is the attaching to states of mind or, in other words, self imposed experience.

Daoist cultivation would be to put down the idea of a self, and simply cultivate the method at hand. Do not, during practice, grasp on to the sensation, but simply let it move on for it is only in passing, and is not permanent. This is one of the fundamental basics within the teachings of the Dao De Jing.

The same is with Buddhist cultivation. During any manner of cultivation, or even daily living activities, any thought of a self accomplishing, and gratification of one’s attainments is an outcome of the view of their being a self which is being gratified, accomplished, and if such a thought is held onto will lead to further confusion. The view of a self is taught to us because it is the lowest form of expression; Me, I, She Him, It They. All of these expressions of our vocabulary assist in developing a world view in which living we experience our world with.

Cultivation is the putting down of these views, transforming the mind from an individual, separate view which creates boundaries and works the ways of the world as a separate entity with other separate entities, to a non-view of non-separation where the only manner of individuality is from the understanding of characteristic used for the function of ending our karma. It is using certain characteristics only as a function of expressing that which is not separate. For example the organs of the body. They all have characteristics pointing to their function individually, but they work together to support the whole formation of the physical body. This is an expression of that which is not separate and utilizes characteristics. There is no marks.

The manner of separation is to work with the ways of the world which we ourselves create and impose upon each other. The manner of non-separation is to work together without discriminating between a self and others. There can be a use of characteristics, but those characteristics are only expressions viewed by those attached to mind.

Recitation cultivation has many outcomes, many responses, and those responses are based upon the cultivator and their views, karma. If there is attachment to responses, confusion will result. So as a means to end confusion, one must cultivate without expectations of attainment and or myriad responses. These things are inevitable outcomes and must not be sought after.

Edited by 林愛偉

So kind of touching upon Hundun's question about whether or not pure land cultivation would work with any mythical being.... I see very little if any difference between pure land buddhism and devotional christianity. In your opinion Lin Aiwei, is one just as effective as the other? And one other point:

He taught virtue, not ceremony, non-separation, not him and me. His way was, and is; Don't just bow to the Buddha, Be the Buddha.

So the images are expedients for those who need to see something in order to verify their attainment, keep themselves reminded of a cultivator who gave up what others couldn't, just to attain complete wisdom;

enlightenment, and also to remind them to keep close virtue and moral.

Haha maybe I just like to take issue with everything, but this has always been my main concern with Tibetan Buddhism. It seems to be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from pure land. All too often, I think what happens with very dogmatic systems like this is that many get too caught up in the rituals and ceremonies. They become an 'end' in and of themseleves rather than a means to end (enlightenment or what have you)..

Brgds!

So kind of touching upon Hundun's question about whether or not pure land cultivation would work with any mythical being.... I see very little if any difference between pure land buddhism and devotional christianity. In your opinion Lin Aiwei, is one just as effective as the other? And one other point:

Haha maybe I just like to take issue with everything, but this has always been my main concern with Tibetan Buddhism. It seems to be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from pure land. All too often, I think what happens with very dogmatic systems like this is that many get too caught up in the rituals and ceremonies. They become an 'end' in and of themseleves rather than a means to end (enlightenment or what have you)..

Brgds!

Its unfortunate, but most Pure Land Temples end up with a fanatical like attitude. I see it here in China. Some are as you say. But not all Pure Land cultivation is like that. What I mean by fanatical, is that the lay practitioners will indulge in Amitabha Buddha pictures all over the house, wear loads of Mala beads over their wrists, and when meeting you constantly say Amitabha. Though it is good for their cultivation to keep Amitabha Buddha on their mind, not everyone they will meet would be so understanding, patient and welcoming of such a mental posture.

I met this of Tibetan Buddhists as well. When a Lama came to my city, one of our friends from a Tibetan Buddhist group called me up and requested I go see the Lama, for he asked to meet me. I went. Him and I spoke for 2hrs while his students waited to ask him about their future... haha and bestow good blessings on them. He gave me his Mala beads and picture of his teacher. When I left my friend and her friends all became excited at the site of his beads.

THey were amazed that he gave me his beads, for lamas don't give anything out to people they just meet, and they took the beads and rubbed it on their heads. As though they would get some blessing..which I understand is just creating affinity with the lama. eh

So, it happens, but it isn't advocated by the head monks, atleast shouldn't be. Behavior in religion is usually the people's influence by their own conditions.

But a foundation of the teaching of Amitabha Buddha's Pure Land for us here, is Virtue, Moral. Then there is mindfulness of the Budha which simply creates strong affinities with him. If one does not have the fate to get anywhere, they wont get anywhere.lol

The whole practice is to keep the mind from thinking false thoughts; daydreaming, anger, greed, ignorance, indulging in happiness, wanting pleasant and fearing the unpleasant thoughts. It is a good mental frame to work with for it promoted good deeds, and builds wisdom.

So the method of Pure Land is good, and not just one way that is seen in the temples today. Actually that is only the method most people click to. But I believe it should be taught more indepth.

I personally recite Amitabha Buddha daily, I have had my own responses, and there are things I learned through it also. All because that regardless of the path in Buddhism, it is still Buddhism.

Pure Land cultivation is vast, and by no means subject to what we see as Pure Land in today's world. Buddhism isn't fully on the planet just for a note. There is more to it than what we see. In our world, we only have a small percentage of what Buddhism is, and even that has become a bit misconceived.

:-)

Peace and Blessings,

Lin