dawei

Gender Option Change

It seems there hasn't been enough community interest to warrant changing the existing gender categories . Personally I find this disappointing. At the very least I wonder if "Not Telling" could be altered to "Not Disclosed" or "Undisclosed". (IMO "Not Telling" sounds like a childish withholding of information.)

I have set the last gender option word to "Undisclosed"... 

Added: Later thought maybe "Not Specified" sounds more like the person simply left the field alone, although you'd have to pick it...

This discussion orginated here:

Let's reduce sexism and genderism on tdb

• Like 2

Nobody needs to know my gender. I would rather be unknown.

right, that's why you elect not to disclose it and in the context of the website, it's undisclosed. "Uknown" sounds like a term used in a police investigation, and it has an aura of Donald Rumsfeld to it :o

"Private" would be a good option, imo. Covers a lot of bases.

• Like 3

If you click my profile, you will see that both my age and birthday are both unknown. I'm asking to bring 'gender' inline with these other two data fields.

If you click my profile, you will see that both my age and birthday are both unknown. I'm asking to bring 'gender' inline with these other two data fields.

OIC ... I thought it was "not telling" and that was the topic here

That's the first time I have heard that term.  Not very nice.

Mostly what I was referring to was that we are who and what we are and no matter how politically correct we show our self to be or no matter was we pass our self off as, we are still who and what we are.

When we are able to present to the world who and what we truly are without having any internal conflicts about it I think we will have attained contentment with our self.

I will always give you support when I think you are traveling a path that is good for you.   I won't comment directly regarding the gender thing because I cannot see inside your mind or even see your body.

If I'm a pig, then I must be an idiot pig. Hence why I did a search and found there is something called an idiot pig. It was not directed towards you at all. 

• Like 1

I tend to agree with consistent labels.

The third option should basically be no option... that's why I'd rather avoid 'other'.  We're still stuck with not being able to simply say "I'm not playing this gender game"...

I'll leave this idea open to see if anyone really has a strong objection to "Unknown".

If I'm a pig, then I must be an idiot pig. Hence why I did a search and found there is something called an idiot pig. It was not directed towards you at all. 

I know.  And I don't want you to direct it at yourself either.  No, that wouldn't be right at all.

And I wasn't referring to you as a pig either.  Hehehe.  That just sounds funny my having to say that.

The saying goes back to Miss Piggy of the Muppets.  The saying was given new life by Sarah Palin.

The point is, after all the make-up you still have the essence of what has been made up to look like something else.

Edited by Marblehead

Seeing the form or the formless? And if the form and the formless are one, how can I label what I am. Not that I am looking from this angle, but I just don't think it would be helpful out beneficial for me to put my gender down. The less personal information I share the better.

I don't like "Unknown" either for similar reasons to Soaring Crane and Liminal_Luke. If it's consistency you're after, then it would be more accurate to change "Age" and "Birthday" to "Undisclosed". However I don't see any need for this as these options don't show every time we post. I'm OK with "Not Specified" or "Private", though I still prefer "Undisclosed".  

• Like 1

I don't like "Unknown" either for similar reasons to Soaring Crane and Liminal_Luke. If it's consistency you're after, then it would be more accurate to change "Age" and "Birthday" to "Undisclosed". However I don't see any need for this as these options don't show every time we post. I'm OK with "Not Specified" or "Private", though I still prefer "Undisclosed".  

Good comments.

I'm proud of my age because what I have been through in life I should have been dead a long time ago.

And yes, the short skirts and bikinis.  Proud of that too even though all I can do is look anymore.  And I'm too feeble to run away so I have to keep my mouth shut when I look.  (I look younger than I am and some think I am still a prospect.)

• Like 2

I'm proud of my age because what I have been through in life I should have been dead a long time ago.

You have a little over a decade on me. And yeah, I consider myself lucky to be alive too for many reasons. It means I consider my life now a bonus.....allows the possibility of contentment; the reality of contentment. 

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 3

Off the wall idea that I'm not taking too seriously...and not that I care if it's changed or not: have the third gender option simply be "dao" (because it cannot be named). Then it also takes any stigma away from choosing the third option, because lots of people want to be the gender of dao. And it's truthful, since if reincarnation is real, we have been women and men throughout our times, but no matter what we are always part of the dao.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 4

Off the wall idea that I'm not taking too seriously...and not that I care if it's changed or not: have the third gender option simply be "dao" (because it cannot be named). Then it also takes any stigma away from choosing the third option, because lots of people want to be the gender of dao. And it's truthful, since if reincarnation is real, we have been women and men throughout our times, but no matter what we are always part of the dao.

Thanks for all the ideas.   I think we'll leave it alone for now :)

• Like 1

After some internal discussions, it was decided that we'll go with consistency.   The 'gender' field is a custom profile while Age and Birthday are standard fields.   So gender is the only one which has flexibility to change easily.

All three will display their {Field Unknown} for now.

• Age - Age Unknown
  • Birthday - Birthday Unknown
  • Gender - Gender Unknown