hey guys i am new to this i have finished reading the magus of java and i need some help understanding what is required for level 3......

• Like 2

Hello ParisTheo, and welcome to the forums!

Glad you found your way to us :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TDB team

hey guys i am new to this i have finished reading the magus of java and i need some help understanding what is required for level 3......

Down the hall, make a right left U-turn

• Like 4

I strongly suggest you to forget all about that Mo Pai nonsense

• Like 8

agreed. ultimately i believe that the book did more good than harm, for introducing people to practical spirituality and daoism etc...

but ill be damned if it doesnt get annoying that its revealed the depth of self entitlement and delusions of grandeur that plague many westerners.

not speaking to you personally OP, by the way.

Edited by Meroe
  • Like 2

The training information for level 3 is not public knowledge. Levels 1 & 2a are all we have. But don't worry because that's plenty enough to last you several years at least. Most people never make it that far in a lifetime.

And give it up for what exactly?

No, ParisTheo is on the right track. 

• Like 1

If you're interested in neigong, 'Daoist Nei Gong' by Damo Mitchell is likely a better bet than the first two parts of a closed system from a book written by someone who long ago left said system, backed primarily by rabid denials of the value of other systems and an easily debunked video of someone being an AA battery. Gosh, I hope this doesn't become one of those endless mopai threads...

• Like 4

If you're interested in neigong, 'Daoist Nei Gong' by Damo Mitchell is likely a better bet than the first two parts of a closed system from a book written by someone who long ago left said system, backed primarily by rabid denials of the value of other systems and an easily debunked video of someone being an AA battery. Gosh, I hope this doesn't become one of those endless mopai threads...

It won't.

A small, preemptive message to all interested parties. Remember that this is an introductory thread, so please do try to restrict your posts to that vein. Feel free to respond to the OP, but avoid arguments among yourselves. Ok? Thx. :)

Note to ParisTheo -- the Magus of Java has been discussed at length in the forums. I would urge you to search out one of those threads instead of taking up the subject here.

• Like 4

...but your avatar shows a figure who obviously achieved Yin-Yang-Gong (or a tandem engine)!

LOL!

this is going to be my last post in this thread, as i see the typical discussion is coming.

it is by no means a mopai exclusive attainment.

have a good one.

• Like 2

If if interests you, go for it.  There's years of work to be done in level 1 and 2.  By the time you've completed them you should have a solid foundation and can look at systems with live teachers who can move you along.

• Like 1

It won't.

A small, preemptive message to all interested parties. Remember that this is an introductory thread, so please do try to restrict your posts to that vein. Feel free to respond to the OP, but avoid arguments among yourselves. Ok? Thx. :)

Note to ParisTheo -- the Magus of Java has been discussed at length in the forums. I would urge you to search out one of those threads instead of taking up the subject here.

The "Official" Mo Pai & "Things You Might Not Know About Real Mo Pai" Thread

http://thedaobums.com/topic/35217-the-official-mo-pai-things-you-might-not-know-about-real-mo-pai-thread/page-2

• Like 1

Yeah? Strange that I don't hear about masses of practitioners of other systems then who can do what John Chang can do...

Based on one silly video? There are countless other people capable of posting easily debunked videos. Just Google 'John Chang debunked' and see what the skeptics have to say (if you're open-minded enough to consider it). For example, I found this in under a minute:

1. "Generating electricity" - this is normally done with the use of a small high-frequency, high-voltage, low-amperage device taped to the performer's body. James Randi mentions this device here, regarding others who have done this:

Randi wrote: This “chi” scam artist on YouTube is probably using the very same setup as the Malaysian crook did, a small battery-powered device worn on the body that develops very high voltage at very low amperage, that can be directed from the body of the performer to anything that’s at a lower potential than he is. It’s a form of Tesla coil, and it’s very effective. There’s also a rabbi in New York using this same gimmick to convince the faithful…

2. Catching a "rifle bullet" - what is shown is the firing of a very low-speed pellet that can pierce the wall of an empty soda can. Then, Chang puts his hand in front of the gun. He is in no danger, and there does not appear to be anything extraordinary about what he is doing.

3. Moving a knife - Chang carefully balances a knife on its sheath. It is shown moving slightly in one direction, twice. With such a precariously-balanced object, the slightest breeze will move it readily. All Chang has to do is wait a bit. In the first movement, he has his mouth close to the knife, "talking" to it. In the second, he has leaned back, so either he's caught a breeze, or he started the knife in a position that would naturally swing away, or else he's using his knee (either one would work, but it's hard to tell from that angle which, if either, is in position), to slightly lift the glass tabletop.

4. "Fooling the experts" - they have a CEO, a doctor, and a physicist. They really needed an electrical engineer. They try to use an ordinary volt meter. If he's using the high-frequency device, of course they will not get readings from this! Some experts they are! Maybe they actually do use the metal detector on his back and feet to check for the device, but this is not shown. Chang seems to be flexing his back to produce his electricity. I would check between his shoulder blades. I mean, they strip him almost naked, but they let him leave his shirt on?!? Oh, and the color-changing LEDs have different colors depending on the direction of the current, not the amount.

5. "Chopstick through the table" - has anything ever looked more like a set-up magic trick? First, he takes them to his local restaurant. Then he can't make the "chi" work on Formica, so he needs to use the bottom of the table. This trick requires nothing more than a cheap table with a seam in the wood.

• Like 1

If if interests you, go for it.  There's years of work to be done in level 1 and 2.  By the time you've completed them you should have a solid foundation and can look at systems with live teachers who can move you along.

if you knew what was going on in level 2 you wouldnt actually say this. level 2 is dangerous and is pointless when compared with traditional cultivation. 

As for level 1 it only takes 6-8 months. 

• Like 1

Aren't we assuming that John Chang has his abilities because he studied from a young age with masters?  If you're not on that very track, you're not gonna become as good.  It seems to me a moot point what John Chang could do, because we are so far from following in his footsteps. 

I studied Aikido for 13 years, but it'd be silly to think I could reach a level like Morihei Ueshiba, the founder.  He started young, with masters (his father literally set up a dojo of 1!), was a genius and mystic.  By definition I'm 0 for 4.  Still I had an excellent teacher who studied under O'Sensei's top student (Koichi Tohei) so I could get some small piece.  But from a book?? ..no teacher or live feedback.. transmissions . connections..  

When choosing a martial art I've always thought one should looker closer at the students then the master, because the upper level student are inevitably what you'll become.  The teacher/master not so much, unless you make it your life. 

Odds are Westerners studying Mo Pai are also starting with those deficits.  Still, the first 2 steps  can take you far (or not, in truth I've read'em but its not a path I'd follow), but so imo can other arts and you can have a live teacher which is invaluable. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

~~~ moderator message ~~~

Now it's official. Please try to practice some restraint here.

Anyone who wants to discuss John Chang and the rest of it,

feel free to go start a thread in another forum.

~~~ out ~~~

• Like 4

~~~ moderator message ~~~

Now it's official. Please try to practice some restraint here.

Anyone who wants to discuss John Chang and the rest of it,

feel free to go start a thread in another forum.

~~~ out ~~~

http://thedaobums.com/topic/38751-magus-of-java-john-chang-mopai-from-courtyard/

Magus Of Java John Chang MoPai (from CourtYard)

• Like 1

If it is your karma to find the instruction you seek, you will find it.  If it isn't your karma, you won't.  Keep in mind that you didn't get to this place on your own.  You've had a lot of help along the way.  Trust that you will continue to be guided along the path.

Seek, but don't seek blindly for some ideal you're hung up on.  Listen!  Listen and look to see what the universe sends your way.  You may discover something amazing, but entirely unlike what you set out to find. 

• Like 4