Sign in to follow this  
Aithrobates

Good bilingual edition for the Inner Chapters ?

My skill in classical chinese are very limited, but I enjoy banging my head at texts that are now too hard for me, but will be familliar one day. I does help my motivation. A lot.

I browsed a bit the Inner Chapters on ctext.org and was able to get my way through some passages. The built in dictionnary on this database does wonder when you don't know a character (which happens to me a lot ^^). But reading on screens kinda sucks, I'd rather use this site as a dict. and read a book.

So is there a good bilingual edition out there  (I read english and most romance languages) ?

I looked a lot, but there are so much editions... it's hard to find a bilingual in the mass.

I think the dictionary on ctext is modern Chinese, while the Inner Chapters is classical Chinese, so it will give a general idea but sometimes a very strange translation.

Here is James Ware's translation, which is considered to be faulty but is at least complete. I'm not sure if it's bilingual, if it includes the Chinese characters...so you could print the characters out from ctext.

I personally like to use the Pleco smartphone app, with the optical reader. That way, I can just point the phone at a character, and it looks it up in the dictionaries. Pleco has Kroll's student's classical Chinese dictionary as an add on, which would be one of the better ones to use for this.

edit: whoops, this is Zhuangzi's Inner Chapters? My bad.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

Sorry nobody seems to be able to help.

I haven't looked at the Chinese closely yet. When I do skim through, I just use ctext, and usually only a small portion at a time so the screen doesn't bother me.

You could print it out as Shidifen said, or perhaps create a dual-language file for Kindle? I have used HTML to transfer a couple of online texts for Kindle viewing...

In fact, I might try that sometime... if you don't ^_^

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this