Sign in to follow this  
Pits&Bieces

Lunar Cycles Effects on our planet

In astanga yoga, asana practice is traditionally done 6 days a week, skipping all "moon days".  This refers only to full moons and new moons.  They're supposed to have some effect on your energies, and I don't doubt it.  The full moon is likened to the end of an inhalation and the new moon to the end of an exhalation - the former you're full of energy and can be unbalanced/emotional and the latter more grounded. 

In both cases, it is recommended to skip practice on these days or keep it very light.

I'm sure we've all heard stuff about how full moons affect people.

I know there's no "scientific" studies or whatever to prove any effects but this doesn't mean there aren't any.

I think it's a common misconception people have that the full moon is closer to the earth than normal, when this is not the case.  Apogee and perigee refer to the max/min distances from moon to earth.  These are the points where I'd assume would be the most effect on people but what's always talked about is full/new moons.

Does anyone understand what's goin on here? Is this a common practice in other traditions?

Edited by Pits&Bieces
  • Like 1

Yes but not as you seem to be suggesting. 

There are numerous Moon cycles, not just the phase.  Plants and animals are effected in different ways, some days are 'bad moon' and no agriculture should be done at all. 

Its all rather fascinating. I am sure I have posts on it round here in a few spots ? 

• Like 2

Couldn't find anything with a basic search and idt I can search your posts could you point me in the right direction?

Edited by Pits&Bieces

Nah ... I can never find anything here with the search function ... I thought it was just me.

The six main rhythms 

probably easier to just read this   http://www.biodynamics.in/Rhythm.htm

Note that the most significant, in many instances is when the Moon is MC or IC , especially so for fish.  But that is all tied in with moon light and tides

http://www.bassmaster.com/astro-tables

Also note, in the first link all the cycles work in  a polarity ... like breath in and out, and with 'pause points', make a cycle of  4 stations ... like we have summer and winter ...( and today the earth is at one of those 'stations' in its orbit ) .

I think it is when the Moon goes from one of its nodes to the other,  ( when it crosses over the path the sun takes around the Celestial Sphere ) that is a 'bad Moon day" and no agriculture would be done on those days, of any sort, I think that is a Vedic thing originally ? 

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this