liminal_luke

TaoBums PotLuck

Say the Tao Bums were having a pot luck -- what would you bring?  I hope it´s something healthy and nutritious for most constitutions, perhaps something that contribues in some way to the Taoist cultivation practice so many of us here have, something tasty.  

If you can, a few words about your choice.  Recipes, of course, are especially welcome.  (And if possible I´d like to avoid dietary bickering -- if you don´t like someone else´s choice don´t eat it.)

As for myself, I´d ladle out steaming bowls of pressure cooker chicken bone broth.  Normally, bone broth is a multi-hour affair but the pressure cooker gets it done in an hour or so.  I like lots of collagen in my broth so I´d use lots of legs, necks, backs, and heads.  

What are you bringing?

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

I'm bringing fresh veggies from Erma's farm, just down the road from here. The pole beans are particularly good right now. (We worked up a mess last night.)

Cantaloupes are fantastic this week, too.

• Like 4

This awesome salad recipe that my friend showed me.  It is delicious and feels like it totally cleans out my system.

Basically: get some kale, shred it up, add lemon juice (best from a fresh lemon) and coconut sap/coconut aminos (it's often sold as a soy sauce substitute but can be hard to find, it is sweet and balances the lemon juice flavor nicely) to it and massage it for a bit.  Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, massaging it every now and then.

Then add walnuts, chopped garlic, avocado, turmeric, black pepper, a bit of salt, (optional hot sauce for people who want it spicy) to the salad, mix it up a bit, and serve!  Simple, delicious (I'm not even a big kale fan), and one of the most nutritious meals.  Apparently kale can be hard to digest raw, but massaging it with the lemon juice helps make it easier to digest without messing with the enzymes/nutrients that cooking can do.

Besides that, I'd probably bring some sassafras tea with honey and/or make a really awesome hot chocolate with roasted cacao beans, coconut/hazelnut milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon.

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 3

I might bring a variation of the above massaged kale salad, and/or perhaps a simple carrot salad: finely grated carrots, some lemon juice, and some brown mustard seeds popped in a rich oil at medium heat. When popped the mustard seeds transform from spicy to nutty - just sprinkle in a couple tablespoons into a small pan, slightly cover with oil (coconut, sunflower, nothing with too low of a burning temp), and cover. Avoid higher than medium heat or they might burn. Just wait for the oil to heat up and the seeds to start popping. Wait until they finish popping (perhaps give a slight nudge to pop any stragglers), then pour over the carrots and mix it all up.

Simple and tasty.

• Like 2

Awesome guacamole and spelt/rye bread from a local organic baker to scoop it out of the bowl with, plus a great fruit salad.

Basically, same thing I bring to all my seminars, haven't had a complaint yet :-)

Oh, and a selection of teas.

• Like 2

Looks like no ones thought about drinks yet.  I'd bring some wine, probably some rum, agave, limes, fresh orange juice, maybe some peach juice, ice.  Should be able to whip up some interesting drinks from virgin to very strong.

I'd probably bring some version of quick cassoulet too, probably veggie version. 

• Like 2

i'd bring some 80 year old 'sang.

edit> wine you say? i'll bring some walnut wine.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

I'll bring my tuna salad. It pales in comparison to all previous posts, but nobody said anything about fish yet. liminal luke bone broth makes me crazy :drool: and wow such elegant salads (popped mustard seeds I never! Mmm.) And I am just bats for avocado/guacamole this is a sexy potluck so far

20 oz (4 small cans) of drained tuna in water

1 whole white onion pureed in the ninja blender

can of chopped black olives

1/3 cup of yellow mustard (estimated)

1/2 cup of olive oil mayo (estimated)

few pinches of black pepper

• Like 2

Here is what I'd serve your royalty...

I make homemade organic 100% whole wheat bread, which has a long rising time to make it more digestible...toast a slice till crunchy. Whole wheat benefits the Heart in Chinese medicine, and in general is considered a healthy food when prepared correctly (long fermentation, baked, toasting it further helps) and taken in moderation.

I also make fresh whipped butter by shaking organic whipping cream in a half filled mason jar for a long time...spread liberally at room temperature on the slice of toast after it has cooled (so the butter doesn't melt into the bread but stays creamy).

Spoon salmon keta roe on top.

A few slices of fresh radish on the side.

Make a decoction of peach twigs in spring water (which has a beneficial effect in promoting goodness due to the peach tree's use for exorcism in Daoism or folk culture)...when cooled, add just enough fresh peach juice so that it's sweet tasting but not too sweet. Serve over ice because it's the summer time.

• Like 5