Recently I went to the short workshop on Taoist Tonic Herbs, described here: http://thedaobums.com/topic/38494-gate-of-life-taoist-tonic-herbalism/

Rehmannia Dean Thomas arrived with many large bags of herbs, which he proceeded to unpack and then pass around for taste/smell/ examination while he told us about his tradition, Gate of Life Herbs, and the individual herbs. His website is ShamanShackHerbs.com

Rehmannia apprenticed with Ron Teeguarden for 8 years. His little book, Elixirs of Immortality, (114 pages) has most of the history, theory, and herbs he discussed at the workshop, and I'd say is worth the $12, certainly to a newbie.

The workshop was really interesting. He said tonic herbs were meant to be taken long term, to build the body and chi up, not so much to address specific symptoms, although the herbs will tend to eliminate symptoms over time. He discussed jing/qi/shen and herbs that supported each. Especially interesting to me were his comments on a traditional Chinese healers' tea, consisting of 4 herbs (dendrobium, goji, schizandra, and licorice root), intended to replace the energy hands-on-healers tend to lose as they practice. The main healers' herb was Dendrobium, but Rehmannia's healer tea, "Recharge," has  a couple other herbs too, over and above the 4 traditional herbs. 

My interest might have ended there, but Rehmannia also offered a custom herb blend based on a pulse reading. He did a pretty good analysis by pulse, and then grabbed handfuls of different herbs (including LOTS of dendrobium!) into a fat quart size bag, which I took home to brew. 

Nearly 3 weeks later, I am impressed. I'm gonna be doin' this for awhile for sure.

I don't know anything much about Taoist tonic herbs over and above this workshop, and will be happy to hear from others their experiences and comments. (Also happy to have this thread combined with the other current Taoist herb discussion in the thread titled "Vegan", but not under that thread title. )

• Like 8

I'm excited about Goji berries and Schizandra, it has worked tremendously for me.

Dr. Tso-Cheng Chang, 80 years young and owner of Dr. Chang’s Farm in Whately, Mass., home one of the largest bean sprout factories in the U.S. Here, Dr. Chang stands with one of Dr. Chang’s Farm’s other main crops, schizandra berries. Recently featured on the Dr. Oz Show, schizandra berry supports healthy energy, vitality, cell function, calming relaxation, mental clarity, stamina, immunity, detoxification, reproduction and digestion.

DR-CHANG-SCHIZNADRA-VINES-600x450.jpg

• Like 6

his book 'Healing Thresholds' is one of my favorite health books (must be OOP, has disappeared off the website) but maybe he's now boiled it down into the one you described. i will definitely be checking out his newer books now!

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Thresholds-Rehmannia-Dean-Thomas/dp/1452500207

i found it a lot more insightful than Ron's book which is mostly on the herbs, whereas Dean goes into depth on the background theory, taoism, TCM etc.

the workshop sounds awesome, great you could attend and get some first-hand insight. if you're looking for a source of Dendrobium, DH 'Yin Replenisher' tincture goes a long way, one of my staples for when energy has been expended. they do the 'Healers Tea' in elixir packs but it's quite a bit more expensive.

http://uk.iherb.com/Dragon-Herbs-Yin-Replenisher-Super-Potency-Extract-2-fl-oz-60-ml/34122

• Like 2

One workshop participant who has had long-term health challenges including a recurring flu-ish sort of illness that comes and goes, asked Rehmannia about using the taoist tonic herbs in his situation, because his acupuncturists don't want him to use the tonic herbs until he is well. But Rehmannia said that it was fine to use these herbs at any time. At least that's what he seemed to say.

Now, delving into Teeguarden's book on Chinese Tonic Herbs, I read that we are not to use the tonic herbs until generally well. Teeguarden was Rehmannia's teacher, so now I am confused. Any experienced herbalists want to weigh in on this?

• Like 2

It's taking me awhile to understand and appreciate the tonic herbalism approach, as it is different from western herbal approaches I'm familiar with. I found this Bodhi Tree interview with Ron Teeguarden really helpful:

http://www.bodhitree.com/lectures/teeguarden.html

In addition to finishing up the herbs I got from Rehmannia, I'm now reading and slowly digesting Teeguarden's two books on Taoist herbs, and contemplating my next course of jing/chi/shen supporting herbs.

The progression in my energy practice this last month has been phenomenal.  Maybe it would have happened anyway, but I'm sticking with the program!

Anybody else using this approach, noticing results?

• Like 2

I used to drink Schizandra berry powder, but the dried berries are so much more potent.

The berries are small, but I have to literally count how many I eat because they pack one heck of punch, seriously.

You have to respect Schizandra or she'll kick you in the nutters, figuratively speaking. The moment you eat too much nausea results, but that's just Schizandra and your body telling you that you had enough. They are smart like that.

You have to crack open the two kidney shaped seeds with your teeth to release the bitter and aromatic flavours, that's very important. Let the digestion start in the mouth, savour and embrace her full, pungent flavour.

Very powerful. Improved night vision. Improved focus and energy. If you're sleepy it'll wake you the way not even caffeine can, and if you want a good night's rest you'll get that too, it's an adaptogen conforming to the unique requirements at the time.

You'll feel the wei qi protective field activate and the qi will surge and move where it knows best.

A dozen berries/day is almost too much, it's hella potent. My new best friend.

• Like 6

In his books, Teeguarden  reports he had debilitating chronic fatigue as an undergraduate, had lost 50 lbs, and wasn't able to find any medical help from doctors. This must have been in the late 60's. A friend gave him a bottle of the herbal tonic Shou Wu Chih and Teeguarden immediately realized it was helping him, started consuming large quantities of it, really begin to recover, and then devoted his life to the study of tonic herbs.

Has anybody had experience with Shou wu chih using it long term? It's widely available in asian stores and is pretty inexpensive.

Guys advices from the first post can harm you health like in amazon book description of "Healing threshold" "Making juices from organic dark green leafy vegetables" - this is harmful from TCM as the raw vegan diet. Clearly this book and author mixed things which works with things which do not work. 

• Like 1

Hi CS,

Not clear what you think is the problem with the first post. He's talking about making tea from tonic herbs, not juicing them.

He is also into raw foods, which I don't think was mentioned in the first post, but I can say from personal experience that juicing vegetables has also helped me a lot. Have you tried it, or just read about it?

The main issue with most tonic herbs is that they're very cloying and can thereby weaken the digestion, which is considered the basis of our life. I personally have experience with munching on too many goji berries, and shortly after having ruined health.

For someone with strong digestion, tonic herbs and raw juices are very good for them...so long as their digestion stays strong.

• Like 1

…. I personally have experience with munching on too many goji berries, and shortly after having ruined health.

Yeah, moderation in all things…. even goji berries…. :D 

• Like 1

Alas to say I slacked off on the tonic herbs early last fall, but I got another round from Rehmannia when he was in town a few weeks ago. I  again find myself making the same comments, that I have more energy and am definitely feeling the boost. 

In addition to the custom bagged herbs based on pulse reading, I got a jar of "Healing Healers", a powdered extract which is Rehmannia's version of Healer's Tea. It's to be taken after sessions or just standard twice a day. I'm definitely feeling more chi running in sessions, but then I wonder if that's actually the point. This is supposed to build the healer back up, not so much to give the healer more juice to pass on to the people they work on: build up the yin candle, not just give you more wax to burn.

Comments from Taoists, herbalists, and/or healers?

Using tonic herbs outside of an energetic understanding of what they do can be dangerous. OP, I'm glad the teacher took your pulses and did proper syndrome differentiation.

Schisandra astringes qi. It's meant to be used when there is leakage in the body from deficiency. If the leakage is due to excess, or there is another excess present (parasites, dampness, liver fire, heat, etc.), schisandra must be avoided.

In my past practices, schisandra was sort of like the cherry on top after a long series of other protocols. Once the body was strengthened and balanced, I would use a bit of schisandra just to tone the tissues to their maximum.

Goji is OK... but it's mainly a food anyway.

• Like 2