ζž—ζ„›ε‰

Affinity-Pure Land Cultivation

Hi There: I purposely put the article here because in the contributing articles section, visitors seldom check in. I feel it important to share these thoughts with us all, so we can get a bit more clear in our understanding of some cultivation methods in Buddhism that are greatly misunderstood.

Β 

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Affinity- Pure Land Cultivation

By: Lin Ai Wei (Lin Zi Yi)

Β 

Β 

Creating affinity/fate with anything, one must plant the thought of it in the mind. How one utilizes that thought(s) depends on how much they want their desired outcome. A Buddha Land is both in mind and also a place, which is still In mind because there is no Out of mind, but they are also actual places just like Earth only without certain limitations through mind.

Β 

Recitation of a Buddha's Name, visualization of a Buddha's image upon your own, studying a Sutra of a particular Buddha and cultivating methods of that sutra. Bowing is a great offering in terms of one's complete mindfulness, humility, respect. So, bowing is also a mehtod to create affinities with a Buddha or Bodhisattva.

Making vows are extremely important because they guide one on their own path of cultivation, reassuring they do not retreat; do opposite of what their vows say. Also, making a vow to be born in a Buddha's Pure Land is a very important one, and must be there to anchor one's intention.

Β 

Everyday reciting/reading one's vows to, Bowing to an image of a Buddha will create deep connections with them, and build the momentum and result in the good outcome of being born, or simply appearing in their Pure Land. Reciting their name keeps one mindful, and keeps one from scattered attention, daydreaming, which is all false thinking. Stop the false thinking and one reveals the true, pure.

Β 

Each method has a function, and there are responses to your wishes. That is the difference with Buddhist cultivation. Though all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are of mind, like all of everything else, they also are Thus. They are there to respond. These methods have results, and if sincerely, which is mindfully, in unmoved concentration, without false thinking, cultivate them, you will receive your desired result, especially attain responses form those Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

Β 

Since there are many Buddha Lands, there is only brief talk of them. Mainly, the methods of Amitabha Budda's Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss are the most simplest to work on, and take on all levels of one's mind regardless of their level of cultivation.

Β 

Simple recitation of his name; Namo Amitabha Buddha, or Amitabha!, if recited with a one minded concentration (sincerity) one will receive a response. How does this response come?

Β 

It comes from sincerity of the cultivator. If there is doubt in the cultivator's mind, there is no response. There must be either faith in the method and cultivator, and or no discriminating thought about the method practiced.

Β 

It is similar to having an all democratic gov. and then on the Senate of House of Rep. you have a few with a communist view... hahahaha The system just wouldn't work properly... not that it does now, without the communist view.

Β 

Responses are many depending on the cultivator's mind and conditions of mind. If they have the capacity and affinity to see Amitabha, they will see...if it’s to hear his name, they will hear, smell fragrants when there is none to smell, they will have the scent. See pictures, formations, whatever... and at the time of death, because of good, concentrated recitation, Amitabha and his two disciples will arrive to assist on in further cultivation by going to his Pure Land.

Β 

Oh how it sounds like a fantasy, and a lie. It really isn't, but it’s just too easy to do, that is why many consider it false, or not so important of a cultivation method. Its simplicity is just its complication, its complication is just its simplicity. Living beings expect complicated things and they can't handle them.

But once they receive a simple thing, they disregard it because they think they understand it in its fullness. That is why Amitabha's method is not easy to cultivate.. hahaha

Β 

Other Buddha lands also have their methods. Some methods are the same, recitation, mindfulness, visualizations and contemplations, bowing, offerings, etc. These are methods to keep the cultivator from thinking ill things that hurt them self and others. Keep in mind good thoughts, and minimize the thoughts as much as possible, and other worlds literally appear on the tip of a hair, in a grain of sand.

There are also hand postures, sitting and standing, lying concentrations to work on... all depending on the capacity of the cultivator. One will not receive things that they are not capable of comprehending, and or even cutivating.

Β 

It is lucky for us that Shakyamuni Buddha decided to speak the Amitabha Sutra without being asked about it. A good commentary of that sutra is spoken of by Ven. Master Xuan Hua.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great article as always Lin Ai Wei! Now maybe it's because I am a very analytical, logical person by nature, but that has always been the least appealing Buddhist sect to me personally. I guess it just seems like really watered down pap for the masses (which I guess it is). It reminds me of the aspects of christianity that I always disliked. Do what we say to do, don't ever question it and you will get a golden ticket to heaven. My understanding is that this sect became popular with the lay people as a rebellion against the more esoteric and less accessible Buddhist practices. That having been said, it kind of reminds me of the fundamental christian sects that sprang up in rebellion to the catholic church. We all know the kind of fanaticism, intolerance and ignorance these can produce. Compare this to the early christian gnostic sects who believed one could have a direct experience of god while in the flesh. Too bad they were virtually eradicated by the powers that be, or we might be living in a very different world.

Great article as always Lin Ai Wei! Now maybe it's because I am a very analytical, logical person by nature, but that has always been the least appealing Buddhist sect to me personally. I guess it just seems like really watered down pap for the masses (which I guess it is). It reminds me of the aspects of christianity that I always disliked. Do what we say to do, don't ever question it and you will get a golden ticket to heaven. My understanding is that this sect became popular with the lay people as a rebellion against the more esoteric and less accessible Buddhist practices. That having been said, it kind of reminds me of the fundamental christian sects that sprang up in rebellion to the catholic church. We all know the kind of fanaticism, intolerance and ignorance these can produce. Compare this to the early christian gnostic sects who believed one could have a direct experience of god while in the flesh. Too bad they were virtually eradicated by the powers that be, or we might be living in a very different world.

Β 

Β 

:)

Β 

The Pure Land cultivation of any Buddha is esoteric (for the sake of saying esoteric) lol BUT they don't speak of those things openly for the fear of people putting themselves on pedestales saying they saw a Buddha and therefore are sages..lol

Β 

I wrote an article called 'Sweet Dew' in that it briefly speaks about some health applications in recitation and responses from reciting. I never go too deep in the "esoteric" in articles for the manner of mis-understanding running too deep with most people.

Β 

There are specific rules to follow for reaching one's desired outcome in Pure Land cultivation. It is one manner of a "direct route" to get to where you want to go. Yet, it is all dependent on the cultivator's own capacity, concentration and affinity already with that Buddha.

In Buddhist cultivation, there is not "ONE WAY" to go about cultivating. Hence the 84,000 expedients talk.

There are specific guidelines, and still those are applied according to the ability of the cultivator, and their own problems/afflictions both good and bad ^_^

Β 

For example, over the summer I stayed at a Pure Land temple for a week. The head monk, the abbot, was upset that I would sit and cultivate Chan, and recite mantras, and take care of the monks and nuns and other cultivators there with Fa-Gong. They didn't realize I was utilizing Buddhist cultivation for it; mantras and visualization.

They received benefits from it, but the head monk was upset that, what he thought, it wasn't through their own recitation.

Though I believe strongly in, if you are in the place with specific practices, stick to them, I also firmly hold to the work with what fits best according to your own wise discrimination, unless you are a confused and ill person, in that case you will need guidance. I spoke to him about it.

Β 

I also strongly hold to the fact that responses from Buddhas and Bodhisattvas manifest through the manner inwhich the cultivator can accept. Meaning, if one is sick, and they recite to get better, and all of a sudden a person comes who can cure them... it is a response from cultivation. Therefore it is alright to engage in the healing work. Its not that the monks and lay cultivators were out there in the world begging people to help them. They were asking the assistance of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. And they gained a response, but were condemned for it.

Β 

Some monks are very strict in their holding to the word of certain Dharma. There were many cultivators at the temple who were very sick, and are there to cultivate and get better. But when an opportunity comes and does not hold the image of a Buddha, some people discriminate against it, and do not engage in it.

The Buddha Dharma is of no marks. Buddha and Bodhisattvas are not images of statues. This is what some people, a lot of people, forget.

Β 

Now holding onto practices isn't wrong, but when it interferes with wisdom, there is a problem. Not that the monks were wrong, its just that they wanted the people to hold fast to their resolve for attaining a very "marked" response of Amitabha Buddha. And though it came without the likeness of the images, they missed the other manner inwhich responses come... Very ordinary.. hahaha

Β 

Β 

I met a 95yr old lady there who broke her leg getting up from a bench. She didn't go to a dr., or even wear a cast. All she did was sincerely recite Amitabha Buddha's name, and the bone set, grew in fine, and she walks normally. Ofcourse she has a wheel chair because she is a fragile, skinny really really really short woman, but she pushes her own wheel chair! hahahaha She literally gets out of it, and pushes it around the temple. Really cute, and inspiring.

Β 

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

always a joy reading your words, brother.

Β 

and you're SO right about the articles section.

Β 

Β 

i posted an article there a while ago, and even i seldom visit that section.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

i have a question: what if the cultivator sincerely believed in a mythical being? would the method not work just the same? i.e., isn't it the affinity and mental framework that facilitates the outcome of the practice, and not beings of focus themselves? it seems implicit in what you've written.

Β 

i have a question: what if the cultivator sincerely believed in a mythical being? would the method not work just the same? i.e., isn't it the affinity and mental framework that facilitates the outcome of the practice, and not beings of focus themselves? it seems implicit in what you've written.

Β 

Β 

If the cultivator believes in the Buddha in any shape or form, being that the Buddha (s) exists in a shape and form, it would work just the same in the sense of response. Because, in fact the Buddha(s) have existed in physical form in the past, and till now, they take on any form the cultivator feels proper in accepting teachings, or responses from cultivation.

It is that that responses do come from the cultivator them self, and since the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are actually not separate from the cultivator, it is that they respond. It is still the cultivator, which is the Buddha and Bodhisattva, just not enlightened yet, and free from causes and conditions.

Β 

The affinity is as you say. The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas respond according to the cultivator's mental capacity to accept a change, a teaching, or even enlightenment. It is as I just wrote in the previous paragraph.

Β 

So, affinity is karma...karma is the process of manifesting what is of the cultivator or persons, mind, whether good or bad. So, if one constantly focuses on a Buddha; visualization and recitation, one of the outcomes is getting a response from concentration. Putting in so much of one thing causes that one thing to get stronger in reaction.

Like throwing a brick at a window. If you throw it really hard to hit the window, the glass breaks in many small pieces. If you just lightly throw the brick, the glass breaks, but the pieces will be much larger. That is due to the momentum of throwing the brick.

Same with thoughts, emotions, desires. Concentrate enough on them, and there is an overflow of them. That is the momentum of thoughts, and karma is the process of slowing down that momentum, manifesting the outcomes from it, and ending it. But people usually add more to it, and get overwhelmed.

Β 

With recitation and concentration, the concentration is the function of building up the momentum from recitation. The responses are is the process of karma working itself out. Being that a Buddha's name is recited, the person may see images of that Buddha, gain teachings, healing, etc. Though it is an outcome of the cultivator, from the cultivator, it is also reaching the consciousness of that particular Buddha, who though without body, is just everything and not a particular form. Basically, the concentration is reaching the Buddha-Mind, and thus there is a response from the Buddha, and or Bodhisattva.

Interesting thing is that the names of the Buddhas are actually characteristics of our own nature when experienced. This is what I mean when say 'Non-separation of Buddhas and Living Beings'. Its not that the Buddha is a separate entity altogether, its that our mind makes it out to be that way from our conditions that we are taught. This is also why Shakyamuni Buddha discouraged image worshipping; making statues.

He taught virtue, not ceremony, non-separation, not him and me. His way was, and is, Don't just bow to the Buddha, Be the Buddha.

So the images are expedients for those who need to see something in order to verify their attainment, keep themselves reminded of a cultivator who gave up what others couldn't just to attain complete wisdom, and also to remind them of virtue and moral.

It is also that the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas take on images specifically to communicate with the cultivator as an expedient to get the cultivator on the right path. Though they are not separate, they still can manifest according to the cultivation of the person.

Β 

Wow.. mouthful I said... lol

Β 

So much more to explain, but this is the gist... haha long gist.

Β 

Peace and Blesings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

thank you.

Β 

=)

Β 

i've been thinking about this the past few days, as my mind has been revisiting the concept of "kill the buddha."

Β 

the hordes of people currently chasing the bliss practice, and the possible (seemingly apparent) confusion of bliss with enlightenment.

Β 

if you don't mind, i'd like to get your thoughts on these things.

Β 

Β 

Β 

AHHHH!

Β 

You said mythical being.. hahaha

Β 

Maybe. It depends if the mythical being is still a high cultivated one. Some immortals fall of the immortality state..big discussion on that one I am sure...and then become human again to ..not start over, but be human again because of their karma. Immortals are still subject to cause and effect.

Β 

:D

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Β 

thank you.

Β 

=)

Β 

i've been thinking about this the past few days, as my mind has been revisiting the concept of "kill the buddha."

Β 

the hordes of people currently chasing the bliss practice, and the possible (seemingly apparent) confusion of bliss with enlightenment.

Β 

if you don't mind, i'd like to get your thoughts on these things.

Β 

Wow.. big question...simple answer which would probably get my head chopped off when I come to NY next Jan.

haha

Β 

Any qigong/neigong, or shengong that gives one an experience of 'Bliss' is only temporary unless they are

cultivating methods that relieve them of their views, and attachments to such things; self, personality others and a life.

Then, they will have to cultivate selflessness. Big mental posture;view..but this view holds very very very light karmic afflictions (attachments) and results in a GRANDER "experience" of actual true bliss.

Β 

My neck is out, and waiting for the guillotine. :D I'll be smiling during it though.

Β 

Peace and Blessings...

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

AHHHH!

Β 

You said mythical being.. hahaha

Β 

Maybe. It depends if the mythical being is still a high cultivated one. Some immortals fall of the immortality state..big discussion on that one I am sure...and then become human again to ..not start over, but be human again because of their karma. Immortals are still subject to cause and effect.

Β 

:D

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Β 

yeah, i thought it might come across that way.

Β 

that wasn't my intention, thought. it's all interconnected for me.

Β 

the confusion of bliss with enlightenment is what brought me to the notion of 'kill the buddha.' to kill the buddha (and correct me if i'm mistaken) is to remain with the stillness, no matter what else arises, even if the buddha himself descends upon you. yet early on, the buddha as a figure can serve as a means of getting around the limitations of the mind. it seems to me like any tool that can get around the limitations of the mind will do, even if the cultivator was able to put sincere faith in a cartoon character.

Β 

Β 

so yeah, why not any object of faith?

Β 

maybe the 'mythical being' thing was a freudian slip on my part.

Edited by Hundun

yeah, i thought it might come across that way.

Β 

that wasn't my intention, thought. it's all interconnected for me.

Β 

the confusion of bliss with enlightenment is what brought me to the notion of 'kill the buddha.' to kill the buddha (and correct me if i'm mistaken) is to remain with the stillness, no matter what else arises, even if the buddha himself descends upon you. yet early on, the buddha as a figure can serve as a means of getting around the limitations of the mind. it seems to me like any tool that can get around the limitations of the mind will do, even if the cultivator was able to put sincere faith in a cartoon character.

so yeah, why not any object of faith?

Β 

maybe the 'mythical being' thing was a freudian slip on my part.

Β 

Β 

I meant that I didn't realize you said mythical being...it was an oversight in my reply.. haha

Β 

Exactly! And I will quote something my father used to tell me as a child so I wouldn't follow the crowd growing up...and I believe it is what the Buddha meant when he said not to build statues in likeness of the physical manifestation of the Buddha...:

Β 

"The donkey is tied to a pole and everyday walks around the pole for a long long time. Then, once you untie the rope and let the donkey go free, he still walks around the pole not realizing his freedom."

Β 

I always likened it to people who break their legs, and need crutches. Good thing about them is that when their leg heals, they throw away the crutches. The crutches are the expedient to walk. Once you can do it, you put them down :D

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉