Sign in to follow this  
soaring crane

Beer-swilling, vegan, Forrest Gump

Some inspiration for the non-animal eaters among us:

http://www.peta.org/living/other/vegan-ultrarunner-patrick-sweeney/

“I am a big proponent of high-fat, high-carb diet and don’t really worry about protein,” Sweeney said. “The mornings would start with a couple cups of the darkest, most bitter coffee I could make and a few peanut butter sandwiches.”

He's kind of a virtual friend of mine, through running forums and facebook, and somewhat sponsored by Barefoot Ted McDonald and his Luna Sandals company.

• Like 3

From your love of kebabs (Food Addiction thread) I assumed you were a meat eater. Silly to assume (that you meant meat kebabs), I guess :unsure:

So you are also a good example of a herbivorous long-distance runner, no?

Lots of great examples of vegan (and vegetarian) athletes, but they're rarely covered in the media as such. People don't wanna hear it...

is my current favourite (I love watching freerunning..any excuse)

I recently watched the following video about Jim Morris. Quite inspirational.

• Like 2

No, I'm not vegan, or even completely vegetarian. But Falafel Kebabs rule! And where they're not available, Feta Cheese to the rescue :-)

I've read some pretty horrible things about British Kebap. We have a lot of them here, at least five in my little town alone, and the product is superb. I always order the "Dürum", the wrap-style, because it has less bread and more filler (shredded marinated red and white cabbage, carrot, lettuce, tomato, onion, plus whatever the particular kabap guy has in his assortment, and falafel or goat cheese... hot red pepper ... heaven).

I could probably get by eating vegan, but it's too much work and I don't want my food preferences to play too central a role in my day to day, you know?

Patrick lives on Manhattan Beach in California and is virtually wading chest-deep through mounds of fresh produce all year round, and it's cheap. I live in the Bavarian countryside where the Sunday pork roast is a holy institution and you can't bring a child to a supermarket without having a free Wiener stuffed into the little one's hands. So we all make our little compromises along the path ...

• Like 3

Yeah. I'm treading the middle path these days too -- try as I might, I will never convince most people I know that it's healthy, or preferable in any way, to remove animal products from their diet (even though I believe it probably is), and I'm not going to refuse to eat meat that friends and family have already bought and prepared for themselves. At the moment convincing people to buy 'happy' meat is the best compromise (I had a lovely rare steak last night at a birthday dinner). But when I prepare food for myself I'm happy to pretty much keep animals out of it.

Yeah, the average kebap here is... well, let's just say they seem like a good idea when you're blind drunk and taste, health, and ethics play little to no role in your decisions. (But as with anything else there are exceptions.)

I love falafels dipped in hummus. Double-chickpea heaven.

• Like 1

I'm trying my best to be vegan. Been vegetarian for a decade. My martial arts brother was vegan up until 6 months ago when he started eating some dairy again. He says it is following the Middle Way basically (we are Buddhists) and tells me I see things too black and white. Like I will be really good and pure for a few weeks then abandon what is proper and go on a binge with drugs, drinking, and some other negative activity.

I am plagued by a weak mind and demons. At least I have hope that I can and will change, and have alot of support to do so.

Moral of the story, I'm going to go totally vegan once I stop making poor choices and returning to negative addictions. He won't be able to sway me to eat cheese or ice cream then.

My favorite vegan superstar and his magical blog,

http://www.thediscerningbrute.com

Edited by ケンジ
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this