Hi Tarot Bums,

It is a feature of many Tarot decks that the 36 numbered Minor Arcana reflect the images and meanings traditionally attributed to the 36 decans of Astrology, even though this is not always obvious.

The most prominent system for making the link is no doubt the one devised by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. It was integrated by both Aleister Crowley and (more disguisedly) Arthur Edward Waite in the design of their respective decks. But it is nowhere as prevalent as in the beautiful Liber T - Tarot of the Stars Eternal.

That deck's Major Arcana and Court Cards are somewhat simplified versions of Crowley's Thoth cards, but what sets the Liber T apart is its reception of the decans' images as found in the Sublime Books, Liber Hermetis, Indian astrological tradition, Latin Picatrix, Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy, Giordano Bruno's De Umbris Idearum, as well as in the "Hall of the Months" in the beautiful Palazzo Schifanoia in Ferrara, Italy.

It is noteworthy that there are many parallels between the images in all these systems, spread out through different times and cultures - notwithstanding the transmission that without a doubt occurred.

But let's look at an example.

xpbs6r.jpg

The Two of Wands is attributed according to the Golden Dawn with the first decan of the Zodiac (the first ten degrees of Aries).

What do the classical sources have to say on this decan? (We find them conveniently compiled in Austin Coppock great book 36 Faces - The History, Astrology and Magic of the Decans.)

Liber Hermetis:

"It is an armed sign, standing upright, walking, having the likeness of a man, standing on feet like claws and holding above his head a double-sided battle-axe with both hands."

Birhat Jakata:

"A man with white cloth around his waist, dark complexion, pretending to protect, fearful red eyes and a lifted axe."

Latin Picatrix (the direct inspiration for the Golden Dawn's decan interpretations):

"The image of a black man with a large and restless body, having red eyes and with an axe in his hand, girded in white cloth, and there is great value in this image. This is a face of strength, high rank and wealth without shame."

Three Books of Occult Philosophy:

"A black man, standing and dressed in white and girded, a large body, red eyes, and great strength, as if angry ... This image signifies and is made for boldness, strength, loftiness, and immodesty."

Further, we want to consider what some of the pioneering Tarot books in more modern times tell us about the Two of Wands:

Book T (this is the GD's outline for Tarot and foundation for the Liber T deck):

"The Lord of Dominion ... Strength, domination, harmony of rule and of justice. Boldness, courage, fierceness, shamelessness, revenge, resolution, generous, proud, sensitive, ambitious, refined, restless, turbulent, sagacious withal, yet unforgiving and obstinate."

The Book of Thoth (Aleister Crowley's treatise on his deck which the Liber T reproduces):

"The background of this card shows the power of the planet Mars in his own sign Aries, the first of the Signs. It there represents Energy initiating a Current of Force.

The pictorial representation is two Dorjes crossed. The Dorje is the Tibetan symbol of the thunderbolt, the emblem of celestial Power, but more in its destructive than its creative form.
More, that is, in its earlier rather than its later form. For destruction may be regarded as the first step in the creative process. The virgin ovum must be broken in order to fertilize it. Fear and
repulsion are therefore the primary reaction to the assault. Then, with understanding of the complete plan, willing surrender rejoices to co-operate.Six flames issue from the centre. This indicates the influence of the Sun, who is exalted in Aries. This is the creative Will."

Crowley's design for the card mirrors its decan's meaning.

11h8hls.jpg

Of course, this short introductory survey would be incomplete if we would neglect A. E. Waite's version of the card:

90d06b.jpg

Wikipedia tells us how this card is generally understood by contemporary Tarot readers:

""The image on the Rider-Waite deck shows us a wealthy merchant or noble, looking out at his territory, or perhaps for his ships that have set sail. He holds the world in his hands, symbolizing power."

This reiterates at least some of the decan's attributions.

Whereas Waite's own words - strongly based on popular interpretations and ever so cautious to avoid any violation of the author's oath of secrecy to the GD - are not very reminiscent of the card's decan:

"Divinatory Meanings: Between the alternative readings there is no marriage possible; on the one hand, riches, fortune, magnificence; on the other, physical suffering, disease, chagrin, sadness, mortification. The design gives one suggestion; here is a lord overlooking his dominion and alternately contemplating a globe; it looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth."

By the way:

This thread spins off a current discussion on the thread "Tarot Set for Advanced" and was suggested to me long ago by Nungali - thanks.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 3

Excellent start.  :)   I am looking forward to reading some of the research I know you have been doing on this.

I will, for a start . offer three things ( some you will be aware of, I am hoping others will contribute ideas too )

1. (minor and in passing )  Crowley seems to have got it wrong, he depicted phurbas but calls them dorjes , but that is of little imprt considering the decans.

2.  ( my big one )  Okay, so where do these images and faces come from ... why look at a 10 degree segment 'floating in space' that is really only a division from the equinoctal point ( as, I think you said decans are tropical ) and decide it is a man carrying his head.

(My contention is, I think you know, it is not a tropical association, but a sidereal one and the decans got their ID from the stars and asterisms in that segment 'of the stars'.   Besides, they both { sidereal and tropical}  matched around 130 BCE when Hipparchus  defined it. It seems related to Gamma Arietis { Aries Gamma}, or ' Mesarthim'  ' the 'first star in Aries'.  )

3. You  have seen this before I think,   but I will put it here as a start.  Also I think it reveals something interesting in that ; 

" the decans' images as found in the Sublime BooksLiber Hermetis, Indian astrological tradition, Latin Picatrix, Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy, Giordano Bruno's De Umbris Idearum, ..... " 

Ramblings on the Thoth 7 of swords.

Thoth_7Swords.jpg

We are in Aquarius . Two main things then; it’s a seven ( Netzach / 'Venus' energy) and the Moon. Both are ‘weak’ energies and relate to the soluble, dissolving nature of Venus and that of the Moon (due to its relationship with Water). Of course, in context with 'air' . 

The Moon is not altogether weak, it has a subtle and irresistible ‘persuasion’ ( like water) and can have strong influence through the unconscious and subtle realms. It could further with the Aquarius energy and lead it along but the Moon can relate (in the gross world) to ‘delusion’, illusion, distorted reflection and influences effected by the deep unconscious and emotions. 

That coupled with the Aquarian ‘un-grounded’ aspiration and vision, with no other practical and grounding influences doesn’t seem to make a good combination.

Further; we still have the original Venus/Aquarius 'problem' (as it is a 7 ), now it is coupled with the Moon. In the five of swords the Venus/Aquarius energy was coupled with Mars (as it is a 5) and that provided some direction and energy (but no grounding to the Aquarian vision), however it can provide the energy to ‘put up a fight’ – but it led to defeat.

Here, in the 7, that Mars energy is absent, Moon and Venus are ‘weak’; the title is Futility, not only will one be defeated, as in the 5, here, one should not really be bothered to put up a fight in the first place … it would be futile.

Often we get these swords ( i.e. a negative mental state … in the mind = a sword.) ; these negative states of consciousness, arising to subvert our aspirations. It’s a bad way of thinking and can disrupt an aspiration … one can get past the influence of The Moon and Venus here, but first one has to sort out this mental state that brings the idea of futility in the first place and realise how it can be turned to an advantage. 

The Moon has cycles and rhythms and pulses, many of them, about 6 major ones to start with. It moves quickly too, from one state to another; the Sun spends a month in each sign, the Moon 2 days (approx.) , the Moon’s seasons (inclinations) are again swifter than the Sun, and of course, the most obvious, the phases. All these cycles and patterns and influences can complicate the lack of grounding that is needed here. 

When we translate this onto the mental plane … and it all goes on in our heads … that is what makes it futile. Those many cycles of the Moon, all those swords ( 7 ) take us a very long way from the purity of the Ace of Swords and the still, meditative mind. 

So much going on in the head … and so many variant ideas clamouring for attention … and mostly negative!

The Sun (handled) sword is trying, it has aspiration … it has vision … it is the symbol of the essential self and its expression through the mind, it stands upright. But the weak influences don’t support the Sun King, the mind has split into factions; conflicting clamouring and doubts. Here, the gifts given to the mind by the planets, instead of working in unison with the Sun have split off and started to manifest as ‘demons’ … concepts and complexes within us that start to develop their own ‘identity’ (sense of importance separate from the whole).

The Solar sword stands upright, it handle on the vision of Aquarius, directing the vision, it points at the Moon, ‘charging’ the Moon, conjoining it with the Sun (the Great Operation; Sun Moon conjoined). But the uncontrolled mind is casting doubts represented by the sword handles;

Going around (from right to left): Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus. The Sun / Moon sword make up the 7 planets. But that only gives 6 swords, hence the 7th sword with the unusual, unidentified (?) ‘unknown’ symbol. 

The sort of thoughts (doubts) these swords can generate are;

Saturn; it ( the project, idea, enterprise, undertaking, etc.) is too hard, it will require too much discipline and organisation and focus, I will be restricted from doing other things.

Mercury; it’s too much to work out, I don’t have the network or the communication skills, it’s all going too quick, by the time I work something out it will have changed into something else.

Jupoiter; it’s too large, too big, growing all the time, I can’t get a handle on it.

Mars; I don’t have the energy anyway, it will require a lot of energy and direction to see it through, I feel burnt out already.

Venus; I don’t really even care about it, deep down I don’t have passion for it, I am not fixated or entranced by it.

And the mysterious symbol (the north and south nodes of the Moon?); There is an element here that I don’t understand, I am going into new and unfamiliar territory, it’s all different and will not be like I am used to.

When they all work in opposition we see the Sun / Moon sword is shattered, the project not only fails, it doesn’t even get off the ground.

Because of the mind. … the untrained or unfocused mind. All these parts of the mind (planets) should be working in unison, all those swords should be pointing at the Moon and assisting the Sun sword. Why aren’t they?

Because, like the general nature of the mind, they have not been appeased. Just as we need to appease the mind (to take its place in the 3rd elemental position) we need to appease the ‘gifts’ or qualities of the mind. These are represented by the planets.

The Hermetic texts outline a system whereby an incarnating soul picks up cosmic influences (relating to its natal stellar make up) and that passes through spheres surrounding the earth for each planet and there it is given the gifts and qualities of each planet to use in life. We need to use these qualities in life, and also triumph over their negative manifestations – the Hermeticists saw this as 'passing' up through the spheres and finally 'connecting' the last sphere into a type of ‘cosmic consciousness’ or level of perception.

The Sufis say to really understand something we need to understand it, not from both sides but from 7 sides. (Remember the story of the men and the elephant in the dark room? ) With the qualities of the 7 planets. These are gifts we are given and should use as parts of the mind - in the sword realm ( the 7 gifts or assistants operate in the other elemental levels and suits as well). If they are not appeased or considered they will throw up doubts and not join in with the overall mind. To appease or consider them is to assist them to come to unified decision in their own level, then they will willingly join in and point with the sword of the magician, and not against it.

Crowley says (in the 4 sevens); “ … bar miracles, can (not) bring any endeavour to fruition.” – This is the ‘miracle’ ; to be able to turn it all around and get the mind working for you. 

The G.D. title is The Lord of Unstable Effort. That seems to describe the process as well.
This card is the 3rd decan of Aquarius;

In the descriptions of these 'decanic faces';

• Ibn Ezra: And angry and deceitful black man who has hair in his ear, and on him a crown from the leaves of a tree, and he turns from place to place.

• Picatrix: A man with his head shortened [cut off?] and who has an old woman with him. And this is a face of abundance, of the perfection of the will, and of insulting behaviour.

• Agrippa: A black and angry man; and the signification of this is in expressing insolence, and imprudence.

The Vedic image of the decan describes a dark man cooking up herbs and medicines in a pot, but he keeps continually changing the recipe. An image of the unfocused mind or plan of action where the smaller planetary swords take over and change the operation.

I don’t see any great difficulty with the energy in this card. After analysis, the remedy is also offered.

A bit of meditation brings it to light.

The Stella influences;

Situla, is a western star on the bucket of Aquarius.

Situla is applied to this star from the classical Latin term for a Water-jar or bucket, the later Arabian word being the somewhat similar Satl, and the earlier Al Dalw.

Gassendi, however, derived it from sitis, thirst, the Waterman's Urn having been figured by some as an Oven! (Hence the man cooking in a water pot as described by the Vedic image above.)

Theon the Younger, father of the celebrated Hypatia of our 5th century, termed this star (Greek) Oinochoeia, the Outpouring of Wine, as if by Ganymede; and others, Greek Kalpe, and Urna, the southern edge of which, near the outflow, it marks. 
[star Names, Their Lore and Meaning, Richard Hinckley Allen, 1889].

There does not seem to be further significant stars in this decan of Aquarius, the ones there are not listed as having significant influence in the old astrology, however there is one on the same longitude outside of Aquarius (which can therefore give influence); Scheat

According to Ptolemy Scheat is of the nature of Mars and Mercury; to Simmonite, of Saturn; to other authors, of Saturn and Mercury; and, to Alvidas, of Neptune in square to Saturn or Mars. It causes extreme misfortune, murder, suicide, and drowning. [Robson*, p.206.]

Tied up with 'malefics', this could lead the native to lose his life in catastrophes, such as floods, shipwreck, mining accidents, airplane accidents, or maybe suicide. On the other hand, it is possible for a positive influence to emanate from Scheat, but only for some people, it can have a positive effect on their mental creativity, if these people are ready to receive such inflow (examples listed). [Fixed Stars and Their Interpretation, Elsbeth Ebertin, 1928, p.82.]

This indicates 'problems' in this decan and could be the source of some of the 'harshness' , particularly with malifics associated, that some interpretations of the card give. 

" Betrayal, deception, getting away with something, stealth , etc. "

~ Tied up with 'malefics', this could lead the native to lose his life in catastrophes, such as floods, shipwreck, mining accidents, airplane accidents, or maybe suicide. On the other hand, it is possible for a positive influence to emanate from Scheat, but only for some people, it can have a positive effect on their mental creativity, if these people are ready to receive such inflow (examples listed). [Fixed Stars and Their Interpretation, Elsbeth Ebertin, 1928, p.82.]

With a malefic and the moon with Sirius (29 Leo), death by fiery cutting weapons or by beasts. If the Moon be with Vega (14 Capricorn), violent death.

With Sun: Danger through water and engines, liable to accidents or drowning.

With Moon: Worry, loss and gain of friends through criticism, danger of accidents and by water. 

With Mercury: Many accidents and narrow escapes especially by water, many enemies, trouble through writings, bad for health and domestic affairs. 

With Venus: Evil environment, suffering through own acts, danger of imprisonment or restraint. 

With Mars: Many accidents, sickness to native and relatives. 

With Jupiter: Many voyages, losses through law, friends and relatives, danger of imprisonment

With Saturn: Danger of death in infancy, domestic trouble, colds and consumption, death by drowning or accident.

[Robson, p. 206 - 207.]

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Michael , here is the GD source for attributing some court cards to  constellations off the zodiac  ;

"  Knight of Wands

If ill dignified, he is evil-minded --- cruel --- bigoted --- brutal. He rules the celestial heavens from above the Twentieth Degree of Scorpio to the First Two Decans of Sagittarius: and this includes a part of the Constellation Hercules. (Hercules is always represented with a Club.) *   " 

" Queen of Wands

She rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Pisces to above the 20 Degree of Aries: including thus a part of Andromeda. "

... and KC Pegasus ,  but not the others   . 

http://www.tarot.org.il/Library/Mathers/Book-T.html#KnightWands

sidereal constellational zodiac.

Its the GD 'astro  tilt'. *

* bear in mind what I said about Hercules elsewhere ( as a depiction on that  tarot trump XI  you posted)  and the ill -dignification  ...  and Crowley's comments on the card. 

[ and to add a top spin   :)  ...  BoT  ref is : (Samuel Weiser  1989 )  p. 282  ; 4 tables entitled " The Court cards of the Tarot with the Spheres of their Celestial Dominion. 

But in these tables, the only off zodiac constellations are KW - Hercules & KC - Pegasus (and the Princess , of course. ) 

* It probably is not in online stuff, the GD Book T has supplementary papers, including 'unlettered T.A.M. instruction ' .

This section is tricky and libel to be mis-interpreted but, it makes a staterment about the GD astrology generally;

" The Planets' sphere which illustrates this manuscript, a part of the Z.A.M. 's Abstract of the Tarot, has been drawn by S.R.M.D. as instructed. It represents our heavens polarised on the plane of the Ecliptic, not on the plane of the Equator of our Earth, so that its North Pole is  the veritable North Pole of our Heavens and not merely that part of them to which the North Pole of our Earth now points.."

Now, is this a mean central point of the orbiting polar circle over a great astrological cycle,  as a pole ? 

And will that put the ecliptic 'off' to include those constellations of Andromeda, Pegasus and Hercules ?

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

A very insightful treatise on one of the cards. :) A long one, too... Not that much for me to add right now; I will restrain myself to comments on a few points.

Excellent start.  :)   I am looking forward to reading some of the research I know you have been doing on this.

I will, for a start . offer three things ( some you will be aware of, I am hoping others will contribute ideas too )

1. (minor and in passing )  Crowley seems to have got it wrong, he depicted phurbas but calls them dorjes , but that is of little imprt considering the decans.

Well, yeah... Crowley (or Harris) also depicted two koi fish on the 2 of Cups and called them dolphins. Better not to be too fussy here, but we seem to agree on this already.

2.  ( my big one )  Okay, so where do these images and faces come from ... why look at a 10 degree segment 'floating in space' that is really only a division from the equinoctal point ( as, I think you said decans are tropical ) and decide it is a man carrying his head.

(My contention is, I think you know, it is not a tropical association, but a sidereal one and the decans got their ID from the stars and asterisms in that segment 'of the stars'.   Besides, they both { sidereal and tropical}  matched around 130 BCE when Hipparchus  defined it. It seems related to Gamma Arietis { Aries Gamma}, or ' Mesarthim'  ' the 'first star in Aries'.  )

The association may well have been a Sidereal one originally, just like the signs were named according to the constellations they once roughly coincided with. As you know, decans have a long history; in fact they are dating back to 2100 BC when they were used for both a "star clock" and a "star calendar" by the ancient Egyptians. Even the medieval iconographic symbolism (such as found in the Picatrix) has, in part, a much older origin. I.e., the axe on the image of the first decan of Aries (discussed above in my first post) has been shown by Bezold and Boll to be an attribute of Babylonian Star-Gods.

However, the Picatrix itself (the direct source for the GD) was written in its original version around 1000 CE in Andalusia, thus it refers to the Arabic system of Astrology which is tropically based. Then again, a lot of related imagery can already be found in Hellenistic sources, from a time when there was much less of an offset between the two kinds of Zodiac (whence it found its way into Sidereal Vedic Astrology).

3. You  have seen this before I think,   but I will put it here as a start.  Also I think it reveals something interesting in that ; 

" the decans' images as found in the Sublime BooksLiber Hermetis, Indian astrological tradition, Latin Picatrix, Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy, Giordano Bruno's De Umbris Idearum, ..... " 

There you go.

Ramblings on the Thoth 7 of swords.

Thoth_7Swords.jpg

We are in Aquarius . Two main things then; it’s a seven ( Netzach / 'Venus' energy) and the Moon. Both are ‘weak’ energies and relate to the soluble, dissolving nature of Venus and that of the Moon (due to its relationship with Water). Of course, in context with 'air' . 

The Moon is not altogether weak, it has a subtle and irresistible ‘persuasion’ ( like water) and can have strong influence through the unconscious and subtle realms. It could further with the Aquarius energy and lead it along but the Moon can relate (in the gross world) to ‘delusion’, illusion, distorted reflection and influences effected by the deep unconscious and emotions. 

That coupled with the Aquarian ‘un-grounded’ aspiration and vision, with no other practical and grounding influences doesn’t seem to make a good combination.

Further; we still have the original Venus/Aquarius 'problem' (as it is a 7 ), now it is coupled with the Moon. In the five of swords the Venus/Aquarius energy was coupled with Mars (as it is a 5) and that provided some direction and energy (but no grounding to the Aquarian vision), however it can provide the energy to ‘put up a fight’ – but it led to defeat.

Here, in the 7, that Mars energy is absent, Moon and Venus are ‘weak’; the title is Futility, not only will one be defeated, as in the 5, here, one should not really be bothered to put up a fight in the first place … it would be futile.

Often we get these swords ( i.e. a negative mental state … in the mind = a sword.) ; these negative states of consciousness, arising to subvert our aspirations. It’s a bad way of thinking and can disrupt an aspiration … one can get past the influence of The Moon and Venus here, but first one has to sort out this mental state that brings the idea of futility in the first place and realise how it can be turned to an advantage. 

The Moon has cycles and rhythms and pulses, many of them, about 6 major ones to start with. It moves quickly too, from one state to another; the Sun spends a month in each sign, the Moon 2 days (approx.) , the Moon’s seasons (inclinations) are again swifter than the Sun, and of course, the most obvious, the phases. All these cycles and patterns and influences can complicate the lack of grounding that is needed here. 

When we translate this onto the mental plane … and it all goes on in our heads … that is what makes it futile. Those many cycles of the Moon, all those swords ( 7 ) take us a very long way from the purity of the Ace of Swords and the still, meditative mind. 

So much going on in the head … and so many variant ideas clamouring for attention … and mostly negative!

The Sun (handled) sword is trying, it has aspiration … it has vision … it is the symbol of the essential self and its expression through the mind, it stands upright. But the weak influences don’t support the Sun King, the mind has split into factions; conflicting clamouring and doubts. Here, the gifts given to the mind by the planets, instead of working in unison with the Sun have split off and started to manifest as ‘demons’ … concepts and complexes within us that start to develop their own ‘identity’ (sense of importance separate from the whole).

The Solar sword stands upright, it handle on the vision of Aquarius, directing the vision, it points at the Moon, ‘charging’ the Moon, conjoining it with the Sun (the Great Operation; Sun Moon conjoined).

This is in essence the sword that we also see on the Ace of Swords. (Needless to say that you will be already familiar with some of the information that I provide here, for the sake of less knowledgeable third party readers, optimistically assuming that we have a few.)

Now the Ace of Swords shows us the "Sword of Thelema" which has symbols for the Moon and the Sun in its handle.

23h3e6x.jpg

I understand this as the harmonious blending of the conscious and subconscious forces that leads to lucidity and sharpness of mind.

But the uncontrolled mind is casting doubts represented by the sword handles;

Going around (from right to left): Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus. The Sun / Moon sword make up the 7 planets. But that only gives 6 swords, hence the 7th sword with the unusual, unidentified (?) ‘unknown’ symbol. 

The sort of thoughts (doubts) these swords can generate are;

Saturn; it ( the project, idea, enterprise, undertaking, etc.) is too hard, it will require too much discipline and organisation and focus, I will be restricted from doing other things.

Mercury; it’s too much to work out, I don’t have the network or the communication skills, it’s all going too quick, by the time I work something out it will have changed into something else.

Jupoiter; it’s too large, too big, growing all the time, I can’t get a handle on it.

Mars; I don’t have the energy anyway, it will require a lot of energy and direction to see it through, I feel burnt out already.

Venus; I don’t really even care about it, deep down I don’t have passion for it, I am not fixated or entranced by it.

And the mysterious symbol (the north and south nodes of the Moon?); There is an element here that I don’t understand, I am going into new and unfamiliar territory, it’s all different and will not be like I am used to.

Good catch. The symbol on that sword makes me wonder too.

When they all work in opposition we see the Sun / Moon sword is shattered, the project not only fails, it doesn’t even get off the ground.

Because of the mind. … the untrained or unfocused mind. All these parts of the mind (planets) should be working in unison, all those swords should be pointing at the Moon and assisting the Sun sword. Why aren’t they?

Because, like the general nature of the mind, they have not been appeased. Just as we need to appease the mind (to take its place in the 3rd elemental position) we need to appease the ‘gifts’ or qualities of the mind. These are represented by the planets.

The Hermetic texts outline a system whereby an incarnating soul picks up cosmic influences (relating to its natal stellar make up) and that passes through spheres surrounding the earth for each planet and there it is given the gifts and qualities of each planet to use in life. We need to use these qualities in life, and also triumph over their negative manifestations – the Hermeticists saw this as 'passing' up through the spheres and finally 'connecting' the last sphere into a type of ‘cosmic consciousness’ or level of perception.

The Sufis say to really understand something we need to understand it, not from both sides but from 7 sides. (Remember the story of the men and the elephant in the dark room? ) With the qualities of the 7 planets. These are gifts we are given and should use as parts of the mind - in the sword realm ( the 7 gifts or assistants operate in the other elemental levels and suits as well). If they are not appeased or considered they will throw up doubts and not join in with the overall mind. To appease or consider them is to assist them to come to unified decision in their own level, then they will willingly join in and point with the sword of the magician, and not against it.

Crowley says (in the 4 sevens); “ … bar miracles, can (not) bring any endeavour to fruition.” – This is the ‘miracle’ ; to be able to turn it all around and get the mind working for you. 

Ah yes, this would be THE "miracle".

The G.D. title is The Lord of Unstable Effort. That seems to describe the process as well.
This card is the 3rd decan of Aquarius;

In the descriptions of these 'decanic faces';

• Ibn Ezra: And angry and deceitful black man who has hair in his ear, and on him a crown from the leaves of a tree, and he turns from place to place.

• Picatrix: A man with his head shortened [cut off?] and who has an old woman with him. And this is a face of abundance, of the perfection of the will, and of insulting behaviour.

• Agrippa: A black and angry man; and the signification of this is in expressing insolence, and imprudence.

The Vedic image of the decan describes a dark man cooking up herbs and medicines in a pot, but he keeps continually changing the recipe. An image of the unfocused mind or plan of action where the smaller planetary swords take over and change the operation.

Right.

I don’t see any great difficulty with the energy in this card. After analysis, the remedy is also offered.

A bit of meditation brings it to light.

The Stella influences;

Situla, is a western star on the bucket of Aquarius.

Situla is applied to this star from the classical Latin term for a Water-jar or bucket, the later Arabian word being the somewhat similar Satl, and the earlier Al Dalw.

Gassendi, however, derived it from sitis, thirst, the Waterman's Urn having been figured by some as an Oven! (Hence the man cooking in a water pot as described by the Vedic image above.)

Theon the Younger, father of the celebrated Hypatia of our 5th century, termed this star (Greek) Oinochoeia, the Outpouring of Wine, as if by Ganymede; and others, Greek Kalpe, and Urna, the southern edge of which, near the outflow, it marks. 
[star Names, Their Lore and Meaning, Richard Hinckley Allen, 1889].

There does not seem to be further significant stars in this decan of Aquarius, the ones there are not listed as having significant influence in the old astrology, however there is one on the same longitude outside of Aquarius (which can therefore give influence); Scheat

According to Ptolemy Scheat is of the nature of Mars and Mercury; to Simmonite, of Saturn; to other authors, of Saturn and Mercury; and, to Alvidas, of Neptune in square to Saturn or Mars. It causes extreme misfortune, murder, suicide, and drowning. [Robson*, p.206.]

Tied up with 'malefics', this could lead the native to lose his life in catastrophes, such as floods, shipwreck, mining accidents, airplane accidents, or maybe suicide. On the other hand, it is possible for a positive influence to emanate from Scheat, but only for some people, it can have a positive effect on their mental creativity, if these people are ready to receive such inflow (examples listed). [Fixed Stars and Their Interpretation, Elsbeth Ebertin, 1928, p.82.]

This indicates 'problems' in this decan and could be the source of some of the 'harshness' , particularly with malifics associated, that some interpretations of the card give. 

" Betrayal, deception, getting away with something, stealth , etc. "

Especially the Rider Waite version implies such.

~ Tied up with 'malefics', this could lead the native to lose his life in catastrophes, such as floods, shipwreck, mining accidents, airplane accidents, or maybe suicide. On the other hand, it is possible for a positive influence to emanate from Scheat, but only for some people, it can have a positive effect on their mental creativity, if these people are ready to receive such inflow (examples listed). [Fixed Stars and Their Interpretation, Elsbeth Ebertin, 1928, p.82.]

With a malefic and the moon with Sirius (29 Leo), death by fiery cutting weapons or by beasts. If the Moon be with Vega (14 Capricorn), violent death.

With Sun: Danger through water and engines, liable to accidents or drowning.

With Moon: Worry, loss and gain of friends through criticism, danger of accidents and by water. 

With Mercury: Many accidents and narrow escapes especially by water, many enemies, trouble through writings, bad for health and domestic affairs. 

With Venus: Evil environment, suffering through own acts, danger of imprisonment or restraint. 

With Mars: Many accidents, sickness to native and relatives. 

With Jupiter: Many voyages, losses through law, friends and relatives, danger of imprisonment

With Saturn: Danger of death in infancy, domestic trouble, colds and consumption, death by drowning or accident.

[Robson, p. 206 - 207.]

Michael , here is the GD source for attributing some court cards to  constellations off the zodiac  ;

Very cool. I must confess that (being a Tropical astrologer), I didn't really pay attention to those Sidereal attributions so far.

"  Knight of Wands

If ill dignified, he is evil-minded --- cruel --- bigoted --- brutal. He rules the celestial heavens from above the Twentieth Degree of Scorpio to the First Two Decans of Sagittarius: and this includes a part of the Constellation Hercules. (Hercules is always represented with a Club.) *   " 

" Queen of Wands

She rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Pisces to above the 20 Degree of Aries: including thus a part of Andromeda. "

... and KC Pegasus ,

That surely makes perfect sense. :)

xf9c2a.jpg

but not the others   . 

Well, with the exception of the Prince (a.k.a. King) of Wands of whom the Book T says: "He rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Cancer to the second Decan of Leo; hence he includes most of Leo Minor." But the table in the BoT blissfully ignores that reference to the "Small Lion".

http://www.tarot.org.il/Library/Mathers/Book-T.html#KnightWands

sidereal constellational zodiac.

Its the GD 'astro  tilt'. *

* bear in mind what I said about Hercules elsewhere ( as a depiction on that  tarot trump XI  you posted)  and the ill -dignification  ...  and Crowley's comments on the card. 

Could you be a trifle more explicit here, please?

[ and to add a top spin   :)  ...  BoT  ref is : (Samuel Weiser  1989 )  p. 282  ; 4 tables entitled " The Court cards of the Tarot with the Spheres of their Celestial Dominion. 

They are also in the online version of the BoT, actually, but the PDF search function misses them out.

But in these tables, the only off zodiac constellations are KW - Hercules & KC - Pegasus (and the Princess , of course. ) 

* It probably is not in online stuff, the GD Book T has supplementary papers, including 'unlettered T.A.M. instruction ' .

This section is tricky and libel to be mis-interpreted but, it makes a staterment about the GD astrology generally;

" The Planets' sphere which illustrates this manuscript, a part of the Z.A.M. 's Abstract of the Tarot, has been drawn by S.R.M.D. as instructed. It represents our heavens polarised on the plane of the Ecliptic, not on the plane of the Equator of our Earth, so that its North Pole is  the veritable North Pole of our Heavens and not merely that part of them to which the North Pole of our Earth now points.."

Now, is this a mean central point of the orbiting polar circle over a great astrological cycle,  as a pole ? 

Yes, you could say that. We once talked about that topic before, in "Astrological Musings". Quoting my post #60 in that thread:

Aha, that's what you mean... Yes, Draco constellation is at the pole of the ecliptic which of course is the orbit of the Earth around the Sun if looked at heliocentrically. It's also what the Earth axis revolves around due to precession (besides the stars' proper motion), so that the pole stars rotate over long time periods. Right now Alpha Ursae Minoris is the closest bright star to the North Pole and will be there precisely around the year 2100 which I see as an important marker for the commencement of the New Age. However, Gamma Cephei will take its place by the year 3000, Iota Cephei around 5200, and Deneb in 10'000 AD.

But the North pole of the ecliptic (a.k.a. zodiac) permanently coincides with the Cat's Eye Nebula in Draco which carries the number NGC 6543 - note the four consecutive numbers! Astronomically, it has other remarkable traits as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_Eye_Nebula

Interesting, isn't it?

I might add that the Cat's Eye Nebula is also called the Sunflower Nebula, both names sort of tie in with the GD attribution of the zodiacal North pole to Kether, or to the "Crown" (chakra), with a little imagination. The binary star supposedly in the centre of that nebula must have special esoteric significance, too, I would say.

And will that put the ecliptic 'off' to include those constellations of Andromeda, Pegasus and Hercules ?

No, you are mixing apples and oranges here, I am afraid. The axis that goes through the North pole and South pole of the ecliptic (Earth orbit, zodiac) is perpendicular to the latter. Whereas the axis through the terrestrial North pole and South pole (currently aimed at Polaris) is perpendicular to the equator (both celestial and terrestrial). The two planes are at an angle to each other - but I am not sure what you are trying to get at.

Very cool. I must confess that (being a Tropical astrologer), I didn't really pay attention to those Sidereal attributions so far.

That surely makes perfect sense. :)

xf9c2a.jpg

Why ?    I dont mean why in the sense of  the KC is on a winged horse , I mean why attribute Pegasus in the first place, how does that make perfect sense ?

Well, with the exception of the Prince (a.k.a. King) of Wands of whom the Book T says: "He rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Cancer to the second Decan of Leo; hence he includes most of Leo Minor." But the table in the BoT blissfully ignores that reference to the "Small Lion".

And every person I have ever talked to  blissfully  ignores these parts of the Book of Thoth  .... or just fades out of the conversation.

Could you be a trifle more explicit here, please?

I was wondering if  changing the position of the North celestial pole alters the attribution path to include the extra constellations .... but I suppose not, as the opposite side of the path should show similar ??? 

They are also in the online version of the BoT, actually, but the PDF search function misses them out.

Yes, you could say that. We once talked about that topic before, in "Astrological Musings". Quoting my post #60 in that thread:

I might add that the Cat's Eye Nebula is also called the Sunflower Nebula, both names sort of tie in with the GD attribution of the zodiacal North pole to Kether, or to the "Crown" (chakra), with a little imagination. The binary star supposedly in the centre of that nebula must have special esoteric significance, too, I would say.

No, you are mixing apples and oranges here, I am afraid. The axis that goes through the North pole and South pole of the ecliptic (Earth orbit, zodiac) is perpendicular to the latter. Whereas the axis through the terrestrial North pole and South pole (currently aimed at Polaris) is perpendicular to the equator (both celestial and terrestrial). The two planes are at an angle to each other - but I am not sure what you are trying to get at.

Sorrry, I have tried to nut this out a few times, your terms of reference seem different to mine ; ' the axis of the N S pole of the ecliptic (earth orbit zodiac ) '  ?    ... I get the perpendicular bit, as , of course, any equator is going to to be perpendicular to its pole .  and any equator  terrestrial or celestial will be perpendicular to its pole as well as any celestial equator is a projection of a terrestrial one.  

I will put it down to not being able to get clear due to the communication medium ....  it would take models and maps and diagrams, for me at least.   

But the significant issue here for me is ;

1. Why are the extra constellations included in attribution to the GD courts .

2. Did Decans get their associated energies from the stars in that sector.

3. If not, where did they get them from ? 

What you seem to be getting at are the paranatelonta - stars or constellations that are co-rising with a part of the zodiac.

Teucer the Babylonian (once again!) already mentioned that "together with Aries rises Andromeda and half of Cetus". Which obviously ties in with your citation above:

"Queen of Wands

She rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Pisces to above the 20 Degree of Aries: including thus a part of Andromeda."

I don't have a complete list of the paranatelonta at hand right now, but I have ordered James Holden's Rhetorius, the Egyptian which contains one.

Thank you for giving this thread a bump, Apech!

Someone please help a dumbass understand how precession affects the current alignment of the decans? More specifically, do the dates commonly applied to the signs of the horoscope need to be adjusted to fit the decans associated with the cards or have these corrections already been applied (or are the decks in use sufficiently modern so as to be relatively unaffected by the 1.4-ish degree/century rate of change)? For instance, the Two of Wands used in the opening post -- would that first ten degrees of Aries start on March 21st or some other, adjusted date?

• Like 1

Someone please help a dumbass understand how precession affects the current alignment of the decans? More specifically, do the dates commonly applied to the signs of the horoscope need to be adjusted to fit the decans associated with the cards or have these corrections already been applied (or are the decks in use sufficiently modern so as to be relatively unaffected by the 1.4-ish degree/century rate of change)? For instance, the Two of Wands used in the opening post -- would that first ten degrees of Aries start on March 21st or some other, adjusted date?

This is an excellent question, Brian. and I wish there was a simple answer to it.

What it boils down to is whether the Tropical zodiac - based on the position of the Sun at the equinoxes and solstices - is the "correct" frame of reference, which is what almost (but not quite) all Western school astrologers assume - or whether the zodiac needs to be adjusted due to precession, which leads to a so-called Sidereal zodiac, several versions of which are popular especially in Indian astrology. That will determine also your positioning of the decans.

Personally, I have been using the Tropical zodiac for decades with excellent results, and there are also good theoretical grounds for it, which I talked about here:

http://thedaobums.com/topic/35896-astrological-musings/page-3#entry572916

This post was followed by a long and interesting discussion with Nungali in which he highlighted that the Golden Dawn in fact favoured an sidereally adjusted zodiac, using the star Regulus as point of reference. Now, I am not aware of any practical astrologer that would have followed this suggestion; if memory serves, not even Crowley did this in his book on astrology. But it seems like it did have some influence on the design of his cards as we saw earlier on this thread.

• Like 1

Very interesting! Thank you! (I'm going to enjoy that thread, I think...)

I found your little dissertation on the Two of Wand above intriguing, BTW.

• Like 1

Your answer is in here ;

can-of-worms.png

Someone please help a dumbass understand how precession affects the current alignment of the decans?

From a different POV  ( than an astrologer , who  does fancy stuff like make quotes, references, empirical research, sense and adds other complications  ) ;

They are now totally out, by the amount of precession.

If precession has not put astrology 'out'  and astrological divisions are to be measured from the E.P.  then any triplicity within a sign is best comprehended as a type of 'modality'  ;  cardinal fixed mutable . 

If you are using a sidereal system  and astrological divisions are to be measured from a fixed star (  near the ecliptic, for ease)  then any divisions in the 'flavour' of a constellation should take in the influence of any significant stars  within that constellational decan  ...  or any star  on the same longitude of the ecliptic that a decan covers  - within observation of the local horizon   ;) .  

The attribution of a planetary energy to a celestial decan , seems  limited  - although taking the point that stars 'energy' used to be described by some as a combination of two planets ,  one can observe that  is a minimal description and many other authors and systems have much more detailed mythologies and 'causes' related to certain stars. 

This is all 'Nungalism '  .....   comes from a wide array of astro information and speculation   (including local indigenous ) .

It has helped me though to really nut out out why some minor ( decan attributed) tarot cards have the meaning they do ....  but not every card.   

More specifically, do the dates commonly applied to the signs of the horoscope need to be adjusted to fit the decans associated with the cards or have these corrections already been applied (or are the decks in use sufficiently modern so as to be relatively unaffected by the 1.4-ish degree/century rate of change)? For instance, the Two of Wands used in the opening post -- would that first ten degrees of Aries start on March 21st or some other, adjusted date?

The dates 'commonly'  ascribed to cards seem based on modern tropical astrology .   Some of the ideas here ( that the G.D. had a  sidereal  or even, heaven forbid, different type of zodiac )  and the decks based on them like the Thoth , show some evidence of  'copying' that , but most seem to assume a modern tropical astrology in Thoth .... are not really discussed in tarot circles .   .....  My 'Hello Kitty Deck' dont got no decans onnit anyways . 

Now that I think of it , I actually have gone with a  tropical sidereal date for a card when I have done the 'Great Wheel'  exercise   ( with a group sitting around the deck laid out as a celestial model, and they sit at their card position on the outside of the wheel ) otherwise you get people ;  "   Gemini ?  I thought I was Cancer! "  and a whole diversion into sidereal / tropical .... besides the exercise is a modern astrological 'Sun based' trip anyway .... assuming a person is represented by their natal Sun's position as the prime influence . 

today's lucky dates for you next month are 4th 11th & 17th.  Lucky numbers are 3 and 617. Lucky color is aqua.  Dont approach otters and pangolins .    A bigger surprise awaits you  .....  to hear more call 004 409 67384. 

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this