Sign in to follow this  
maldor

neuro linguistic programming (nlp)

Just wondering what peoples biews are of this. Now known as a pseudoscience it has no less had a profound effect on many businesses regarding sales techniques.

Is there anything in nlp of any real worth?

Just wondering what peoples biews are of this. Now known as a pseudoscience it has no less had a profound effect on many businesses regarding sales techniques.

Is there anything in nlp of any real worth?

Is not the goal of spiritual practices to unprogram yourself (not reprogram)?

There is alot in there that will help your path.  Its about understanding your mind's software. Understanding=ability to detach from=realization. I think its a no-brainer. Sorry for the pun.

While this is a subject taken up by some as a form of self-therapy, by far the most advanced uses of this can be seen in corporate and political (and military) information services offices, propagandists, mainstream media, and the legal profession - where there is an enemy to diminish and a consumer/believer to pump up and manipulate.

It is not meditation. It is the use of words and language to alter mental associations.

That said, an understanding of the principles and techniques of NLP would be interesting and helpful for just about anyone.

The book I posted a link to is a good start, and there are several other books also useful.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus

I received NLP some years ago, and it didn't work. So don't hold it in very high regard, although it might work for others.

I received NLP some years ago, and it didn't work. So don't hold it in very high regard, although it might work for others.

I think it works for those that want it to work for them. If I'm in the mood, I have found it to work out for me. But then my sceptical, primordial attitude creeps back, slaps me in the face and I go tear everything back down again.

Possibly told this NLP yarn on here before...

Some years ago the college faculty I worked in was flusher than usual with cash and decided to put us senior lecturers through an NLP 'Masters' programme. Our then Head of Faculty was a big NLP fan and the 'trainer' was a chum of hers. We were instructed to attend for one morning a week in term time during that academic year.

Naturally bolshie and suspicious of NLP I didn't want to go, made excuses and was then issued with a 'turn up OR ELSE' memo by the Head of Faculty. Hence I attended the first session not in the most positive frame of mind. Sat there with my arms folded, said very little save asking a couple of pointed questions about NLP's validity. We broke for coffee mid morning and the NLP trainer came and sat with me. He was just generally chatting, nothing about NLP as such, he asked me about what I taught shared a bit about his own teaching career and seemed just generally sociable.

I found myself thinking... " This guy is OK and I have been a bit of a dick." Then it dawned on me and I said..." You were NLP-ing me then weren't you?" The guy just smiled and said... " Yeah I was.. It really does work you know."

Can't say that I enjoyed all of that NLP course, the 'theory' sections left me cold as it seemed they were attempting to theorise 'after the fact' ( making up a theory to fit observed outcomes that would probably occur with or without any 'backing' theory) However I completed the course successfully did the practicum 'exams' and eventually got the certificate. What I do know for sure is that some ( not all) NLP techniques do work and that those techniques work on almost everyone. Why those effective NLP 'riffs' do work is open to a theorised debate that I had no time for when I did the course and have less time for now I'm retired.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Some years ago the college faculty I worked in was flusher than usual with cash and decided to put us senior lecturers through an NLP 'Masters' programme. Our then Head of Faculty was a big NLP fan and the 'trainer' was a chum of hers. We were instructed to attend for one morning a week in term time during that academic year.

Naturally bolshie and suspicious of NLP I didn't want to go, made excuses and was then issued with a 'turn up OR ELSE' memo by the Head of Faculty. Hence I attended the first session not in the most positive frame of mind. Sat there with my arms folded, said very little save asking a couple of pointed questions about NLP's validity. We broke for coffee mid morning and the NLP trainer came and sat with me. He was just generally chatting, nothing about NLP as such, he asked me about what I taught shared a bit about his own teaching career and seemed just generally sociable.

I found myself thinking... " This guy is OK and I have been a bit of a dick." Then it dawned on me and I said..." You were NLP-ing me then weren't you?" The guy just smiled and said... " Yeah I was.. It really does work you know."

Can't say that I enjoyed all of that NLP course, the 'theory' sections left me cold as it seemed they were attempting to theorise 'after the fact' ( making up a theory to fit observed outcomes that would probably occur with or without any 'backing' theory) However I completed the course successfully did the practicum 'exams' and eventually got the certificate. What I do know for sure is that some ( not all) NLP techniques do work and that those techniques work on almost everyone. Why those effective NLP 'riffs' do work is open to a theorised debate that I had no time for when I did the course and have less time for now I'm retired.

Grandmaster! Where have you been? Or have I just been participating in all the threads you haven't?

All sounds the same as brainwashing to me. Affirmations and motivational speaking...all from the same umbrella. I joined an mlm company for a brief moment last year. After a month, I was like "fuck you loons, I'm out".

NLP is profound knowledge used often for petty things, like getting votes or getting laid. Still, going deeper into NLP is going deeper into your own consciousness and I would suggest that it could be a spiritual path all on its own. If you think of Buddha's quick method of realization: "drop all desires.," it may also dawn on you that associations are a key to the mind's formation of desires.  To plumb, or notice your own mind while in the process of cognition and as it unconciously  creates associated emotions-- is in fact a straightforward method for solving the mess that keeps us from living in a state of continuous well-being.

NLP teachers do not talk about desires being the problem, on the contrary. But if you  pursue goal-seeking behavior to its most abstract and final outcome, which is well-being, you might just realize that you can take a short-cut to well-being by just making that your goal. One gets that by stopping chasing goals. One gets to that by dropping desires. And one can get to that by noticing your cognitive and emotional processes as they are happening, and neutralizing their below consciousness tugging. 

Well I hope that makes any sense.

I've been introduced to quite a few NLP'ers in the past and the one thing they all had in common was an uncanny ability to completely turn me off of ever wanting to start with it. I can appreciate that the approach may have its merits, and it always does sound good on paper, but it seems predominantly to attract people who maybe shouldn't be trusted with that kind of information or technique.

• Like 1

Work to what end?

----------------

I see NLP as a communication technique/therapy that helps with changing perception, understanding and beliefs. Potentially with reprogramming, but that is only if you want to use it for that. Like qigong, it is a tool for achieving an end. What end you want is up to how you use the tool.

Some people use it for rapport (mirroring,etc) some for helping people clear up perception about reality (therapy, releasing past pain, changing 'limiting' beliefs, etc), and other ways.

I haven't personally trained in NLP, but some of the stories my friends have told me is that after a deep training in NLP they left feeling like they didn't know what they believed. That they had so thoroughly questioned through a ton of their beliefs that they started jumping off the belief train all together.

That is very close to what I aim for in my training.

Not knowing.

John

Sign in to follow this