Sign in to follow this  
kathrynwyles

The question of sex

Thanks to my very limited knowledge, I've been contemplating the question of sex and Daoism. I've seen in various places the idea that meditation should be used to exercise restraint from any form of sexual expression. My problem with this is the need for human beings to procreate - the requirement for our species to survive. How does meditation and procreation fit together?

I don't think there is any conflict with meditation and procreation. Even sexual expression is not a problem. Desire on the other hand....

The life force is thought to be linked to sexual energy/essence (jing). Daoist cultivation, in part, involves converting jing to qi then qi to shen then shen to wu. Most Daoist monks remain celibate to avoid "wasting" their sexual energy on reproduction and pleasure. They try to optimize their efforts at cultivation and sacrifice parenthood and indulging sexual desire. Some martial artists do the same while in serioius training. The majority of Daoists, however, do reproduce, have active sex lives, and are comfortable using sexual energy for purposes other than cultivation. It is well recognized that celibacy is not always healthy and is not always strictly practiced even by adepts and martial artists.

Edited by xuesheng

When that question comes up I usually disregard the species need to survive and just say - Yes B)

M

I'm with lerner. There is nothing that is not dao. Don't worry so much, it makes you feel guilty.

Sign in to follow this